We Will Turn This Around

Billy M

Reaction score
Gotta kill the negativity. We're going to be okay. Linds will figure it out. It just takes time. My gosh. Everyone is so impatient. I can hear them already - "We have to win!!! And we have to win now!!!!" Have you ever considered how hard winning actually is? Do you not think other teams aren't trying too? They are! And Rome wasn't built in a few days. This program doesn't care about just getting to the NCAAs. We want to win championships! National Championships! Has Linda Bluder ever won an WNBA title? Cause Linds has! Has Tera Moren ever been to the Women's Final Four? Cause Lindsey has! Just stop telling us what we can't do! My gosh. Lindsey will jump through hoops for you!

Ski-Uh-Mah!!!

This will not be turned around. A new coach needs to be hired, or a new athletic director needs to be hired that can hire a new coach. Good players, with other options, will start to leave (like the many before them - Scalia) once they realize that there is no hope of winning. The talent pool is not deep on this team. I would start playing more bench players to see what they can offer. The starters are not getting the job done.

Gotta kill the negativity. We're going to be okay. Linds will figure it out. It just takes time. My gosh. Everyone is so impatient. I can hear them already - "We have to win!!! And we have to win now!!!!" Have you ever considered how hard winning actually is? Do you not think other teams aren't trying too? They are! And Rome wasn't built in a few days. This program doesn't care about just getting to the NCAAs. We want to win championships! National Championships! Has Linda Bluder ever won an WNBA title? Cause Linds has! Has Tera Moren ever been to the Women's Final Four? Cause Lindsey has! Just stop telling us what we can't do! My gosh. Lindsey will jump through hoops for you!

Ski-Uh-Mah!!!
My sarcasm detector is not a well-oiled machine, but references to “Linda Bluder” and “Tera Moren” seem fully tongue-in-cheek.

These kids are taking their lumps but they are not far off from dishing a lot more lumps back to the opponent. Indiana is a large, physical tough team, very rugged. Tonight I felt the Gophers were intimidated to start the game but as play went on these ladies stepped up to the level of competition. It was suttle at times, even with the turnovers they had some right ideas, just a little hesitant and lacking anticipation. All of that comes with game experience. Team is kind of like a newborn animal rising to its feet, shaking off the pain and gasping for a breath at times. Believe it or not they are starting to rise and are building some continuity. The effort was present tonight and I was happy to see that. As the game went on our Gophers started to compete and play a little more of an attack style basketball even if Indiana lost focus. It was a small spark but it was starting a sizzle. There were flashes, you could see it, and the want to is in the "works". I know I have been a cranky critic lacking patience, and it is easy to be one from the outside looking in, but I'm seeing signs that they are starting to organize and the light bulb is turning on even if a little dim right now. The kids playing have talent, now they just need time to click. They will be the ass kickers sooner than we think, with more depth and a few more pieces to the puzzle. Maroon colored glasses I know but the hard work is building something, and the turn is starting. THEY ARE UNDERSTANDING WHAT BIG 10 BALL IS About. That is a start.

Last edited:

THEY ARE UNDERSTANDING WHAT BIG 10 BALL IS About. That is a start.

And The Patriot League and Summit League… today as it stands it’s bad basketball and it starts with the coach…

Ski-Uh-Mah!!!
You say this program is about winning National Championships. Well, you fooled me. To date Lindsey has led her team to the WNIT twice (hardly an accomplishment as that only means we're in the top 100). Her overall record in the Big Ten is dismal, with only one winning season. Except for this year's freshman class, she has not recruited well. The top MN high school recruits are again leaving for other schools (Michigan, South Carolina, Stanford, etc). Her current team seems to be going backwards. Playing well in the 2nd half of a game that was over at half time isn't much to brag about. Never giving up while playing fundamentally unsound basketball isn't going to take you far. Going to the Final Four as a player or winning the WNBA as a player obviously hasn't carried over to her coaching. Knowing basketball and teaching basketball are two entirely different things. At the time Lindsey was hired, I thought it was a risk worth taking. And I still don't regret it, but it's time to recognize that when you gamble, sometimes you lose.

Top Bottom