We were up 21-3 at the end of the 1st quarter...

John Galt

Reaction score
and cruising. The offense looked great and it appeared we were going to get the blowout win we were all expecting. After that, we were outplayed and outscored 29-13 over the final 3 quarters to a bad Rutgers team. We were clearly prepared to play and came out with intensity in the 1st quarter. So which of these 3 things happened:

1. We were thoroughly outcoached by Rutgers the rest of the game. They made adjustments and we couldn't respond.
2. Our players coasted and didn't play with intensity.
3. The first quarter was an anomaly, and we are basically at about the same level as Rutgers.

Any of the 3 options are pretty disheartening.

I think we've also learned that KiAnte Hardin is our defensive MVP. Without him, we gave up a bundle of points to some bad nc teams, 29 to PSU, and 32 to Rutgers today. With him in the B1G games, we gave up 14 to Iowa and 10 at Maryland. Everyone is critical of Myrick, and it's justified to some extent, but keep in mind in past years he was covering the other teams 2nd or 3rd best WR and this year he is usually on their best wideout.

I liked the offensive strategy in the first quarter. It changed when we went up 21-3 and MN lost their edge.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This is why teams like Ohio State and Michigan crush a team like Rutgers. They continue to execute their game plan regardless of how much they get up.

I liked the offensive strategy in the first quarter. It changed when we went up 21-3 and MN lost their edge.

Yep, we were doing a nice job of mixing it up early on. Then went one dimensional. Why not keep doing what was working?

Yep, we were doing a nice job of mixing it up early on. Then went one dimensional. Why not keep doing what was working?

Because that is what Rutgers would expect? I don't know. TC and JJ are disappointing.

I turned to my companion during the second half and said I thought Leidner must have hurt his arm, because they weren't even trying to throw. Then on the next play he threw the ball for the first time in about ten minutes. There goes that theory.

Top Bottom