We need to dig deeper

gopherfield

Reaction score
Rather than a re-tread aging coach out of work (Fulmer, Barnett, Mason, Bellotti etc) or an out of work coach with baggage (Leach, Mangino, Leavitt, etc). We need to find that unexpected move.

Many of the "rising-star" candidates still have questions marks, - Al Golden holding-out for PSU job and wanting to stay in the East, Kevin Sumlin - up to the task in the Big Ten?, right kind of offense, etc.

Patterson,Peterson and Harbaugh considered too hot of commodities and are prospects only because they are expected to want to move, - when they move it would be for Florida, USC, Texas, Michigan, etc.

We need to find that guy who appears to be stable, but doesn't like the current Admin, city, school, contract, scrutiny, etc and wants to get back to the Midwest and/or coach in the BigTen. Could be a sitting coach, a really good Coordinator, or even an NFL guy. I don't want recycled NFL guys, but an assistant who has a lot of college experience, and wants to get back to the College game (the way Saban, Ferentz, etc did)

Our current prospects will be the same prospects of everyone else who needs a coach. I think we will dig deeper and find someone unexpected. Just like Tubby might have been forced-out after another year, but no one in MN really saw that one coming when he was hired here.

Speculative Example: Gary Pinkel at the current coach of undefeated and 11th ranked Missouri. Why he might move: Ohio guy with roots in BigTen. Looks like not only will Missouri never end-up in the BigTen, but Big12 is still likely to dissolve within 2 - 5 yrs. This could hurt recruiting going forward, and if and when Big12 dissolves, - where do they go? C-USA, Sunbelt, or a new minor-league conference formed from remaining former B12 North schools?

Speculative Example: Gary Pinkel at the current coach of undefeated and 11th ranked Missouri. Why he might move: Ohio guy with roots in BigTen. Looks like not only will Missouri never end-up in the BigTen, but Big12 is still likely to dissolve within 2 - 5 yrs. This could hurt recruiting going forward, and if and when Big12 dissolves, - where do they go? C-USA, Sunbelt, or a new minor-league conference formed from remaining former B12 North schools?

Only problem with Pinkel is that his buyout would be enormous. He's set to make $2.5 million/season until 2015 at Missouri. No way does the U pick that up.

In terms of a Tubby-type hire...

...Mark Richt.

Provide him with a "Golden (Gopher) Parachute" from the UGA job.

We could do worse.

Go Gophers! Beat PSU!

I agree

I agree with your post. Let's try to get a guy that has plenty of tread left on his tires. Richt would be the perfect canidate. I think Tommy Tuberville would be a good selection also. Stoops at Arizona would be good also. Peterson's heart desire might be to coach at Minnesota rather than Boise.

Only problem with Pinkel is that his buyout would be enormous. He's set to make $2.5 million/season until 2015 at Missouri. No way does the U pick that up.

I agree buyouts could be an issue and/or a prohibitive factor with some candidates, and Pinkel was just speculative. That said, the buyouts are not always very high and they do not equate to their annual compensation times the number of remaining years. For instance, Pinkel's current buyout is under $2 mil and it goes down every year (It's 1.5mil in calendar year 2011)

Top Bottom