We NEED a rotation

ChemEGopher

Section 133 Row 28!!!!!!!!!!!!
Reaction score
I love Tubby as much as the next Gopher fan, but I think he is making a huge mistake by trying to give minutes to 12 guys. I felt like we spent the whole game trying to figure out who was hot and what combinations worked. You can do this with a nine-man rotation, but with twelve guys it takes too long to. With all twelve guys playing, no one except for maybe Zero could get any rythm going. Basketball is a game of runs. To get on a run you need to leave the same 5 guys in for more than 60 seconds.

I realize Tubby has a difficult task in determining which players will make up the top nine, but it's part of his job and he needs to do it ASAP.

There might be a method to the madness

Tubby might be trying to find out who can handle the level of play in the B10 early in the conference season. Remember, this is a long season and the program is still building with young parts. He may just want to find out what he has.

I feel the same way. He needs to find a 9 person rotation. It is nice to have fresh legs but rythm is a huge part of the game as well. I think bostick and carter should be seeing the floor more than busch and joseph and jamal should not get any playing time. I hate to say that but we have to much talent to throw people out there for 3 or 4 minutes.

I like his starting 5. Hoffarber, carter, and bostick should be the first 3 off of the bench. Follow them with Big john. I would only use joseph when nolen needs a breather, which it looks like he started to do today, and busch and jamal if we have foul trouble.

My guess is you are going to see more substitutions based on match ups. I think Joseph needs to play and Bostick and Carter have a lot catching up to do. Busch will continiue to get his miniutes. I've become a Busch fan but he needs a shave.

I know everybody is jacked up after a loss when we so wanted to win, but I think I'll defer to Tubby on this one. It looked to me like he was trying to find a combination that would work and never found it. I don't think anybody was at all consistent. Al is in there consistently because he is our best point but I didn't think he looked that great today -- he was far from the best point guard on the floor. DJ has been consistent for us but I'd say he had his worst game of the year. Westbrook was up and down -- he'd make a great play and then a lousy one.

MSU was the better team today, by far. Will they be at the end of the year? Who knows. But I think we will all agree looking back when March rolls around that there was no shame losing to MSU. This MSU team is the real deal. But that certainly doesn't mean we won't be in the 5th or better range in the B10.

My guess is you are going to see more substitutions based on match ups. I think Joseph needs to play and Bostick and Carter have a lot catching up to do. Busch will continiue to get his miniutes. I've become a Busch fan but he needs a shave.

>>Tubby might be trying to find out who can handle the level of play in the B10 early in the conference season. Remember, this is a long season and the program is still building with young parts. He may just want to find out what he has<<

Exactly. This is a marathon, not a sprint. We've got almost 20 games left in the season, no better time than the present to find out just what we're dealing with.

Also, somebody mentioned earlier that they wish we hadn't started with MSU. I'm glad we did. What better way to find out what kind of team we have, where we're lacking the most, and what the hell, we're already half done with what could be the toughest game on our schedule.

8-9 man rotation is the norm for most high level teams. I would love to see TB and JAS on the bench until garbage time.

TB actually contributes.

Where's all the support for the wasted scholarship we call Payton?

I agree that we need a more defined rotation, but the need for you to learn how to dance is greater.

8-9 man rotation is the norm for most high level teams. I would love to see TB and JAS on the bench until garbage time.

F Johnson, Carter
C Iverson, Sampson
G Hoffarber, Westbrook
G Nolen, Joseph

Those are Top 8 probably.

I was hoping John Williams would bang some bodies around out there. Apparently he doesnt understand his role as he was trying post moves starting 10 feet from the basket. Not his strength. Damien also was out of it, shooting 3's again? I have no problem with Busch, he is earning his minutes. Carter has to show me something before I'd sit Busch. Bostick has trouble running the floor and playing defense. I am not sure if he isn't a good athlete or if it's something else.

I would add Busch in there as well. Heck the dude scored 8 points wed. He as actual been one of the most consistant workers out there. The guy maybe lacks the total athleticism but he does what he is supposed to.

Izzo says:

From the strib:
Michigan State men's basketball coach Tom Izzo said that Gophers counterpart Tubby Smith is still looking for his top players in his rotation; Smith has been playing 12 or 13 players in recent games. "I thought they came out so aggressive in the Louisville game and yet it's hard to do what Tubby was doing," Izzo said after the Spartans beat the Gophers on Wednesday. "I've been going through that a little bit myself, you're playing 12 guys early and now you've got to try and find your rotation and kind of grow, and I don't think I've found my rotation. I think the [Paul] Carter kid is going to be part of theirs eventually, and so they're still a work in progress, too. When you go from playing a lot guys and you start shrinking it down, it makes a difference in conference play. But the way they played against Louisville, they could have beaten anybody that day -- their defense, their toughness was a lot more 'team' than us, to be honest with you."

Truth,

So how many years of breaks has the kid actually earned?

Top Bottom