We have a team of parts, no big guard.

march madness

Reaction score
Until we get a guard with size, athleticism, and skill we will always be a team who cannot hold unto leads whose offense stalls at end of games. We have no McCamey, Turner, Crawford, Lucas, Hughes, Moore. How do we get one? We need an athletic, quick, and strong guard who can get to the basket as the shotclock winds down. Our 5'11" finisher is granduating. We hope for Nolen to get eligible, practice finishing, shooting, or we place our hopes in Corey? I don't know?

Rodney is scared to dribble and we are hoping to land a guy named Cory Joseph... but I don't know anything about a Corey ;)

Aside from that I 99% expect to have Al back for the entire season.

Rodney is the closest athlete we have. His ballhandling is no where near what those other players I listed are. He is more of a forward right now. But I am eagerly awaiting his improvement. I seriously doubt he will be playing guard for us.

Rodney is scared to dribble and we are hoping to land a guy named Cory Joseph... but I don't know anything about a Corey ;)

Aside from that I 99% expect to have Al back for the entire season.

Not just scared to dribble...he can't dribble-yet.

I've written this before, but if we get Trevor and Royce for next year, we will have one of the biggest and deepest front courts in the country. With that much size, we could get by without having that really good off-guard that drives. Hoff and Devoe will have tons of shots from the outside to help out.

Imagine if you will: Colton and Ralph at the 5. Royce and Trevor and the 4. Carter and Williams at the 3. You don't get much better than that really. Take out Royce and we still are fine for a couple of years at the power spots.

Tubby is recruiting this type of player. Rodney last year and Hollins this year.

Tubby has to upgrade if the big wins and occasional championships are ever going to come.

Until we get a guard with size, athleticism, and skill we will always be a team who cannot hold unto leads whose offense stalls at end of games. We have no McCamey, Turner, Crawford, Lucas, Hughes, Moore. How do we get one? We need an athletic, quick, and strong guard who can get to the basket as the shotclock winds down. Our 5'11" finisher is granduating. We hope for Nolen to get eligible, practice finishing, shooting, or we place our hopes in Corey? I don't know?

Joseph was starting to get to the basket in the BT tournement and a little against Xavier. Get him the ball in a position where he can do that and he will get some points. The post players need to learn to dump it back out when they are double teamed. I think that would generate more oppurtunities for Hoffarber and Joseph on the perimeter. The offense tended to pass it around the outside, if it went into the post it never came back out again.

Joseph was starting to get to the basket in the BT tournement and a little against Xavier. Get him the ball in a position where he can do that and he will get some points. The post players need to learn to dump it back out when they are double teamed. I think that would generate more oppurtunities for Hoffarber and Joseph on the perimeter. The offense tended to pass it around the outside, if it went into the post it never came back out again.

Agreed.

I disagree on the post players.

Both Sampson and Iverson are good passers, and if anything they have been too willing to pass the ball out. Believe me defenses love when we don't get the ball inside and the guards just "weave it around" and jack up three's.

When we get it inside, it forces the defender to try to front the post player, guess who has rebounding positon. Guess the percentage of three's when the ball goes in and comes back out to the 3?

Anyone see the wins in the big ten tournament? Two main reasons: Joseph became a player and an intention on getting the ball into the post --deep(mostly Iverson).

Top Bottom