We are a dream job.

goldenboy

Reaction score
At least for Coyle. Nice to be on the receiving end of a "Lou Holtz move" this time.

I was thinking that yesterday - very true.

While we may not have one of the two premier sports competing for national titles, from an AD's perspective, I would argue that we are a Top 10-15 job when you look at the entire portfolio that they get to manage. We are consistently a Top 10 Directors Cup finisher, we'll have great facilities in a year, access to one of the largest alumni bases in the nation, beautiful city to live in, access to Fortune 500 companies (we often chide about some of the lifestyle angles for recruits or even coaches, but it is more significant for ADs IMO), we have a tremendous media market to tap into, we offer a rare third major men's sport that only a hand full of programs offer, and if the AD can build a national competitor in football or men's basketball, he'll get a ton of credit as opposed to walking into an already strong national program.

There are programs like Ohio State, Texas, Stanford, etc. that are a cut above us, but from an AD standpoint, we are absolutely a destination job and a strong Top 20 job, maybe better.

Let's hope Coyle is everything we need him to be.

Go Gophers!!

While we may not have one of the two premier sports competing for national titles, from an AD's perspective, I would argue that we are a Top 10-15 job when you look at the entire portfolio that they get to manage. We are consistently a Top 10 Directors Cup finisher, we'll have great facilities in a year, access to one of the largest alumni bases in the nation, beautiful city to live in, access to Fortune 500 companies (we often chide about some of the lifestyle angles for recruits or even coaches, but it is more significant for ADs IMO), we have a tremendous media market to tap into, we offer a rare third major men's sport that only a hand full of programs offer, and if the AD can build a national competitor in football or men's basketball, he'll get a ton of credit as opposed to walking into an already strong national program.

There are programs like Ohio State, Texas, Stanford, etc. that are a cut above us, but from an AD standpoint, we are absolutely a destination job and a strong Top 20 job, maybe better.

Go Gophers!!
Yes, I thought the same thing - great AD job in a terrific metro area. Hope this works out.

Go Gophers!!

+1

It's strange that we can have so many threads about the dumpster fire of many of our major programs and then see others that put us just below Texas and Ohio State.

I'm sure there are a few athletic directors around the nation that generally do their job because they love managing all of the sports...but let's be honest: most want to coach a titanic football and/or basketball program.

I'm glad Coyle is here and that he seems to want to be...but let's not get carried away. I hope he makes us a general destination program.

Go Gophers!!

In some ways, Minnesota is a "sleeping giant" in the world of college athletics. Lots of potential and plus's abound but, as in the past, many roadblocks and obstacles persist that have hamstrung the U of M in its quest to rise to a top rung status. Sure the Directors Cup standings are impressive but the major drawback is the low tier performance of the basketball and football programs for many decades.

Many have lamented that fact that Minnesota should be able to raise itself to the level of Wisconsin and Iowa. What is different at Minnesota and why has that not happened? Minnesota has much more to offer considering the business and social climate compared to Madison and Iowa City. And most realize that the pro sports are a very real factor when it comes to the entertainment dollar. But the Gophers have failed miserably in comparison.

It seems as the UM has had its share of problems lately with the investigations, problems within the basketball program and a long history of lack of success in men's basketball and football. Even men's hockey is on a down swing. And a community that is not willing to fully support the AD program with its attendance and donations. It seems as if a lot of long time season ticket holders are calling it quits.

I hardly call it a top 20 job. Maybe a top 40 at best.

How can a new AD change that? IMO, this a very tough job.

In some ways, Minnesota is a "sleeping giant" in the world of college athletics. Lots of potential and plus's abound but, as in the past, many roadblocks and obstacles persist that have hamstrung the U of M in its quest to rise to a top rung status. Sure the Directors Cup standings are impressive but the major drawback is the low tier performance of the basketball and football programs for many decades.

Many have lamented that fact that Minnesota should be able to raise itself to the level of Wisconsin and Iowa. What is different at Minnesota and why has that not happened? Minnesota has much more to offer considering the business and social climate compared to Madison and Iowa City. And most realize that the pro sports are a very real factor when it comes to the entertainment dollar. But the Gophers have failed miserably in comparison.

It seems as the UM has had its share of problems lately with the investigations, problems within the basketball program and a long history of lack of success in men's basketball and football. Even men's hockey is on a down swing. And a community that is not willing to fully support the AD program with its attendance and donations. It seems as if a lot of long time season ticket holders are calling it quits.

I hardly call it a top 20 job. Maybe a top 40 at best.

How can a new AD change that? IMO, this a very tough job.

It's a tough job because of our past 40 years of history in major sports. It's also a tough job because casual fans can hit the road for any pro sport they like any time the Gopher fortunes are flagging. It's not the Gophers or nothing around here- it's survival of the fittest. It's a tough job because the local media seems to only really care about the Gophers in a big way if there is a problem to report on.

It's a great job because the potential is amazing: It's a great University, world class and then to be the only D1 school in all the major sports in the state and to have the business climate to sell recruits should be a home run. We have to get over the hump. The Clem Final Four team should have been that program turning moment and then the scandal..

Of course a new AD can turn everything around. If he hires great coaches then winning huge takes care of the rest. UW was truly terrible at football and basketball with poor attendance and struggling for cash. Hiring Pat Richter changed everything because he could tap into the best knowledge and voices on who to hire. Very few people knew Barry Alvarez but Richter got great reports from Tom Osborne, John Robinson. The Bennett hire was quiet but behind the scenes Al Maguire, Bob Knight and John Wooden knew him and about him. They had been to his clinics and seen his teams. Heck, he won without recruiting. This AD hire was fantastic. Coyle is respected in ways NT never was and never will be. Bad AD's make bad hires.

Coyle is respected in ways NT never was and never will be. Bad AD's make bad hires.

I think Stollings actually will be the Woody hire most people look back upon and shake their head. Not impressed with her at all, either publicly or how she recruits (throw crap up against the wall and hope it sticks) & what she does with the talent at her disposal. We've seen the best Stollings has to offer, and that's 1 winless NCAA Tournament with WNBA talents the likes of Banham, Amanda ZB, Shae Kelley, and (likely) Carlie Wagner on her roster.

Another factor, which I think Bleed implicitly has in his post and is perhaps stating the obvious, but we are a flagship university in the most stable, profit-generating athletic conference in the nation. No other conference has the reach of alumni bases and major media markets despite all the criticism leveled its way. Minnesota hasn't been pulling its weight athletically for the last 40 years, so it's quite promising to have what seems as a rising star of an AD coming into the program. We have heard all the limitations the "U" faces of being in a major media market with 4 pro sport teams for years, but there is a flip side which exists and that is if/when the "U" begins to have major success in football and/or basketball. The "U" is a sleeping giant where many of the athletes have stayed on after graduation to work and raise families in one of the most vibrant metro areas in the nation. Imagine if that quality of living becomes aligned with programs not looked upon as laughingstocks or afterthoughts?

I think Stollings actually will be the Woody hire most people look back upon and shake their head. Not impressed with her at all, either publicly or how she recruits (throw crap up against the wall and hope it sticks) & what she does with the talent at her disposal. We've seen the best Stollings has to offer, and that's 1 winless NCAA Tournament with WNBA talents the likes of Banham, Amanda ZB, Shae Kelley, and (likely) Carlie Wagner on her roster.

+33

Go Gophers!!

I generally agree Bleed, we have a lot to offer.

What I think we really don't appreciate as a significant challenge, however, is that we have competition here, which is something that is not normally faced by AD's at most top programs. I used to be on the other side of the fence on this issue--thinking that the Twins/Vikings/Wolves/Wild should not take away from the Gophers and their success. Now, having traveled to see some games at big time programs, I realize that the most common denominator between these programs is that they are the only show in town. Their "towns" love them, bleed their colors, live and die with each game, recruit, spring practice, etc. Interest is huge because there is essentially nothing else capturing the sports fan's attention in Tuscaloosa/Columbus/Ann Arbor/Lincoln (even Madison), etc. If you go to Columbus, the whole damn town is crimson and cream with businesses named after alumni, nuts, and Woody Hayes.

I love the Vikings and the Gophers but believe it or not, if the Vikings ever left town, the Gopher football program would benefit in terms of increased coverage, interest, attendance, and (perhaps most importantly) scrutiny. They are competitors and NFL is king right now. I can't count how many times the Gophers would have a big Saturday win followed by a sub-500 Vikings team barely beating an NFL bottom feeder (or even loses) on Sunday and the Monday morning media coverage and water-cooler talk is all about the Vikings.

The U might not be a dream job, but this is certainly a dream community to live in for a lot of people. That's important to remember in the midst of all the self hate around here wondering why any recruit or any coach would want to come or stay here.

I generally agree Bleed, we have a lot to offer.

What I think we really don't appreciate as a significant challenge, however, is that we have competition here, which is something that is not normally faced by AD's at most top programs. I used to be on the other side of the fence on this issue--thinking that the Twins/Vikings/Wolves/Wild should not take away from the Gophers and their success. Now, having traveled to see some games at big time programs, I realize that the most common denominator between these programs is that they are the only show in town. Their "towns" love them, bleed their colors, live and die with each game, recruit, spring practice, etc. Interest is huge because there is essentially nothing else capturing the sports fan's attention in Tuscaloosa/Columbus/Ann Arbor/Lincoln (even Madison), etc. If you go to Columbus, the whole damn town is crimson and cream with businesses named after alumni, nuts, and Woody Hayes.

I love the Vikings and the Gophers but believe it or not, if the Vikings ever left town, the Gopher football program would benefit in terms of increased coverage, interest, attendance, and (perhaps most importantly) scrutiny. They are competitors and NFL is king right now. I can't count how many times the Gophers would have a big Saturday win followed by a sub-500 Vikings team barely beating an NFL bottom feeder (or even loses) on Sunday and the Monday morning media coverage and water-cooler talk is all about the Vikings.

Good points.

Go Gophers!!

I've been reading and hearing that people are afraid that he will use the U as a stepping stone and this isn't his dream job. Wouldn't he have been better off staying at Syracuse then? For one, I imagine his next employer would be cautious of hiring him if he leaves right away. Also, in a lot of ways, isn't the Minnesota job a step down from Syracuse? I realize there is a lot of potential and everything here, but Syracuse is a premier job.

I've been reading and hearing that people are afraid that he will use the U as a stepping stone and this isn't his dream job. Wouldn't he have been better off staying at Syracuse then? For one, I imagine his next employer would be cautious of hiring him if he leaves right away. Also, in a lot of ways, isn't the Minnesota job a step down from Syracuse? I realize there is a lot of potential and everything here, but Syracuse is a premier job.

This is the first I've heard or read people worried. Gotta think he's here at least 10 years with family angle.

With a reported salary that could come close to 1mil/yr at the U, it's hard to claim that this job is a step down from Syracuse. Granted their MBB program brings a level of prestige to Syracuse that Minnesota hasn't enjoyed for quite some time, but on the whole it's a lateral move at worst imo.

With a reported salary that could come close to 1mil/yr at the U, it's hard to claim that this job is a step down from Syracuse. Granted their MBB program brings a level of prestige to Syracuse that Minnesota hasn't enjoyed for quite some time, but on the whole it's a lateral move at worst imo.

It's a step up because it's a much higher salary, a conference that is strong in both FB and BB and a budget that is 50% higher than Syracuse.

Yeah, I suppose you're right. I didn't realize the money was that much more. I just thought the blemish of leaving after 10 1/2 months was pretty significant. That was all. According to USA Today, Coyle had a base salary of $333,000 and a possible bonus of $120,000 in 2013. The old AD at Syracuse, Daryl Gross had a total compensation of $848,662 in 2013. So, I'm assuming Coyle's salary at Syracuse was somewhere between these two.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sport...director-salary-database-methodology/1968783/

We are so conditioned in MN like Pavlovian dogs to think that way.

Top Bottom