WDRB: Two names for National COY consideration: Pitino and Pitino

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per WDRB:

1. Pitino Vs. Pitino

Last week I discussed the college basketball player of the year race with the recommendation to hold all ballots for as long as possible.

Ditto for Coach of the Year voting.

We’ve reached the final week of the regular season, and the list of candidates stretches from here to Spokane, where Gonzaga’s Mark Few has been the frontrunner since January.

But the Zags lost a game they weren’t supposed to lose, and it’s time to consider fresh resumes. Here is my list, although The Muse is always open to audience participation.

Chris Collins of Northwestern – if the Wildcats finally inch into the NCAA Tournament. The ACC Williams non-brothers (Roy, North Carolina and Buzz, Virginia Tech) have done solid work.

Ditto for Jay Wright of Villanova, if you agree that chasing the back-to-back thing is difficult. I’d listen to arguments for Mike White of Florida, Steve Alford of UCLA and Tim Jankovich of Southern Methodist.

But two more names belong on the list – Rick (Louisville) and Richard (Minnesota) Pitino.

In a season when Louisville was expected to finish fourth or fifth in the Atlantic Coast Conference, the Cardinals have a solid shot at finishing second and earning a two-seed in the NCAA Tournament. Nobody would be shocked if U of L bounced all the way to Phoenix and the Final Four.

Richard started this season looking like a guy about to follow Tubby Smith and Dan Monson out of Minneapolis. After finishing 2-16 in the Big Ten last season, Minnesota was predicted for finish 11th or 12th.

The Gophers are 10-6, locked in a tie with Maryland and Michigan State for third.

Joe Lunardi projects the Gophers will be a seven seed in the NCAA Tournament.

Louisville is a two seed.

Hmmmm.

Two- and seven-seeds attract in the second round, but Lunardi does not have a Pitino vs. Pitino matchup – yet.

He’s got something equally enchanting – a Pitino vs. John Calipari matchup with the Gophers playing Kentucky in Round Two in Indianapolis.

Yes, please.

http://www.wdrb.com/story/34614865/bozich-monday-muse-pitino-vs-pitino-for-coach-of-the-year

Go Gophers!!

I'll take KY in round 2. Would love the heightened expectations of the game and a win would be the biggest non conference statement win in years. That said, the gophers look like a better than 7 seed.

He didn't even mention that our Pitino had a chance of breaking the record for the greatest turnaround in NCAA Men's bb history.

Top Bottom