WCCO News Mike Max-Not A Mention of Tomorrows Game

GoGophers2005

Reaction score
Just got done watching the WCCO 6pm news and sports didn't even mention the Gopher game tomorrow. I understand Lebron, Gaborik, Packers-Vikes are all playing this weekend but there is no excuse in bumping any mention of the Gopher game with showing highlights of a Minnetonka girl winning her second state tennis championship.
It's pathetic.

I'm probably overeacting, but I can't help it.

At least the Minnetonka chick can win games. Sadly, due to the recent loosing streak, we're loosing momentum, and with that will come the loss of media attention as well. We need these next three games to get it back.

Just typical. I'm actually not as upset as I might otherwise be because, to be quite honest, I've never had much, if any, respect for Mike Max. Having said that, it is very poor form, regardless of whether he thinks its important or not.

We are 4-4, not 2-6.
Our 3 of our 4 losses came to Top 25 teams (actually Top 15 when we played them) and Wisconsin was 21 on the first BCS rankings. All the teams we lost to were favored to win.
Don't get it. The U should get some respect just for the fact that these are kids playing for the State of Minnesota.

We are 4-4, not 2-6.
Our 3 of our 4 losses came to Top 25 teams (actually Top 15 when we played them) and Wisconsin was 21 on the first BCS rankings. All the teams we lost to were favored to win.
Don't get it. The U should get some respect just for the fact that these are kids playing for the State of Minnesota.

The problem isn't the three losses in conference, but the ugly nature of them. If we'd played 2 of the 3 close, the tone would be different.

WCCO

U of M Golden Gopher FB will still be here long after WCCO has been sold and pieced out to the highest bidder. I give WCCO 5 years til they are shuttered similar to Mr Burns investment in U.S. Hay.

I think we played 3 of the 4 losses close. We lost 21-0 to Penn State while being stopped on a 4th and 1 at the goal line and they gave them a touchdown in the corner of the endzone that clearly wasn't. I think we played them tough, they didn't walk up and down the field on us.
Cal and Wisconsin came down to the last 6 minutes of the game.

It's almost like people think the Gophers lost their 4 games to teams like NDSU, FLorida ATlantic, Northern Illinois and Quinnepiac. These 4 losses came to bowl teams and possibly a BCS bowl team.

Some what agree. But we have not had any offense for how many weeks?

I don't buy that 'you have to win to get noticed' stuff. The Vikings could lose all their games by forty points and look bad doing it, and they'd stil get thirty eight million pages of coverage in the Strib.

I can mention to his brother that Mike doesn't ever talk about the Gohps

At least the Minnetonka chick can win games. Sadly, due to the recent loosing streak, we're loosing momentum, and with that will come the loss of media attention as well. We need these next three games to get it back.

The word is losing. Comes from "lose". I see this dumb mispelling every day here. Would you post about a "wiining streak"?

U of M Golden Gopher FB will still be here long after WCCO has been sold and pieced out to the highest bidder. I give WCCO 5 years til they are shuttered similar to Mr Burns investment in U.S. Hay.

I was going to say that I talk sports every day and I have never mentioned Mike Max. I like yours better.

We are 4-4, not 2-6.

Agreed. But, I think Wisconsin was a 2pt dog to the Gophers when they played... The guy I sat next to had money on the game.

What exactly were they supposed to report? When the stop reporting it on Game Day you have something to complain about. They don't normally talk much about the Vikings on a Friday sportscast, but it's sort of an unusual week for them. Yes, I'm sure in Iowa City, there's a story about the upcoming game every night, but that will never happen here.

nm

Just got done watching the WCCO 6pm news and sports didn't even mention the Gopher game tomorrow. I understand Lebron, Gaborik, Packers-Vikes are all playing this weekend but there is no excuse in bumping any mention of the Gopher game with showing highlights of a Minnetonka girl winning her second state tennis championship.
It's pathetic.

I'm probably overeacting, but I can't help it.

I don't think it's pathetic. There is a time-slot allocated for sports, and there simply was just too much else going on. I think everyone knows the Gophers are playing. Let's allow the media to do its job without complaining.

The word is losing. Comes from "lose". I see this dumb mispelling every day here. Would you post about a "wiining streak"?

I was going to say that I talk sports every day and I have never mentioned Mike Max. I like yours better.

Why? How does this response contribute to the conversation.

I don't buy that 'you have to win to get noticed' stuff. The Vikings could lose all their games by forty points and look bad doing it, and they'd stil get thirty eight million pages of coverage in the Strib.

That's because they are the Minnesota Vikings! Professional sports teams will always trump the college. Minneapolis/St. Paul is the 14th largest media market in the country, and the Vikings will always be the biggest ticket in town. Believe me, I wish the Strib had more on the Gophers too, but I understand they have their priorities. Let the media do their job. The people that work at these media outlets are PEOPLE, not machines. Let's try and be a little more sensitive, shall we?

Top Bottom