WCCO: Minnesota’s Quarterbacks Shine In Spring Scrimmage

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per WCCO:

Minnesota coach Jerry Kill liked the way starting quarterback Mitch Leidner and his two backups performed during the Gophers’ spring game on Saturday.

Some of the young receivers need to find a way to hold onto the ball.

“They need to help the quarterbacks out, make plays,” Kill said. “I’d rather have them drop balls now than later on.”

Leidner got the fewest reps, completing 5 of 11 for 53 yards. Chris Streveler and Conor Rhoda combined to complete 13 of 39 passes, with Rhoda throwing the only scoring pass of the day.

http://minnesota.cbslocal.com/2015/04/11/minnesotas-quarterbacks-shine-in-spring-scrimmage/

Go Gophers!!

18 of 50 passes were complete? How many "dropped passes" were there that the title of the article is QBs "shine"

Some of the drops were provided from a very aggressive Defense that jarred half a dozen balls out of hands

one WR dropped one that hit his hands
Jones lost one out of bounds
There were maybe only a few that were terrible throws

Todays plays were very vanilla and the defense were jacked to stop the few plays that were allowed to be ran.

I feel a lot better at most positions after seeing the game today

worth noting - in the spring game, they blow the play dead when a defender gets a hand on the QB. In a real game, Leidner or Steveler each are strong enough to evade an initial hit/touch and keep plays alive. Having said that, yes, it would be nice to see a higher completion percentage - but keep in mind the team is incorporating new personnel and new offensive schemes. They should be a lot more polished by September. (if they're not, then it's time to fret......)

While the QB's far from shined. I think it's pretty encouraging that we made some plays on offense this time. Can't remember the last spring game where our offense actually showed something on a semi consistent basis throughout the game.

This was the best spring game overall of the JK era. Which isn't worth much, but it was refreshing.

Yea, the passing looked better, but still not as good as I would have hoped. The encouraging point was that they threw a lot of passes.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Yea, the passing looked better, but still not as good as I would have hoped. The encouraging point was that they threw a lot of passes.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I also liked the passes they were throwing. A lot of quick outs and quick hits. Last year it was Maxx over the middle/down the seam or a fade down the sideline. Who knows, we may see a screen pass or bubble screen this year?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

per WCCO:

Minnesota coach Jerry Kill liked the way starting quarterback Mitch Leidner and his two backups performed during the Gophers’ spring game on Saturday.

Some of the young receivers need to find a way to hold onto the ball.

“They need to help the quarterbacks out, make plays,” Kill said. “I’d rather have them drop balls now than later on.”

Leidner got the fewest reps, completing 5 of 11 for 53 yards. Chris Streveler and Conor Rhoda combined to complete 13 of 39 passes, with Rhoda throwing the only scoring pass of the day.

http://minnesota.cbslocal.com/2015/04/11/minnesotas-quarterbacks-shine-in-spring-scrimmage/

Go Gophers!!

That is factually incorrect. Leidner was 5 of 11 and Streveler was 11 of 20. Rhoda was 12 for 19.

Addition wasn't the strong suit apparently of the writer.

23 of 39 is a little better than 13 of 39.

I also liked the passes they were throwing. A lot of quick outs and quick hits. Last year it was Maxx over the middle/down the seam or a fade down the sideline. Who knows, we may see a screen pass or bubble screen this year?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've seen the bubble screen attempted a few times this spring. Plenty of work to be done before they are any good at it imo. Looks very, very slow developing. I'm expecting much bigger things from the screen.

Top Bottom