WBB: Wagner Part of New Dynamic Duo: Marcus Fuller Pioneer Press

Ignatius L Hoops

Reaction score
http://www.twincities.com/sports/ci_29427655/carlie-wagner-part-gopher-basketballs-new-dynamic-duo

Carlie Wagner didn't feel like she had to be one of the Gophers' primary scorers last season, so she was fine just spotting up at the three-point line.

But the New Richland, Minn., native entered her sophomore season knowing the offensive load would be borne primarily by her and senior Rachel Banham. For Wagner, that meant becoming more than just a shooter for the Gophers (13-6, 5-3), who play Illinois (8-11, 1-7) on Tuesday at Williams Arena.

"I had a different role last year;I didn't have to be a scorer or be that aggressive. I had the green light to shoot," Wagner said. "But this year I feel like I've rounded my game better; been able to get to the basket more driving.

"Coach (Marlene Stollings) is encouraging me to do that, because I'm a bigger guard. I have a pretty good first step, so driving has become a really big part of my game this year."

We've her for two more years. I think she will actually be better than Banham by her senior year

With Banham, Bailey and Mullaney gone after this year, she will the attention of all the defenders.

It will be sad with all those three gone.

Top Bottom