WBB: Opinions on this Season's Major Rule Changes

Ignatius L Hoops

Reaction score
Now that we’ve passed the half way point of the B1G season, any thoughts on the rule changes? In general I agree with moving to be more compatible with international rules-certainly for the women’s game.

Although, like Lisa Bluder, I didn’t see a need for the change from two halfs; I’ve come to appreciate the switch to quarters. As a bonus, the switch eliminated two media timeouts (one in each half) and two team timeouts (each team gets four instead of five). As a result, I think the game times are consistently shorter than before (I can’t actually find any info on that).

I also loved the elimination of the one and one. You get two shots after the fifth foul of the quarter. (Some analyst’s want the one and one reinstated-bleeeeh!).

I wasn’t sure I’d like the five fouls per quarter but it works for me. What is noticeable, is how often teams seem to have fouls to give at games end. It certainly impacts strategy in the fourth quarter.

I’m not a fan of advancing the ball in the last minute of play with a time out. Oddly, I think I’ve seen it used more by the leading team than the trailing team.

Now, please let the game rest awhile. And please keep the shot clock at 30 seconds.

http://www.ncaa.org/about/resources...n-s-basketball-rules-changes-reaping-benefits

Coaching opinions vary:

“I think it’s been a great change,” said University of Connecticut coach Geno Auriemma. “I think it’s been great for the players, the coaches, the fans and for television. I don’t know anybody who hasn’t benefited from the four-quarter format. I think the committee did a great job and I think we should continue looking for more ways on how we can make even further improvements. But it’s been a huge success as far as I’m concerned.”

“I am not a fan of the four quarters. I never understood why we changed to begin with,” said Baylor University coach Kim Mulkey. “I don’t find that it makes the game any more exciting or that it scores any more points through the course of a game. In fact, I find that it disrupts the game as the timeouts are too long. As far as calling a timeout in the fourth quarter where you can advance the basketball, I don’t even know if I’ve used that. I don’t know if I’m a fan of it or not, but I can see, in a tight game where it can be a situation that could be helpful, it really makes for some good coaching at that moment.”

I like the new rules. The games have been shorter. I have yet to see an overrun into the next televised game. That was not the case last year.

Anything Kim Mulkey dislikes is OK with me.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Top Bottom