WBB: Gophers @ Michigan-B1G Game 10-(1/31)

Ignatius L Hoops

Reaction score
Hoping to Continue a Blue Swoon:

Michigan (3-6) (on a three game losing streak) welcomes the Gophers (6-3) (on a four game winning streak) to Ann Arbor. Michigan’s latest loss was at Iowa 85-69. The Hawkeye post players Coley and Gustafson out played Michigan’s foul prone posts Hallie and Thome. (The Hawkeye post tandem combined for 31 points and 22 rebounds while the Wolverine tandem went for 21 and 13.) Katelynn Flaherty led all scorers with 31 points. Although Flaherty (24 points in the first half) was slowed a bit by Tania Davis in the second half.

Gopher fans will recall Flaherty pouring in 33 points at Williams Arena during Michigan’s 93-86 early B1G season victory over the Maroon and Gold. In that game, Michigan raced to a 35-20 first quarter lead and never trailed. Minnesota battled back to within five (78-73) with about four minutes remaining; but the rally stalled.

B1G Wins: Iowa (82-75), @ Minnesota (93-86), @ Penn State (91-87)

B1G Losses: Purdue (65-63), @ Indiana (77-69 OT), Maryland (74-67), Ohio State (97-93), Nebraska (93-81), @ Iowa (85-69).

Probable Starters (B1G Scoring Avg.)

F Kelsey Mitchell (8.9)
C Hallie Thome (14.6)
G Madison Ristovski (9.0)
G Siera Thompson (8.4)
G Katelynn Flaherty (23.2) during conference play she is 28-69 from three (.406)

Others:
NB Ric Flair

at
Michigan
Day: Sunday
Date: Jan. 31, 2016
Time: 11:30 a.m. CT
Coverage

TV: BTN
Radio: KBEM 88.5

Michigan has been struggling. They lost to Iowa last night, but they did manage to already beat the Gophers at the Barn. It would be oh so sweet to take this game and finish January 7-3

Get fu-king Bailey out of there. Two stupid fouls and she shouldn't be shooting the 3. Worst percentage on the team

Bad 2nd quarter by the ladies. From up 6 after 1Q to down 5 at half time.

Wagner sat entire quarter with 2 fouls. Bailey picked up her third foul

Gophers can't stop Michigan's inside game.

Banham trying to do too much by herself. Michigan with much better ball movement.

Hedstrom had 3 3's in 1st quarter.

Mn needs to go to a zone.

Michigan is really hedging hard on ball screens and forcing the ball handler way out. Gophs need to find a way counter that. They got a three on a pick and pop with Hedstrom setting the pick. Might need to have her and other guards do that because our bigs are not effective rolling to the basket from that far out.

Wagner having a bad game. Post defense is horrible. Both Barnes and Edwards like robots. All the do is put their hands up. Transfer from Iowa State will help a lot.

Hedstrom and Mullaney start 3rd Q.

No, not one of Bailey's better games.

Need to tighten up the D. They know Flaherty is a shooter and they let her wide open. Our bigs do not box out and shoot well enough to stop Thome. We need to get hot.

More a case of our post presence being exposed.

Wagner and Bailey both having a bad game.

Wagner and Banham making some really bad/dumb passes.

Thank God of Hedstrom today.

Game over....huge loss for the Gophers with the top 3 teams to play at the end of the schedule. They now need.to win every home game.

I just watched this game for about 10 minutes. I was distracted, but still...

WTF are these uniforms? I spent those 10 minutes thinking the Gophers were in gold because, you know, that is our color. I was wondering why they were fouling us intentionally before I caught on.

Again, I was distracted, but my God...

I was in Xcel Center cheering Minnesota to our fourth consecutive Northstar Cup loss so I haven’t had a chance to watch the replay of the Michigan game. The comments appear to express some dis-satisfaction with the events in Ann Arbor.

Of Note: the Gophers usually wear the anthracite uniforms on the road: although, they wore them at home for, I believe, the Northwestern game. Yes, I like them.

Starters:

Banham
Edwards
Starr
Bailey
Wagner

Minutes Played:

38 Banham: 29 points, 9 rebounds, 8 assists, 5 turnovers
35 Hedstrom: 18 points (5-8 from three)
30 Wagner: 12 points
27 Bailey: Fouled out
26 Mullaney: 13 points
19 Edwards
17 Barnes
7 Starr
1 Lamke

What happened to the highly recruited Garven? Will Buckingham ever play, or will she transfer out?

Garvin has been a no show except for early season non-conference games. Stollings earlier this year in the B1G presser said Josie wasn't ready to play yet. Great kid and is in medical school. Don't think she will transfer. Kaniti Johnson has yet to play because of a on going injury.

Top Bottom