howieramone

Reaction score
PG- Dorsey
SG- Coffey
SF- Fitzgerald
PF- Murphy
C - Lynch

You don't see Mason starting?

I could see Pitino running out 3 guards in Mason, Dorsey, and Coffey along with the 2 bigs.

You don't see Mason starting?

I could see Pitino running out 3 guards in Mason, Dorsey, and Coffey along with the 2 bigs.

That wouldn't really fit with what Pitino supposedly wants to do. If Mason and Dorsey are both good enough this year that we can't put them on the bench, I could see a 3 guard lineup, but I think if he has the option Pitino will opt for a lengthier lineup. It really depends on how good Fitzgerald, Murphy, Curry, Buggs and the rest of the 3/4 types are, but swapping a 6'8 guy like Fitzgerald for a 6'1 Mason or 5'11 Dorsey will make a big difference for our press and half court D.

I'd say:

Mason/Dorsey
Coffey
Fitzgerald
Murphy
Konate

with the odd man out between Dorsey and Mason as the 6th man. Of course something will change between now and fall 2016. McBrayer could be in the mix too if he's as good as advertised.

I think you have to go with the best five, doesn't mean they're the five who finish or start every game, but I would go.
Dorsey
Mason
Coffey
Murphy
Konate
I would have either Dorsey or Mason on the floor at all times
Off the bench I think McBryer, Fitz, Lynch and Curry get plenty of run. Buggs and Gaston are wild cards, they'll both be counted on a lot this year, which could give the team a lot of depth in 2017. Throw Hurt into the mix and practice will be very competitive. Definitely be fun to see this year's group develop as I expect I'll be wrong in good ways and bad about some players.

2019/2020 lineup projection:

Tre Jones
Amir Coffey
Goanar Mar/Michael Hurt
Matthew Hurt/Eric Curry
Theo John

Let's just say, I would be out side of my goddamn mind ecstatic to have a conversation about how guy #6 and #7 deserve to start because they are better than the current starter. Rather than the discussions we have about why #6 and #7 should start because the starters are not legitimate big 10 guys and what do we have to lose.

All that said. I'll bet $100 we won't have a problem with too many starting caliber guards, just doesn't happen these days.

Final four, we comin'

Of course this assumes Coffey is still here his Senior year- do we think he is a four year guy at this point? Part of me hopes he is.. part of me hopes he isn't.. I think it would be good for our program for recruits to see a kid like Coffey come in and get drafted after 2 or 3 years, and a credit to Pitino.

Top Bottom