Washington Post Column: In recovering Minnesota, a new men’s basketball coach offers a vision of change

We didn’t choose him - he chose us. Ugh. But all that crap aside I hope he does so well in yr 1 that we are all worried about losing him.

I think year 1 is going to be his learning period, I said as much when he was first hired.

The big thing with BJ is that he has local ties, that's what Coyle is banking on.

how his 22 class ends up will be telling.

the bar is not very high for success here, I wish it was, but its not. If he keeps around Pitino or Tubby numbers, we made a bad hire because then its just the same old same old for Minnesota basketball

My gosh, I'm not sure how anyone can read the article and come to negative conclusions.
Ben speaks with honesty, recognizes his opportunity and desperately wants to succeed to make the people of the state of Minnesota once again proud to be able to announce they are from here.
He has passion from the heart to attack the task.
Qualified, prepared, deserving is not the point. I may criticize some of his choices and decisions, just like I did Richard and still do with PJ but I'm certainly rooting for Ben and PJ to to succeed.
I see nothing in this article to throw stones at here.

I love the honesty, clearly that one part is being interpreted differently by people on here. That's the beauty of free will. I don't see the article at all as negative.

That’s the problem with today’s world. Disagree with the pretense, you are called a racist. Stupid

The people that are quick to jump the gun on the word "racist" are typically those who believe in white privilege and uprooting supremacy.

They do that because they want to be "on the cool right side" of any social argument.

Its like Michael Che said, teach me.

Random but If anyone here has netflix, the Michael Che matters special is hilarious but also so true.

had we never had a black head coach, I would be more partial to agree with your opinion.

Just know that all you have are opinions, much like most of us here. They are worthless to the powers that be, more that it's just fun to argue about what ever you might think is real (which is not actual reality).

As far as racist, you are right. I find human beings to be the worst mammal on the planet. I don't like any color, I like people that do the right thing by each other. Pretty simple really.
Yet, you are a hater of Ben Johnson so you actually condemn yourself in your post.

Love how Jerry says we're living in shame, guess I didn't get the memo. May be hyper critical, but Ben crediting the "timing" as a reason for his hire doesn't sit well with me although I can certainly appreciate his honesty. I would rather hear, "I deserve this, I am the best person for this job, and I have no doubt I will succeed." I suppose when you achieve a dream, it takes awhile to realize your achievement.

I like honest realists alot more than dishonest blowhards. I wouldn't expect you to understand.

I like honest realists alot more than dishonest blowhards. I wouldn't expect you to understand.
Literally said I appreciate his honesty. The second sentence was unnecessary, I must have upset you in the past.

Actually, before George Floyd he would likely be excluded because of the color of his skin, not the content of his resume.
SDGF, closet racist, Ben Johnson hater.
Yeah, cuz we know the U doesn't hire black men's BB coaches...who took us to the Final 4? Look, I know the narrative and the NFL and their hiring issues, but the U of M has clearly shown to be willing to hire black basketball coaches. This is just looking for another racism issue. When the demand for racism exceeds the supply, you get thoughts like this....

Nope, when you imply that a coach is not good and only got hired because he's black...that makes you a racist.
I think you're really stretching the meaning of the word "racist". If I don't rent an apartment to someone because he's black, that's racist. If I don't interview a candidate because of their ethnicity, that's racist. But to question a hiring decision, that's not racist, that's just open thought. You know, free thinking? What happened to that?

Great, you agree you are being racist in your hatred of Ben Johnson. At least you're honest.

Yup. I dont like white people, black people, brown people, yellow people, red people, purple people. Humans in general suck.

Too many pretend to be good, but in reality they'll just ignore situations that affect their fellow humans as "someone else will help them out"

I'm a big fan of dogs.

Yup. I dont like white people, black people, brown people, yellow people, red people, purple people. Humans in general suck.

Too many pretend to be good, but in reality they'll just ignore situations that affect their fellow humans as "someone else will help them out"

I'm a big fan of dogs.
So you are prejudiced toward dogs.

Top Bottom