Was this the best weekend in recent University of Minnesota sports history?

Reaction score
First our basketball team won a tough game at Northwestern, then we had a whirlwind head coaching search that led to the "energetic"P.J Fleck being hired who brings our program into the national spotlight and paves the way for a bright future. He has instantly energized our fanbase and our recruiting in only 2 days. Next our basketball team just beat Ohio State at home and improved to 15-2 atop the B1G standings and will most likely be ranked in the top 20 on Monday. Ill admit I am a fairly new Gopher fan having recently transferred here but I can sense the optimism and excitement for the future that this past weekend has brought. I cannot wait to see where our football and basketball program go in the coming years. Oh and the Hockey team is ranked #9.

Ski-U-Mah!!!

And the Gopher Ladies beat WI in hoops.

Define recent. I've been pretty happy with a few national titles here and there.

I was thinking the past decade or so, 2003 was the last championship for the big 3 mens sports.

GopherHole was certainly active....

I was thinking the past decade or so, 2003 was the last championship for the big 3 mens sports.

Ok, in the spirit of the original question, can you think of any weekends like this where multiple good things happened?

First our basketball team won a tough game at Northwestern, then we had a whirlwind head coaching search that led to the "energetic"P.J Fleck being hired who brings our program into the national spotlight and paves the way for a bright future. He has instantly energized our fanbase and our recruiting in only 2 days. Next our basketball team just beat Ohio State at home and improved to 15-2 atop the B1G standings and will most likely be ranked in the top 20 on Monday. Ill admit I am a fairly new Gopher fan having recently transferred here but I can sense the optimism and excitement for the future that this past weekend has brought. I cannot wait to see where our football and basketball program go in the coming years. Oh and the Hockey team is ranked #9.

Ski-U-Mah!!!
You're a young pup, aren't you.

Ski-U-Mah!!!

Um ... that proves you are a fairly new Gopher fan, but, yes, the BB team and a very bright light at the end of the tunnel that was the football mess makes for a good feeling.

Well, I have been around a while and this ranks right up there with the best weekends, SG15! I agree that a few national title weekends (men's hockey in partiuclar) were pretty darn good weekends too. And the BB final four run that never happened... that wasn't bad either. But in terms of overall success... yeah, this is pretty good.

The comeback of our golf team sometime in the early 2000's when they were decent but not great and had a super last day at the NCAA's to win the title was fun. Everytime our Lady Gopher Hockey team wins the title is fun. I suppose capping on their undefeated season was the best of those. Volleyball had some great moments as has baseball with winning Big Ten titles and Softball winning titles and being a top 10 team. I wish wrestling wouldn't be an afterthought as it was also bringing home titles not that long ago...

I would say the weekend offered hope for the future. That does NOT mean that the future will turn out to be rosy.

In Gopher land, we tend to grasp at signs of hope, only to see that hope turn into disappointment. Fleck may turn out to be the savior of Gopher FB - or he may not be able to live up to the hype. The Gopher Men's BB team may go on to a great season - or they may see that promise fizzle out. There are no guarantees in life - or in sports.

This may turn out to be the best of times - or the worst of times. I might wind up facing the guillotine.

I just think that after the recent doom and gloom over the FB team scandal and the firing of Claeys, people were looking for good news. This weekend, we got some good news, and we're on a bit of a sugar high. But sugar highs inevitably wear off. (now, if you're on a meth high, or doing a lot of speed, you can keep that going longer, but the crash when you come down really sucks......)

I agree this week has been exciting but winning the bowl game to go 9 and 4 with all the DB's suspended was pretty exhilarating against the number 3 passing attack in the nation! Then beating number 12 or 15? Purdue at Purdue in basketball after losing in overtime to Michigan State was a wakeup that we were going to compete in basketball this season.
Add in the roller coaster of the boycott, the firing, the bumbling administration, the hiring in three days and it has been one of the most memorable times as a Gopher fan. Optimism has maybe never been higher?

The basketball team is better, and that's great. I was at the Barn last night and it's nice to have it filling up again. New football coach? I've seen that eight times as a Gopher fan, and about half of them have brought us to 7 or even 8 win seasons regularly. We'll know in about three years whether a new football coach helped make the weekend great.

I'm excited to see what will happen but as for football I'd like their "best weekend" to involve wins... not off season champ--- relevancy.

Ski-U-Mah!!!

Welcome aboard!

Let me give you one piece of advice. . . run. This ends terribly. I know it feels good right now, it's just going to hurt more when it all comes crashing down.

Ski-U-Mah!!!

Without a single car or couch being burned in Dinkytown, it couldn't possibly have been the best sports weekend ever...
I want goalposts being carried down University Avenue to Frat Row.

Welcome aboard!

Let me give you one piece of advice. . . run. This ends terribly. I know it feels good right now, it's just going to hurt more when it all comes crashing down.

Lol...the young need to learn from the disappointment so the can be strong when the zombies arrive.

Top Bottom