Was at the game again last night....here are some thoughts

sidefx182

Reaction score
http://www.stobblog.com/2011/11/fan-in-press-row-thoughts-on-gophers-vs.html

Hey guys. 3-0!! Are we excited about it or no?

I gotta say I'm still kind of on the fence. They did do some great things again (Free Throw Shooting) but some not so great things (Turnovers).

Was anyone else at the game? Wouldn't be shocked if you weren't due to the stupid 6pm start time. No wonder they had to do a Groupon for this game.

Thanks as always guys. You are the best. Also, I gotta say, we have one of the best team message boards out there. Thanks again.

It was a Tebow-esque performance by the guys last night, ugly but effective. I don't get the defensive hate. I think the defense has been pretty exceptional for the most part. No easy looks from 3, and reasonably good inside D. The buckets we've been giving up have been the result of miscommunication and freshman mistakes that are fixable. I like our D. I like our scrappiness. Our offense is definitely a work in progress, but we've got some guys that push the tempo, and a few guys that at least have the ability to hit an outside jumper or two. I see a lot of signs of hope, and don't forget, we've played three teams that have the potential to be okay teams, despite the names.

The Gophers have allowed 58, 55 and 57 points in their three games. I have several concerns this early in the season. Defensive acumen is not anywhere near the top of the list.

Yeah, the D has been solid. Like I said before, I do think they give up a lot of 3's, but that is expected when you have one of the best blocking teams in the country.

I know it's only been a few games, but after watching other teams in the B1G...no one really scares me. OSU I guess would be the exception. But Purude, MSU, Mich, Indiana and NW don't really worry me.

Am I wrong in thinking we might finish top 3? Not so much because we are good, but because the other teams aren't that great.

we were beat off the dribble too many times.. their short point guard got to the rim at will.. their forward beat Rodney to the baseline several times... and their post players were able to either get to the rim or get the shots they wanted.. if they had more post size, they would have scored at will.. as it was, some of those shots were blocked.. how is it their post players were so smooth and Trevor/RS3 make it look so difficult.. Trevor has improved his FT shooting but not much else. how about a jump-hook?

Yeah, the D has been solid. Like I said before, I do think they give up a lot of 3's, but that is expected when you have one of the best blocking teams in the country.

I know it's only been a few games, but after watching other teams in the B1G...no one really scares me. OSU I guess would be the exception. But Purude, MSU, Mich, Indiana and NW don't really worry me.

Am I wrong in thinking we might finish top 3? Not so much because we are good, but because the other teams aren't that great.

MSU is very good. There is something about that program. Players come in and play like they will win every game. That's what Gophers need, one winning season. Michigan has not scored more than 65 points yet. Purdue has no inside game. If our shooters keep making their shots, Gophers will be in top 3.

Go Gophers

I agree. Winning brings in recruits. MSU does just that. I just don't see them going anywhere this year. They weren't a great team last year and I think this one is worse. But, it's Izzo...so who knows.

If the Gophers finish top 3 I think that would be an amazing year....compared to years past. To me, I really don't care where they finish. As long as they make the dance and go a few rounds I will be excited.

Is anyone else worried that this year could be our last chance for awhile at making a run. Losing Trevor and Ralph will hurt....big time...and it doesn't seem like anyone is ready to take their place yet.

Losing Trevor for next year will really hurt. The Gophers are playing just as well if not better when Ralph is on the floor so he won't be missed nearly as much.

Sloppy, ugly, boring, pathetic and successful.

I don't know that I'd call last night's game boring. I thoroughly enjoyed watching it. Both teams pressed hard basically all game, there were a few highlight-style plays, and we rarely ever settled into a drudgingly slow half-court offensive rut. We were definitely sloppy, but I wouldn't call it boring.

Yeah, boring is a little bit of a stretch. But I just found myself not excited with the game play. It was low scoring and not a lot of "running". I know I should be use to it by now since it's the B1G, but I'm not.

I found myself most into the game when Andre (Hollins) was in. I like the way he pushes the pass. I know he makes some mistakes but I still like his style of play. He is exciting to watch.

But hey, different people like different styles of play. Just like people that would love to see two pitchers have no hitters going into the 9th....not me.

I agree. Winning brings in recruits. MSU does just that. I just don't see them going anywhere this year. They weren't a great team last year and I think this one is worse. But, it's Izzo...so who knows.

If the Gophers finish top 3 I think that would be an amazing year....compared to years past. To me, I really don't care where they finish. As long as they make the dance and go a few rounds I will be excited.

Is anyone else worried that this year could be our last chance for awhile at making a run. Losing Trevor and Ralph will hurt....big time...and it doesn't seem like anyone is ready to take their place yet.

Very good points. I am not too worried about the next year. I heard Oto's interview after the game last night. He feels like he could play at PF after Trevor leaves (at least, that what my take was). If he does, we may have a player like MSU's Green for the next 3 years. Oto and some other players are getting better after every game. Also, remember that we are getting that athletic freak from WI next year. He will be a great addition to the team.

Go Gophers

Even though 'we' had 23 turnovers I am starting to develop a little optimism after last night.

The offense actually does seem to be 'running' more. This probably helped to cause many of the turnovers. I hope Tubby doesn't get down on them too much for the turnovers and start slowing down the offense. Keep up the running and yes learn how to run without turning the ball over.

There were many positives last night.

Austin Hollins - the best I have seen from him.
Maverick - the best I have seen from him.
Andre Hollins - the best I have seen from him.
Oto Oseniecks - the best I have seen from him.
Elliot Eliason - the best I have seen from him.
Trevor - The best Free Throw Shooting I can remember.
Team Free Throw Shooting - the best I can remember.
3 pt Defense - the best I can remember.
Ball movement (despite the turnovers) - the best I can remember.

Also, I think Tubby should calm down the stare just a little - at least for poor Saul. It looked like Tubby did not like the timeout Saul called from the lower bench when somebody was trying to get the ball across the timeline. Those were some serious darts directed toward Saul after that. Maybe Saul didn't want to see another turnover and jumped to call the timeout to try and help a trapped player in the back court, and anyway, I don't think we used up all our timeouts. Chill out Tubby and keep them runnin'. :)

hi

-Mo Walker

we were beat off the dribble too many times.. their short point guard got to the rim at will.. their forward beat Rodney to the baseline several times... and their post players were able to either get to the rim or get the shots they wanted.. if they had more post size, they would have scored at will.. as it was, some of those shots were blocked.. how is it their post players were so smooth and Trevor/RS3 make it look so difficult.. Trevor has improved his FT shooting but not much else. how about a jump-hook?

I think your right about. I saw Trevor make a nifty (but simple) post move against South Dakota where a couple quick pivots left him alone under the rim and sent two guys the wrong direction. He needs to perfect a few simple moves to take advantage of his superior size and athleticism. He could have used that move along with two variations to create spearation to rack up 10 more points easily.

Ralph is Ralph. I like the guy but he is in dire need of a punch in the nose; just get his motor running;). I don't think I would normally adovocate playing with more emotion in Basketball when someone is as calm as him, but... he needs to make strong moves.

I think this team is middle of the big ten given the stauts quo. They have the ability to upset anyone because they can keep games close. The emergence of a backcourt star governs the upside. So far the closest I've seen is Chip, even given some of the other more physically gifted kids. Chip gets the game and has an attitude to match. I can't wait to see him take the next step; he may just explode.

CDH27 said:
Losing Trevor for next year will really hurt. The Gophers are playing just as well if not better when Ralph is on the floor so he won't be missed nearly as much.

I think you'll see a shift next year. The gophers "stud(s)" will now be at the guard position in Andre and Austin. Possibly even joe. Mo will step in seamlessly for Ralph. And Trevor will be impossible to replace, but hopefully oto, Ingram, and Buggs can handle the spot somewhat.

I am looking for Andre and Austin to really lead this team next year.

Ralph is Ralph. I like the guy but he is in dire need of a punch in the nose; just get his motor running.

The phrase I use when I get frustrated with Ralph, and that is quite often, is, "Pull the cork out." A talented, yet frustrating young man. We gotta' hang with him. He's vital to the Gophers' success.

their forward beat Rodney to the baseline several times...

That is why I cringe when people call him a 'lock-down defender'. He is playing good all around defense, but one-on-one is not his strength.

Gophers are averaging 67 possessions per game this year. Last year was 66.2 Year before that was 66.4. The Gophers are running the same amount they did the last two years according to the numbers.

If you factor out the number of possessions, Gophers are 225th in the nation in turnovers. I don't think you can draw any conclusions from national ranks after 3 games, but pace doesn't really seem to be the explanation.

Even though 'we' had 23 turnovers I am starting to develop a little optimism after last night.

The offense actually does seem to be 'running' more. This probably helped to cause many of the turnovers. I hope Tubby doesn't get down on them too much for the turnovers and start slowing down the offense. Keep up the running and yes learn how to run without turning the ball over.

Gophers are averaging 67 possessions per game this year. Last year was 66.2 Year before that was 66.4. The Gophers are running the same amount they did the last two years according to the numbers.

If you factor out the number of possessions, Gophers are 225th in the nation in turnovers. I don't think you can draw any conclusions from national ranks after 3 games, but pace doesn't really seem to be the explanation.

Those are interesting facts justthe. Where does one get numbers on number of possessions? Was last nights number of possessions above or below our average or right on? I thought we seemed to run more last night than previous games this year - might be just the perception rather than just the facts though. ;)

Tubby said he wants to run more this year. This is about the 58th straight year I have heard that from a Minnesota coach - but it actually looked like it might be true this year.

Very good points. I am not too worried about the next year. I heard Oto's interview after the game last night. He feels like he could play at PF after Trevor leaves (at least, that what my take was). If he does, we may have a player like MSU's Green for the next 3 years. Oto and some other players are getting better after every game. Also, remember that we are getting that athletic freak from WI next year. He will be a great addition to the team.

Go Gophers

Are you comparing Oto to Draymond Green??? That is the most outrageous thing I have ever heard if this is the case.

Are you comparing Oto to Draymond Green??? That is the most outrageous thing I have ever heard if this is the case.

Racist.

(No, but seriously, Oto's gotta be more of a small forward, in my opinion.)

I get them from KenPom, but I think they're also available on statsheet.com. What's interesting is that Minnesota's 3 games in terms of possessions were 66, 68, 68. Remarkable consistency.

The other interesting note is how turnovers actually affect pace. Turnovers by definition speed up the game. The fact that the team hadn't yet shot on the possession on which the turnover occurred demonstrates that the turnover ended the possession more quickly than a shot would have.

Racist.

(No, but seriously, Oto's gotta be more of a small forward, in my opinion.)

Haha no nothing to do with race. More to do with the fact that their games in way no resemble one another.

Haha no nothing to do with race. More to do with the fact that their games in way no resemble one another.

And if you want to talk to big Bryce in person, just go see him at Roseville Target... Dude is big.

I know, I was just ribbing you. Oto's game really won't be similar to Green's, because Oto is quicker, and far less, ahem, "substantial" than Mr. Green. I see Oto as more of a small forward floating out, hitting 3's and midrange jumpers, but with the ability to pump fake, and crash the boards hard. He works hard on the glass, and that's great to see.

Tubby's formula is pretty simple. He's going to out defend you, wear you down with fresh bodies and bank that he's recruited enough offensive talent to win. Sometimes guys just have to make plays. Option 1 or 2 isn't always there and D1 players should just make plays when stuff breaks down. Andre got to the line a lot, so did Trevor. I think it's obvious these 2 have the green light to shoot anytime they want and to attack the basket. You can live with 10-15 turnovers, albeit not 23, if you're defending, attacking the basket and playing fast and agressive.

D1 players at the free throw line should be an automatic 2 points. It's also obvious when Oto comes in the game, it's to get open 3 point looks. Ralph has the solid mid range game that's pretty reliable if he's open. It'd be nice if you could get Mo Walker back in the mix but I wouldn't bank on that in the non conference. Austin and Rodney can explode at any time and while they can be wildly inconsistent they can also be wildly dynamic. They just have to keep on looking for their opportunities. So in my opinion you've got more than enough ways to score points. You've got all the bases covered. So if you defend and take care of the basketball you're going to win way more often than you lose. It's a sweet 16 team if things go the way I think they'll go.

on paper this a top 25 team
Mbakwe- Top 100 player and top JC prospect
Sampson- Top 75 player
Andre Hollins- Top 100
Joe Coleman- Top 100
Rodney Williams-Top 100
Mo Walker-Top 130 or so
Austin Hollins- Not Top 150 but had 4 major D1 offers, the son of a former NBA player and current NBA coach
Oto- Not top 150 but when Billy Donovan offers a scholarship it makes interested

So I'd say the talent level is higher than the previous regime, now he just has to coach them up.

on paper this a top 25 team
Mbakwe- Top 100 player and top JC prospect
Sampson- Top 75 player
Andre Hollins- Top 100
Joe Coleman- Top 100
Rodney Williams-Top 100
Mo Walker-Top 130 or so
Austin Hollins- Not Top 150 but had 4 major D1 offers, the son of a former NBA player and current NBA coach
Oto- Not top 150 but when Billy Donovan offers a scholarship it makes interested

So I'd say the talent level is higher than the previous regime, now he just has to coach them up.

Wouldn't that make us approximately a top-100 team?

You've got all the bases covered. So if you defend and take care of the basketball you're going to win way more often than you lose. It's a sweet 16 team if things go the way I think they'll go.

I like to think of myself as being generally optimistic and positive, but you make me feel like Art the Second.

Top Bottom