mggoph

Section 112, Row 1
Reaction score
http://www.twincities.com/sports/ci_12469254

Murray Warmath will serve as honorary coach at Gophers football opener
By Marcus R. Fuller
[email protected]
Updated: 05/28/2009 12:08:20 PM CDT

The University of Minnesota football team will honor six Gophers legends in the opening game at TCF Bank Stadium against Air Force on Sept. 12, coach Tim Brewster announced today.

Former national championship coach Murray Warmath will serve as the honorary coach in the opener. Named as honorary captains were former players Bobby Bell, Billy Bye, Bud Grant, Bob McNamara and Sandy Stephens, although Stephens will be represented by his brother, Ray.

"This group really represents the greatest glory of Gopher football," Brewster said in a statement. "I couldn't be more thrilled to have these men represent our football program on such an historic day - the opening of TCF Bank Stadium."

SIAP

Why on Earth would Bud Grant be involved?

Maybe because he's one of the greatest all-around Gophers athletes ever, not to mention a two-time All-Big Ten pick in football? That could have something to do with it.

Maybe because he's one of the greatest all-around Gophers athletes ever, not to mention a two-time All-Big Ten pick in football? That could have something to do with it.

And has done what for the University in the past 25 years? Bobby Bell and Judge Dickson are still involved in the program to this day. Tony Dungy flew to Minneapolis to lobby for the stadium.

I thought Dungy might be involved with this as well, but I guess not.

One can debate the contributions that Grant has made in the past quarter
century to the U, pro or con. He can do as much or as little as he wishes,
its his choice.

Still, there is no debate about the type of athlete he was at the U, especially
in football.

And you can also debate whether or not he is ready to make up for past actions he may feel were mis-guided. Having Bud Grant "come out of the closet" to start actively supporting the U can be a boon for the Maroon and Gold Marketing Dept....

All good choices . . .

and many more deserving former players could have been listed; however, that's the "nature of the beast" when selecting honorary captains, coaches, etc. Nevertheless, I appreciate the coach and former players selected. I had the good fortune of watching a lot of games coached by Warmath, the athletic exploits of Sandy Stephens and Bobby Bell, and I had the pleasure of meeting and talking Gopher football as a youngster with Billy Bye when he coached the Detroit Lakes Lakers in 1956 (I was a nine year-old at the time) and when he was employed at the town's Rec Center prior to his one-year coaching stint in the west central resort town.

Billy Bye had a successful career with the Gophers, 1946-49, and he transmitted his knowledge of the game to many, many high school players as a very successful head coach. I'm confident several of his former players went on to play at the U. In addition, he's served as an advisor to the Gopher football program and has an endowed scholarship in his name for the football program.

All of the honorees are part of the rich tradition of Gopher football. It's great to see them recognized for their contributions to Gopher lore.

Go Gophers!!

Top Bottom