Ward committs??????

STPGopher...thanks.

Handsome Pete and btowngopher.....ouch. That hurt.

btowngopher...not a post about you.

I never said who or pointed out anyone. I was just making an observation as a whole. Handsome Pete.....There are alot of people who care about "mid-major" schools....not you of course, but many. I never hacked on UM. I just said that MAYBE, TSU was the best fit for this kid. Just because a small, HBCU, D1AA school does not play against the big boys and get beat up 9 yrs out of 10 like ....some, mean they are not important and relevant.

Take it easy on me......I was not disrespectful. Hey...I love Tony Dungy, Barber and Maroney. Saw UM in the Music City Bowl several yrs ago and pulled hard for them.

Congrats! Want a cookie??

Brock

Has anyone heard if there's anything new on Brock's status for next fall?

Peaygolf89, sadly you will be running into more and more football snobbery if the U of M program makes a rosebowl. I remember back in Madison when 2 WI Rosebowls created the Badger belief that they had always been great in football. This also happened to the Packer fans

Congrats! Want a cookie??

Wow.....Ya'll are worse than UT Vol fans. There are many things I'd like to say, but will not. I'm new here and will bite my tounge.

The one thing I will say is this......I have alot of respect for other universities, but its not like UM is a juggernaut when it come to college athletics. TSU would win any discussion when it come to overall athletic history/athletes in all sports combined.

:clap:

TSU would win any discussion when it come to overall athletic history/athletes in all sports combined.

Oh my god. You have to just be looking to incite a reaction.

You cannot be serious with that statement.

Wow.....Ya'll are worse than UT Vol fans. There are many things I'd like to say, but will not. I'm new here and will bite my tounge.

The one thing I will say is this......I have alot of respect for other universities, but its not like UM is a juggernaut when it come to college athletics. TSU would win any discussion when it come to overall athletic history/athletes in all sports combined.

:clap:

People are venting about losing Ward to a I-AA, whatever the reason may be. We heard that he was pretty much a lock to come here if he qualified and was admitted. Since he qualified, people assume he was not admitted, and therefore any school Ward went to would have gotten the ire of the Gopher fans here.

Furthermore, you have been preceded by lakesbison, an NDSU (also I-AA in football) troll who tried to claim NDSU superiority over the U, which has about zero merit. Due to him alone, I will only refer to the football subdivisions as "I-A" and "I-AA".

The U has a long and proud tradition in athletics. Some of it is in non-revenue sports, regional sports, past decades, or erased by scandal. You should probably tread lightly on claiming your tradition greater than ours. ;)

Like I said....i have great respect for ALL traditions at ALL universities. What I ment was that TSU has an athletic history that is better than most. Not only in football, but basketball and track. Over 40 medal winners in the olympics.

I don't pretend to think TSU, or any other 1AA or HBCU school, could touch UM on the field of play today. I just want some kind of respect given to the "smaller" schools.

My main point from the start was...maybe this Ward kid understands that he can play at TSU from day one. Get a quality education and play himself, due to coaching and competition, into the next level. This kid may see that he has isuues...and if he is at a "BIG" time school, he may not make it. Give the kid some credit. One person said he would rather walk on at a BIG 10 school, than play at TSU. REALLY????? I would want to play and the the man! I never spoke negitive about UM.

The main reason I joined this board was to make a point......" Don't knock a "small" school unless you know what it is about." That was it. Best of luck to UM this comming season. BEAT OSU!!!!!

Why are we still discussing Ward going to TSU? Do you guys believe he chose TSU over Minnesota? He didn't. He chose TSU because he no longer had an offer from Minnesota.

Like I said....i have great respect for ALL traditions at ALL universities. What I ment was that TSU has an athletic history that is better than most. Not only in football, but basketball and track. Over 40 medal winners in the olympics.

I don't pretend to think TSU, or any other 1AA or HBCU school, could touch UM on the field of play today. I just want some kind of respect given to the "smaller" schools.

My main point from the start was...maybe this Ward kid understands that he can play at TSU from day one. Get a quality education and play himself, due to coaching and competition, into the next level. This kid may see that he has isuues...and if he is at a "BIG" time school, he may not make it. Give the kid some credit. One person said he would rather walk on at a BIG 10 school, than play at TSU. REALLY????? I would want to play and the the man! I never spoke negitive about UM.

The main reason I joined this board was to make a point......" Don't knock a "small" school unless you know what it is about." That was it. Best of luck to UM this comming season. BEAT OSU!!!!!

No knock on TSU but Minnesota football has six national championships and 18 Big Ten Titles. /thread.

Peay

You have been respectful, and deserve a more respectful response than some have given you. I meant my post more as an explanation for why some are reacting to your posts in an over-the-top manner. FWIW, I would choose a scholarship over walking-on, if the scholarship came from the right school. Academic prestige/rigor would play a large factor on what my final decision would be.

Thanks hyaluronic.....

I hope I did not offend anyone here. Not my intention.

For those that care...TSU has won 11 Black college National Football Championships....back when Black College Football was better than anything else (before the major Universities allowed many..if any..black players). They have also had over 200 All-Americans in football. I know its apples/oranges...but history is history.

I will keep ya'll posted on how T. Ward does at TSU. The staff is excited about him.

Peaygolf89, sadly you will be running into more and more football snobbery if the U of M program makes a rosebowl. I remember back in Madison when 2 WI Rosebowls created the Badger belief that they had always been great in football. This also happened to the Packer fans

Minnesota has already made a rose bowl. They've won several national championships too- more than Tennessee and Wisconsin combined. Thanks for making #500 so special. Hope this helps.

Minnesota has already made a rose bowl. They've won several national championships too- more than Tennessee and Wisconsin combined. Thanks for making #500 so special. Hope this helps.

Thanks....I know my sports and never would say that TSU and UM are on the same level (I'm not stupid).

Based on history....don't compare 1A/1AA, HBCU/TWCU, Smaller schools/Bigger schools....just the history, tradition, wins, NFL players, Olympians, ect.......TSU matches up well with alot of schools. I hope Ward does well at TSU. It was odd that he signed at TSU and not a MAJOR program. That is a red flag. I understand that, but MAYBE he sees the bigger picture. He needs to be at a smaller school...not as much hype, pressure, or expectations. Schools like TSU, Southern, Grambling, and FAMU have given kids second chances to be successful athletes and students. I have heard Ward got some really positive advice from people close to him. He needed to be at a smaller school. Good for him.

I never wanted to come on this site and stir stuff up. I wanted to see what a major program was talking about, when a kid signs with a "different" school. Lets not be judgemental about smaller schools and the kids. I think most 3rd string players at MAJOR schools should have gone to smaller schools from day 1. They will be happier, play more, get a better education because they are playing and happy. Their skills will be seen if they are good enough. That is all.

Good luck to UM ....and please....beat up on OSU and Michigan. What a bunch of losers they are!
Good luck to Tubby Smith! UK made a HUGE mistake!

Interesting.

1st quote was based on ALL sports (track and field included).
2nd quote was "today". I know that a Big 10 team like UM is better in most/all sports. I know that.

As a whole...take away divisions/conf's....TSU can hold up their end in most discussions.
:( my mistake. That was not how I ment to say it.

peaygolf89.....

Don't fell like you have to carry TSU by yourself.... TSU is a place that provides oportunies to individuals who may or maynot have had it without it's existance. Much like the University of Minnesota. As long as TSU carries out it's missions, all is good. Having known people from the likes of TSU, Wilberforce, Howard, U of Ark Pinebluff, Grambling, Alcorn, Jackson State..... the world is a MUCH better place because they exist.

Don't let the tough crowd burst your bubble.

If you care to give us updates, I'm sure some of us will be happy to read them. The rest can choose to ignore the posts.

Anyway, thanks for the info regarding Ward. Once again, I hope he takes full advantage of all that TSU has to offer. Since grad school seems to be a necessity these days, he may end up here later in life anyway.

Cheers!

I know that a Big 10 team like UM is better in most/all sports. I know that.

As a whole...take away divisions/conf's....TSU can hold up their end in most discussions.

I'm really having a tough time following you. In one breath, you say that comparisons between TSU and a Big Ten team are ridiculous, and then in the next, you say that TSU can hold up to most scrutiny. So which is it?

If you're arguing for anything other than the former, you're insane. While the number and caliber of NFL and world-class track athletes produced there is incredible, it is irrelevant to the discussion, as we are talking about the performance of the colleges' athletic programs.
How many titles has TSU won at the highest level of competition?

It can also be argued that TSU and other HBCU have an inherent advantage among certain segments of the population (both in the fact that they appeal to the black population, and have lower academic standards), so that a comparison can often be apples to oranges.

I'm really having a tough time following you. In one breath, you say that comparisons between TSU and a Big Ten team are ridiculous, and then in the next, you say that TSU can hold up to most scrutiny. So which is it?

If you're arguing for anything other than the former, you're insane. While the number and caliber of NFL and world-class track athletes produced there is incredible, it is irrelevant to the discussion, as we are talking about the performance of the colleges' athletic programs.
How many titles has TSU won at the highest level of competition?

It can also be argued that TSU and other HBCU have an inherent advantage among certain segments of the population (both in the fact that they appeal to the black population, and have lower academic standards), so that a comparison can often be apples to oranges.

OK....I hope this will get my point across better than my other posts.

If we can take away the division/conf/BCS/1A/1AA/D2/D3/NAIA/ ect....... I know its hard to do...but lets try...

Mount Union, Carson Newman, Valdosta State, Grambling, TSU, App. State, ect....... They have TRADITIONS that are equal to 95% of BCS schools. They are not equal based on competition/prestige...but based on who they play and their divisions.....they can compare themselves to anyone. Some kids....may wish to play at a smaller level..and DOMINATE instead of playing at a bigger level and be an also-ran. More power to that kid. That has been my point. If I did not get the point across....I'm sorry. I hope this works.

HBCU schools used to have a HUGE advantage (1950-1979) BUT NOT TODAY. I am not african-american. If I was, I would want to go to an HBCU school. That is my opinion. I hope Trabis Ward does great things at TSU. I live in Nashville and will watch him closely. Maybe his decision was based on grades, HBCU, background, past problems, ect.....who knows. Based on what I have heard, it was because of his impression of TSU. I hope that is why! Either way...he should dominate the OVC!

OK....I hope this will get my point across better than my other posts.

If we can take away the division/conf/BCS/1A/1AA/D2/D3/NAIA/ ect....... I know its hard to do...but lets try...

Mount Union, Carson Newman, Valdosta State, Grambling, TSU, App. State, ect....... They have TRADITIONS that are equal to 95% of BCS schools. They are not equal based on competition/prestige...but based on who they play and their divisions.....they can compare themselves to anyone. Some kids....may wish to play at a smaller level..and DOMINATE instead of playing at a bigger level and be an also-ran. More power to that kid. That has been my point. If I did not get the point across....I'm sorry. I hope this works.

HBCU schools used to have a HUGE advantage (1950-1979) BUT NOT TODAY. I am not african-american. If I was, I would want to go to an HBCU school. That is my opinion. I hope Trabis Ward does great things at TSU. I live in Nashville and will watch him closely. Maybe his decision was based on grades, HBCU, background, past problems, ect.....who knows. Based on what I have heard, it was because of his impression of TSU. I hope that is why! Either way...he should dominate the OVC!

Did everybody miss that he no longer had an offer from Minnesota? Look at his Rivals page, there is no check in the box for Minnesota. That implies to me that the offer was pulled.

I missed the part where anyone bashed TSU in the first place.

Top Bottom