Want to learn?

touchdownvikings

Reaction score
Remember when I told you that the plan was to use the short passing game to force a defensive alignment with two safeties and then run? Before the season started. Recall?

I said it here:

Well...

Last week, Taylor only ran FOUR non-situational carries. By "non-situational," I mean carries not determined by situation, e.g., not carrying because it is 1st & goal, 2nd & goal, 3rd & 1, 3rd & 2, etc... those plays are not generally determined by defensive alignment. You're running because you think you can get 1 or 2 yards irrespective of defensive alignment.

On those 4 carries, Taylor went for; 17, 5, 5, and 11 yards, respectively.

Here was the alignment:

1726104071336.png

I remember your take distinctly. And two things stood out to me:

1)why don’t more people start posts with “You won’t believe what I think…”

2)in all my years of watching football I found it odd that nobody had come up with the idea of throwing the ball to setup the run?

2)in all my years of watching football I found it odd that nobody had come up with the idea of throwing the ball to setup the run?
Thanks for remembering.

Harbaugh wants to force the defense to align with two safeties and then gash them with Taylor. And when they exit cover-2 because they are tired of being gashed by Taylor, he will return to using the short passing game. Book it.

Thanks for remembering.

Harbaugh wants to force the defense to align with two safeties and then gash them with Taylor. And when they exit cover-2 because they are tired of being gashed by Taylor, he will return to using the short passing game. Book it.

You and Harbaugh are light years ahead of everyone.

Remember when I told you that the plan was to use the short passing game to force a defensive alignment with two safeties and then run? Before the season started. Recall?

I said it here:

Well...

Last week, Taylor only ran FOUR non-situational carries. By "non-situational," I mean carries not determined by situation, e.g., not carrying because it is 1st & goal, 2nd & goal, 3rd & 1, 3rd & 2, etc... those plays are not generally determined by defensive alignment. You're running because you think you can get 1 or 2 yards irrespective of defensive alignment.

On those 4 carries, Taylor went for; 17, 5, 5, and 11 yards, respectively.

Here was the alignment:

View attachment 33473
Are you related to Matt?

For those who may think this was an obvious outcome...

May I ask: where was your post presenting this as the strategy for the season?

When I posted my original post, people posted:

"You used to sell product to Matthew Perry?"

OR

"Did a little birdie tell you?"

OR

"I think there is a chance of that happening.

as long as someone grabs Fleck, ties him up and gags him, and locks him in a storage closet during the game."

And so on....

So how obvious was this? And if it was, where was your post?

OR

OR

as long as someone grabs Fleck, ties him up and gags him, and locks him in a storage closet during the game."

And so on....

Get some thicker skin

OR

OR

And so on....

For sure, you posted your prediction on August 17th. Nearly a full two weeks AFTER the Gopher coaches basically said they were going to use a short passing game, as noted in this August 4th article from Greder.

https://www.twincities.com/2024/08/...x-brosmer-look-during-open-practice-saturday/

I mean, who could have predicted such a thing after hearing the coaches actually say that was their plan?

For sure, you posted your prediction on August 17th. Nearly a full two weeks AFTER the Gopher coaches basically said they were going to use a short passing game, as noted in this August 4th article from Greder.

https://www.twincities.com/2024/08/...x-brosmer-look-during-open-practice-saturday/

I mean, who could have predicted such a thing after hearing the coaches actually say that was their plan?

Yeah—but he read that, remembered what he read and posted it on here. Did you do that?!?!

OR

OR

And so on....

I’ll be honest. I didn’t post anything because I didn’t think it was remotely possible to draw safeties back by throwing the ball. It just didn’t seem feasible.

OR

OR

And so on....

I am on record saying the qb is a dink dunk guy.

Last edited:

Yeah—but he read that, remembered what he read and posted it on here. Did you do that?!?!
LOL.

For the record, I don't subscribe to that publication -- and did not, in fact, read that.

As I said in a post further down that thread, I heard PJ say on one interview something to the effect of: "You know, you can use the short passing game as a running game." And then about a week or two later, on a different interview, I heard PJ say that he was aiming for a 90%+ completion rate on short passes.

So, adding those two things together -- combined with the fact that they went out and got Brosmer who is proven to throw effectively on short routes -- I assumed that was the plan or this year. Especially when you consider that whether the defense uses Cover-2 or Cover-4 to counter it, that results in two deep safeties -- which is actually what Harbaugh wants.

This is a different means of attempting to achieve what was done in 2019. In 2019, when teams got tired of giving up chunk plays to either Bateman or Johnson, they played with two safeties back to permit bracket double coverage on each of them, mainly. If Tanner saw two deep safeties, he handed off. If not, he passed a slant (mainly) to which ever one was not capped by a safety. That was 70%+ of the offensive flow.

This year, if Max sees two deep safeties, he will hand off. If not, he will throw a short pass, until the defense gets tired of giving up yards in the short passing game. Then they'll go to Cover-2 or Cover-4, and Max will hand off.

So in the big sense, it is just like 2019. Except the motivation for the defense to align with two safeties will be to permit the corners to stay up to counter the short passing game (Cover-2), or to permit the linebackers to stay up (Cover-4). The motivation isn't double coverage, as we don't have the personnel for that.

While those are two very good points, you'd think a coach make $6mm+ in the B1G would have enough faith in his team to run that simple concept against a team that had a good dline and not much else on D that was stacking the box and not wait until a game against an FCS team where we absolutely could have not thrown a pass and won the game to try and loosen the defense.

Let's see if he changed his best this week and can do it against a team we will need to throw a little to make the game easier.

I'm not sold we have a dominant defense just yet as we haven't really played a capable offense just yet, but we should be able to handle Nevada this year.

note: I will leave the definition of good to each of you in kind. NC gave us some challenges but our O-Line not being ready and our refusal to call plays that forced them to adjust didn't hurt. The jury remains out on how good NC really is overall. Their O wasn't looking all that great before Johnson was hurt, and then it got worse. They were better than Charlotte, but still didn't look good on O most of the time.

Man. This is like two a days. The team is so amp'd, the platoons turn on each other.

We need to focus. Nevada tomorrow then "Hate Week"#1

While those are two very good points, you'd think a coach make $6mm+ in the B1G would have enough faith in his team to run that simple concept against a team that had a good dline and not much else on D that was stacking the box and not wait until a game against an FCS team where we absolutely could have not thrown a pass and won the game to try and loosen the defense.

Let's see if he changed his best this week and can do it against a team we will need to throw a little to make the game easier.

I'm not sold we have a dominant defense just yet as we haven't really played a capable offense just yet, but we should be able to handle Nevada this year.

note: I will leave the definition of good to each of you in kind. NC gave us some challenges but our O-Line not being ready and our refusal to call plays that forced them to adjust didn't hurt. The jury remains out on how good NC really is overall. Their O wasn't looking all that great before Johnson was hurt, and then it got worse. They were better than Charlotte, but still didn't look good on O most of the time.
The blocking on the right side was so bad against NC, I'm not sure it would have mattered!

Top Bottom