Wally Ellenson Opens Season Friday- Tubby Is Expected to Watch

Chris Monter

Reaction score
Gopher signee Wally Ellenson of Rice Lake will tip off the season Friday at Amery. Head coach Tubby Smith is expected to attend the game. Rice Lake is ranked #2 in Division 2, behind Onalaska, who is led by Gopher recruiting target junior Matt Thomas.

Chris Monter

Not sure how good the 2012 recruiting class will be, but it should be nice to get a guy who can hit the 3 in Ellenson.

Gopher signee Wally Ellenson of Rice Lake will tip off the season Friday at Amery. Head coach Tubby Smith is expected to attend the game. Rice Lake is ranked #2 in Division 2, behind Onalaska, who is led by Gopher recruiting target junior Matt Thomas.

Chris Monter

I am going to go see the Rice Lake - Amery game. Amery is only about 35 minutes from Stillwater.

I need an honest answer here: is Ellenson accurate from deep?

My impression is that Ellenson is a streaky shooter but a heckuva athelete. I am sure that Dre and Welch are better shooters now. That said, I would not be surprised to see Ellenson develop a deadly shot from deep, he has a nice stroke.

From what I have seen watching Wally play, I would agree with the streaky shooting to a degree. As stated above, he has a very nice looking shot so I wouldn't be surprised at all if his accuracy improves. I have been extremely impressed with Wally's athleticism and how hard he plays.

We already have Wally signed- I think Tubby should go to the Onalaska game and lock up Matt Thomas. Unless Tubby is thinking long-term and wants to see Henry Ellenson. I see they list him at 6'7"- nice size for a freshman.

Rice Lake hosts a tourney Dec 27 and 28th also.

We already have Wally signed- I think Tubby should go to the Onalaska game and lock up Matt Thomas. Unless Tubby is thinking long-term and wants to see Henry Ellenson. I see they list him at 6'7"- nice size for a freshman.

Rice Lake hosts a tourney Dec 27 and 28th also.

As far as all three of the brothers are concerned, at this stage of his high school career, Henry is by far the most advanced. He is really one to keep an eye on. It can't hurt to have Wally already on the squad.

Not going to be able to make this game...at this point. Rice Lake will not have much of a game. Amery is a mediocre D3 team at best and picked near the bottom of their conference. Where as Rice Lake is D2 and picked to win their conference and as mentioned before, ranked second in the state in D2.

As far as Wally's shooting goes...streaky, in the past has been his MO. However, he has worked extremely hard on that part of his game and has vastly improved it. He is, as others mentioned a freak athlete and will be almost impossible to defend by just one person. We got a good one with room to grow in Wally and those going to see him play for the first time will see he definitely has a D1 game.

For those locals who want him to see better competition, Rice Lake plays their first conference game at River Falls next Tuesday.

Not going to be able to make this game...at this point. Rice Lake will not have much of a game. Amery is a mediocre D3 team at best and picked near the bottom of their conference. Where as Rice Lake is D2 and picked to win their conference and as mentioned before, ranked second in the state in D2.

As far as Wally's shooting goes...streaky, in the past has been his MO. However, he has worked extremely hard on that part of his game and has vastly improved it. He is, as others mentioned a freak athlete and will be almost impossible to defend by just one person. We got a good one with room to grow in Wally and those going to see him play for the first time will see he definitely has a D1 game.

For those locals who want him to see better competition, Rice Lake plays their first conference game at River Falls next Tuesday.

Sam Jacobson???

I think he plays a lot like Chip Armelin. He will cut and slash, get to the hoop and finish. Like those above, I think he can add range to his shot as time goes by.

Sam Jacobson???

You know, from a HS perspective I think he is very similar, however, I think Sam was a better shooter.

I should clarify my comment regarding him being defended by only one guy...I mean that now, in HS, the competition he plays.

XMan - definitely give us your take after watching him tonight. Say hey to Tubby for me. :)

Will do. Excited to see Wally again this year to see how much he has developed from last year. Hoping Tubby shows up.

My take on Wally is that he is a good athlete but he is definitely not the shooter that Sam was. I was assistant coaching bb back in the 90's and saw Sam play many times. He was unstoppable sometimes. One game he took us apart. They spread the floor and we were running a box and one with help and Sam had his way with us. Wally isn't even close to that level.

I agree with Xman. Wally is a great athlete, jumps out of the gym, but didn't shoot well. He wasn't as good as Sam Jacobson tonite, but he has good shooting form and maybe had an off night. It was his first game of the year. Man, can he jump. We'll see how he does against better competition, too.

His freshman brother is 6'7" and an absolute stud. His mother says he's being courted by every Big Ten school and others, including Kentucky. We couldn't land Cory Joseph, but it would be nice to land each of these kids. Rice Lake is a very good high school team. Very impressive. Totally outclassed Amery, but that was to be expected.

All in all, a fun night. Although, I didn't get to talk to Tubby.

Wally is by far the most athletic of the three Ellenson boys. He just keeps elevating and is up at the rim every play. He is way more athletic than any of our current guards as far as his vertical. Maybe not quite Rodney but similar. If he can develop a shot, put on more muscle and hopefully grow another two inches then look out.

Henry though will be the catch of the three. Sign him up!

Top Bottom