Wake Forest

Maroon Shower

Reaction score
Can somebody tell me why everyone seems to think they're a lock? I know they have a marquee win at Gonzaga and home court wins over Xavier, Richmond and Maryland (all in OT), but there isn't a tourney team out there that has crashed and burned like Wake has down the stretch. They have home court losses to William & Mary and UNC, and have also lost to NC St. and Miami twice, including getting blown out in the ACC tournament.

It sounds like recent form has been de-emphasized, but they've had such an epic collapse it would seem difficult to ignore. There overall resume, with a 19-10 record, is not overwhelming. Not saying they should necessarily be out, but they should definitely be on the bubble.

they are on the bubble. according to bracketography, they are one of the last 4 in. lunardi has them as an 11 seed

This is a pretty valid point, plus didnt they lose 5 of their last 6? Correct me if i am wrong. I thought they were out after they lost the first round game in the ACC but everyone says they are a lock. I would say we have a better resume than them but idk their RPI or SOS.

they are on the bubble. according to bracketography, they are one of the last 4 in. lunardi has them as an 11 seed

That must be a recent development, as everyone for the past week has listed them as a lock. I personally don't think their resume is any better than the Gophers.

That must be a recent development, as everyone for the past week has listed them as a lock. I personally don't think their resume is any better than the Gophers.

30 spots higher that MN in RPI and a tougher schedule is probably why. If our resumes were switched, most here would say we are a lock and they would be on the bubble at best...

Bottom line is Minny plays itself in with a win today...

This is where the RPI and SOS just don't make any sense to me. How is Wake's schedule any tougher than the Gophers'?

How about if we look at the AP poll instead of RPI. I know rankings have serious flaws as well, but they also incorporate the "eye test", which RPI cannot.

The Gophers have wins over #5, #11, #12 and #13 in the country.
The Gophers have losses to #5, #6 (twice), #11 (twice) and #23.
Total record of 4-6 vs. top 25.
Total record of 4-5 vs. top 13.

Wake has wins over #18, #19 and #24.
Wake has losses to #5 and #6.
Total record of 3-2 vs. top 25.
Total record of 0-2 vs. top 13.
They only played Duke and Maryland one time each.

Things like SOS really depend on what criteria you use.

This is where the RPI and SOS just don't make any sense to me. How is Wake's schedule any tougher than the Gopher's?

How about if we look at the AP poll instead of RPI. I know rankings have serious flaws as well, but they also incorporate the "eye test", which RPI cannot.

The Gophers have wins over #5, #11, #12 and #13 in the country.
The Gophers have losses to #5, #6 (twice), #11 (twice) and #23.
Total record of 4-6 vs. top 25.
Total record of 4-4 vs. top 13.

Wake has wins over #18, #19 and #24.
Wake has losses to #5 and #6.
Total record of 3-2 vs. top 25.
Total record of 0-2 vs. top 13.
They only played Duke and Maryland one time each.

Things like SOS really depend on what criteria you use.

I dont disagree with you, just stating why I think they are looked at as more of a "lock" than the gophers. They probably did not play as many 150+ RPI teams and might not have as many bad losses, which really hurt. (I have not looked at their schedule).

I agree looking at AP numbers the Gophs look just as good.

Top Bottom