Voter Suppression efforts in full swing

howeda7

Reaction score
It’s not voter ID where you and I disagree I guess. It’s the “reasonable” part.

When I’m giving verbal permission for my wife to speak for me on a financial or service transaction phone call, my wife asks me to give them my name and tell them it’s okay for her to speak for me. They consider that ‘identification’, but I consider it covering their ass, not ID.

You’d probably be okay with voter ID being ‘I am who I say I am’.
I am OK with someone who has an ID with an old address showing their cell phone bill or water bill to prove where they live. I'm OK with a student ID from a college being an acceptable form of ID, just like a gun permit is. Etc. Etc.

KillerGopherFan

Reaction score
I am OK with someone who has an ID with an old address showing their cell phone bill or water bill to prove where they live. I'm OK with a student ID from a college being an acceptable form of ID, just like a gun permit is. Etc. Etc.
Most of America’s voting public is “OK” with driver’s licenses or free state IDs that are available to all eligible voters. That’s a problem for you.

Spoofin

Reaction score
Yeah, we know. You just don’t think POC are smart enough to figure out where IDs can be obtained, will vote without free water, or are willing to vote before noon. It’s all “obvious racist bs”.

Plausible Deniability

Coffee is for closers
Reaction score
WTF?? This is neither voter suppression nor "proof that voter suppression works".

Still love the work the Dems are doing with the branding "Voter Suppression". Marketing and propaganda work. Come up with a clever brand and you can run with it for years... just like "Russia collusion!" That one lasted for almost the entire Trump admin without a leg to stand on. Fantastic, really, when you think about it

Section2

Reaction score
Their church doesn't "get them" to the polls, it is simply a tradition that many people participate in. There is no equivalent among White evangelicals. If there was, they wouldn't be doing this.

What was the issue with the previous rules that this is fixing?
Howie is deeply familiar with the tradition that “many” participate in. He knows the black southern Christians well. Believe me.

Spoofin

Reaction score
Currently, this seems to be a one-man mission to save democracy in the USA. Give this man some damn help already.
There may be a reason that no one seems to want to help him 🤔🤔🤔

justthefacts

Reaction score
Republicans are gearing up to cheat if they need to and they all know it

MplsGopher

Reaction score
I'm not really worried about voting itself. Sure, the rules are BS, but I feel like if people really are sufficiently motivated to vote, mostly they'll figure out how.

The actual worrisome thing, is that state legislatures will throw out the results of fair-conducted elections.

That's the point in which the federal governments needs to outright reject that state's vote altogether, for election fraud.

Let em try to do something about that. We'll see who has more tanks.

bga1

Reaction score
Currently, this seems to be a one-man mission to save democracy in the USA. Give this man some damn help already.
I'll help him. He can start in Georgia, Arizona, Michigan, Pennsylvania and Wisconsin by aiding the efforts to assure election accuracy and transparency. In Georgia for example we just now are learning this....

Fulton County Election Official Admits Chain of Custody Documents Missing for 2020 Absentee Ballots Deposited in Drop Boxes​

June 14, 2021 Laura Baigert

In a stunning admission about the critical chain of custody documents for absentee ballots deposited into drop boxes in the November 3, 2020 election, a Fulton County election official told The Georgia Star News on Wednesday that “a few forms are missing” and that “some procedural paperwork may have been misplaced.”
A Star News analysis of drop box ballot transfer forms for absentee ballots deposited in drop boxes provided by Fulton County in response to an Open Records Request showed that 385 transfer forms out of an estimated 1,565 transfer forms Fulton County said should have been provided are missing – a number that is significantly greater than “a few” by any objective standard.
On Sunday, The Star News published a story which included the files containing digital images of the 1,180 transfer forms that Fulton County did provide. Those digital images can be viewed here.
This is the first time that any election official at either the state or county level from a key battleground state has made an admission of significant error in election procedures for the November 3, 2020 election.

stocker08

Reaction score

Good. Get some Republican input and see if they can't come to an agreement on this. It's a major longshot that it will happen.....as the right has shown no willingness to do anything other than throw up roadblocks. Plus.....they don't want anything to get in the way of voter suppression at a state level.

So when things fall apart....we'll see if the filibuster survives.

KillerGopherFan

Reaction score
What will be the QOP excuse for not backing this? It even has voter ID!
Yeah, it’s not going to happen. A holiday DOES NOT guarantee everyone a day off. Lots of people work on holidays. So there’s that.

The current voting process is quite simple. We just had an election that set participation records with 156 million voters, far far more than any election in the past, though election security was unconstitutionally sacrificed by some state officials, allegedly b/c of Covid.

And yes, it’s not too much to ask someone to show up with a state approved ID to vote and not a ”utility bill” on Election Day. 80% of the American public agrees. Take the utility bill to the state office that provides and approves IDs. There are a multitude of things that require ID and they don’t allow me to use a utility bill for, like taking a flight, purchasing some items, and cashing a check.

There is little in this legislation that is designed to improve election integrity, but there is definitely some things that allows the federal government to interfere with the state’s right to determine its election processes and reduce election integrity.

howeda7

Reaction score
Yeah, it’s not going to happen. A holiday DOES NOT guarantee everyone a day off. Lots of people work on holidays. So there’s that.

The current voting process is quite simple. We just had an election that set participation records with 156 million voters, far far more than any election in the past, though election security was unconstitutionally sacrificed by some state officials, allegedly b/c of Covid.

And yes, it’s not too much to ask someone to show up with a state approved ID to vote and not a ”utility bill” on Election Day. 80% of the American public agrees. Take the utility bill to the state office that provides and approves IDs. There are a multitude of things that require ID and they don’t allow me to use a utility bill for, like taking a flight, purchasing some items, and cashing a check.

There is little in this legislation that is designed to improve election integrity, but there is definitely some things that allows the federal government to interfere with the state’s right to determine its election processes and reduce election integrity.
Typical spin and deflection. Because your beloved party can't win the battle of ideas.

GopherJake

Reaction score
There are a multitude of things that require ID and they don’t allow me to use a utility bill for, like taking a flight, purchasing some items, and cashing a check.
Those things do not require the address to be current. The utility bill rider allows for change of address combined with photo ID. Also, photo id is not strictly required to board a US flight. Sorry, KFC. Why don't you choose fights worth fighting?

howeda7

Reaction score
Those things do not require the address to be current. The utility bill rider allows for change of address combined with photo ID. Also, photo id is not strictly required to board a US flight. Sorry, KFC. Why don't you choose fights worth fighting?
This. That is the entire argument. The "you need an ID to buy beer!" argument doesn't fly. Voting is the only one that cares about the address. So have an easy way to prove that part.

KillerGopherFan

Reaction score
This. That is the entire argument. The "you need an ID to buy beer!" argument doesn't fly. Voting is the only one that cares about the address. So have an easy way to prove that part.
It’s also to prove WHO YOU ARE, not just your address.

howeda7

Reaction score
It’s also to prove WHO YOU ARE, not just your address.
That's what the ID is for. The ID proves who you are. If the address isn't current, a recent utility bill proves where you live. There's zero issue with this and many states like MN do it that way.

I have been in this situation myself after college. I'm sure many people have. My ID was not expired but I'd moved and would be moving again within a year. Was I going to spend 5 hours getting a updated ID when there was no reason to and I'd have to do it again in 6 months? No chance.

But you'd rather force people to choose between not voting or wasting 5 hours at the DMV (followed by another 5 hours in line for some). You're not in favor of anything that makes it easier to vote. We know why.

KillerGopherFan

Reaction score
That's what the ID is for. The ID proves who you are. If the address isn't current, a recent utility bill proves where you live. There's zero issue with this and many states like MN do it that way.

But you'd rather force people to go spend 5 hours at the DMV. You're not in favor of anything that makes it easier to vote. We know why.
😂🤣😂🤣😂🤣
Big government lefties complaining about 5 hour waits at the DMV is hilarious and pure irony.

You want to completely ignore that the vast majority of the American public WANTS voter ID using drivers licenses and state IDs, including 67% of black people surveryed. 97% of the population that voted has a drivers license.

howeda7

Reaction score
😂🤣😂🤣😂🤣
Big government lefties complaining about 5 hour waits at the DMV is hilarious and pure irony.

You want to completely ignore that the vast majority of the American public WANTS voter ID using drivers licenses and state IDs, including 67% of black people surveryed. 97% of the population that voted has a drivers license.
The QOP is against the DMV? The Dems love it? You're full of it.

JoJo and the Libertarians have that market cornered. No licenses for anyone! 8 year olds can drive. Freedom!

This proposed laws still does that. Your poll is not at odds with this proposal at all. A non-small portion of the 97% does not have their current address on their ID. This minor modification makes it easier for those folks to vote.

saintpaulguy

Reaction score
23% do not agree. That’s nearly one in four. Not a statistic I’d cite as as a positive.

Top Bottom