Voter Suppression efforts in full swing

Wally

Reaction score
Oh, so Blacks, and not Whites, are less likely to vote unless their Church "gets them to the polls" before noon......

Did I say that?
Republicans are targeting ways democrats vote, will it work? Who knows. Is it dirty? Most definitely.

Spoofin

Reaction score
Did I say that?
Republicans are targeting ways democrats vote, will it work? Who knows. Is it dirty? Most definitely.
Righties defending the government doing things for no obvious reason. Priceless....
If you are going to enter a conversation, please do try to follow along. Howie said, not once, but twice, that this was "obvious racist BS". I challenged that statement and you decided to step in.

What is priceless is that now both you and Howie are trying to shift the conversation on this away from it being racist.... I wonder why? The goal-post being moved again.

howeda7

Reaction score
Hey, Wally said they "get them" to the polls and that it wasn't rocket science so I went with it.

You, on the other-hand, are telling me that Black's have a tradition of voting after going to Church & White's do not have any such tradition. Also, Black's who have that tradition would have voted for Democrats, but now will just not vote. Do you have a Link or even a Twitter Post supporting this ridiculous claim? Honestly, you sound dumber in every post you make.

I have no idea what the issue was that they are trying to "fix". However, you are moving the goal-post again (RE: Amazon paying "low" tax rate). You stated on two occassions that this change was "obvious racist BS" - so stick to the topic and try to use a logical argument on why not opening polls until 1 pm on Sundays is racist.
Most of them will still vote. And most will still stand in line no matter how many polling places you close and how long you make the lines. But a few won't. And that's the point. The QOP will do anything to drive the turnout down among the groups who don't vote for them. By any means necessary.

Answer the question: What problem is keeping the polls closed until 1 seeking to solve? Your side is the one making the change. What is the justification?

howeda7

Reaction score
If you are going to enter a conversation, please do try to follow along. Howie said, not once, but twice, that this was "obvious racist BS". I challenged that statement and you decided to step in.

What is priceless is that now both you and Howie are trying to shift the conversation on this away from it being racist.... I wonder why? The goal-post being moved again.
Is it explicitly racist? No. Neither were poll taxes or literacy tests 60 years ago. But the intent and effect certainly was. And you would probably have defended those too.

stocker08

Reaction score
Most of them will still vote. And most will still stand in line no matter how many polling places you close and how long you make the lines. But a few won't. And that's the point. The QOP will do anything to drive the turnout down among the groups who don't vote for them. By any means necessary.

Answer the question: What problem is keeping the polls closed until 1 seeking to solve? Your side is the one making the chance. What is the justification?

Voting is a fundamental right, recognized by the supreme court as requiring a high level of protection. That's why the right was so gung-ho about invalidating the Voting Rights Act. They immediately started shuttering polling places. Now they are taking it further by continuing that malicious act while adding on a bunch of other bogus trash that simply dissuades voting....and makes it more difficult. They are going to continue to chip away at it. Five hour long wait lines for inner city folks just isn't enough. Instead of decent legislation and a move away from crazy (Trump) to rationality....they are just going to try and suppress voting as much as possible.

Spoofin

Reaction score

Answer the question: What problem is keeping the polls closed until 1 seeking to solve? Your side is the one making the change. What is the justification?
Two More Paragraphs moving the goal-post. You said it was racist. Now that you have been asked for facts to back that up you keep wanting to change the subject.

I already answered your question - I don't know what the justification is. I never came out pro/con this suggested change because I simply don't know. You, on the other-hand have clamiled to know - Racism.

KillerGopherFan

Reaction score
Churches shouldn't be political and we should tax them. But many of them are. Evangelical churches are among the worst offenders so spare me your sudden concern.

This is not about that. It's simply a tradition among many African American voters that the QOP wants to stop so fewer of them will vote. You can pretend otherwise, but you're only lying to yourself.
Churches are non-profits. We shouldn’t tax non-profits. But if we are going to, can we start with the employee unions and suspect charities that line their own pockets before we get to the churches?

You really need to make up your mind. Either church being over before 1 pm matters or it doesn’t. You can’t say it’s racist b/c lots of white people, which make up 4+ times the population of black people go to church on Sundays too. You just said that “evangelicals are political”. I’ll go out on a limb and say that there are unquestionably more voting white people, in absolute terms, in church on Sunday morning. So why wouldn’t it be disadvantaging more evangelical church goers than black church goers?

Again, I think it‘s probably a very good policy, especially if as you say that churches are political, for the state of Texas not to encourage violations of federal legislation that churches, as non-profits, not be involved in transporting church goers to the polls.

It’s totally logical for Texas not to encourage violations of the law and, perhaps, waiting for a reasonable time until most church services have concluded is a way not to encourage churches (white, black, or mixed) to be overly politically active.

And, it gives less people reason to miss church, including election staff, if the election polls aren’t open during regular church service hours.

KillerGopherFan

Reaction score
In Texas, liquor stores are closed on Sunday. Beer and wine can't be sold until afternoon on Sunday. That must be because of.......racism?
Obviously, trying to keep malt liquor out of the hands of African-Americans on Sunday morning.

Wally

Reaction score
I wonder why? The goal-post being moved again.

Because at some point you get sick of banging your head on a wall.

Curious how you deflect back to racism when I make a different point.

I'll chalk it up as a win.

Wally

Reaction score
In Texas, liquor stores are closed on Sunday. Beer and wine can't be sold until afternoon on Sunday. That must be because of.......racism?

If they are trying to supress democrat votes and most minorities vote democrat then its defacto racist.

howeda7

Reaction score
Churches are non-profits. We shouldn’t tax non-profits. But if we are going to, can we start with the employee unions and suspect charities that line their own pockets before we get to the churches?

You really need to make up your mind. Either church being over before 1 pm matters or it doesn’t. You can’t say it’s racist b/c lots of white people, which make up 4+ times the population of black people go to church on Sundays too. You just said that “evangelicals are political”. I’ll go out on a limb and say that there are unquestionably more voting white people, in absolute terms, in church on Sunday morning. So why wouldn’t it be disadvantaging more evangelical church goers than black church goers?

Again, I think it‘s probably a very good policy, especially if as you say that churches are political, for the state of Texas not to encourage violations of federal legislation that churches, as non-profits, not be involved in transporting church goers to the polls.

It’s totally logical for Texas not to encourage violations of the law and, perhaps, waiting for a reasonable time until most church services have concluded is a way not to encourage churches (white, black, or mixed) to be overly politically active.

And, it gives less people reason to miss church, including election staff, if the election polls aren’t open during regular church service hours.
Deal. Tax them all.

Souls to the Polls goes back decades. Why is it suddenly a problem? What problem is closing the polls until 1 pm seeking to solve?

Last edited:

Spoofin

Reaction score
It can be obvious (to anyone who's not an R shill) without being explicit.
Then why won’t you explain how not opening until 1pm is racist? I’ve asked multiple times and all I get is verbal gymnastics and goal-post moving. How is it racist?

KillerGopherFan

Reaction score
Deal. Tax them all.

Souls to the Polls goes back decades. Why is it suddenly a problem? What problem is closing the polls until 1 pm seeking to solve?
I’ve already answer that dummy. Again, it’s likely Texas doesn’t want to encourage churches to be politically active since it is against federal law for tax-exempt churches to be so.

BTW, I said I was against taxing non-profits. But if you do, start with unions... I’ll guarantee you that no Democrat would vote for that. Not gonna happen.

howeda7

Reaction score
I’ve already answer that dummy. Again, it’s likely Texas doesn’t want to encourage churches to be politically active since it is against federal law for tax-exempt churches to be so.
"It's likely" they were being altruistic. As the Texas QOP is known for. Lol. You're so full of it.

They're now claiming it was a "clerical error". Or maybe not.

Last edited:

KillerGopherFan

Reaction score
"It's likely" they were being altruistic. As the Texas QOP is known for. Lol. You're so full of it.

They're now claiming it was a "clerical error". Or maybe not.

What are you whining about? Like 2 hours is going to make a major difference?

Personally, I don’t think they should encourage people to organize the vote in churches as churches are religious institutions with tax exempt status and theoretically prevent from being political. I think 1 pm - 9 pm is fine. But if 11 am - 7 pm is what Texas wants, so be it.

It’s their state. Btw, if Texas Republicans wanted to stick to the 1 pm Sunday start time, they could. They chose to eliminate that concern.

KillerGopherFan

Reaction score

Go4Broke

Reaction score
Last edited:

Wally

Reaction score
Personally, I don’t think they should encourage people to organize the vote in churches as churches are religious institutions with tax exempt status and theoretically prevent from being political.

Sure lets strictly enforce that. I would love to see every church that mentions a politicans name lose its tax exempt status immediately. I think we all know which party would be screaming and crying about that!!!!
🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣

howeda7

Reaction score
Americans overwhelmingly want voter ID.

It’s not a racial issue no matter how much you want it to be.

Get over it!
KGF hates polls! Except when he doesn't!

Most American do support reasonable voter ID laws, such as MN has, including me. They don't support the BS laws the QOP has been passing recently.

KillerGopherFan

Reaction score
KGF hates polls! Except when he doesn't!

Most American do support reasonable voter ID laws, such as MN has, including me. They don't support the BS laws the QOP has been passing recently.
It’s not voter ID where you and I disagree I guess. It’s the “reasonable” part.

When I’m giving verbal permission for my wife to speak for me on a financial or service transaction phone call, my wife asks me to give them my name and tell them it’s okay for her to speak for me. They consider that ‘identification’, but I consider it covering their ass, not ID.

You’d probably be okay with voter ID being ‘I am who I say I am’.

Top Bottom