Visiting Bands at TCF Stadium

JPIIGopher

Reaction score
Does anyone know where visiting bands are going to be seated at TCF? Just wondering about possible obstructions in the corners and where those may be.

Does anyone know where visiting bands are going to be seated at TCF? Just wondering about possible obstructions in the corners and where those may be.

visiting bands will not be allowed in tcf bank stadium. most notably the becky badger band! ;)

I hope there gets to be more of a tradition of opponent bands visiting, but only as long as our band travels as well. If you go to any of the great, rabid rivalries in the conference the visiting band adds a ton of intensity to the game. MSU-Mich, OSU-Mich, Ind-Ill, etc. all have both bands at the game pretty much every year. My guess would be visiting bands will be in a corner near the open end.

I would be very surprised if visiting bands were not allowed to come. It is a great tradition in the bigten that should continue. I would assume there will be more bands making their way to see the new digs on campus. I would be surprised if the Badger band was allowed to come back, they have pretty much worn out their welcome.

From what I understand, they may come in the future, but none will come in 2009. Could be wrong about that.

I have no problem with the becky band coming to play during the game.... they can set up right behind the north endzone at the Dome :)

But only if there is a public service announcement that a group of sex offenders is in the area. :)

There are three sites where groups can be seated on the field surface, with space for 250 chairs each. The northeast corner (by the student section on the away side of the field) and northwest and southwest corners (scoreboard/open end). From what I understand, Athletics does not intend to put a group in the southwest corner (open end/home sideline), since it would put that group on our team's side. The most likely location for a visiting band would be the northwest corner. That would put them on the opposite side of the field from our band.

It is my understanding that Athletics currently does not plan on having any visiting bands during the first season in TCF (but you never know if they will change their mind).

Personally, I love visiting bands. They add to the college atmosphere. Actually, I think the Big Ten should step in and fund the travel costs for all visiting bands and cheerleaders as well as supervise their in-stadium activities so they can't become disruptive.

The Big Ten could limit the size of the traveling bands and cheerleader squads to make it equitable and demand that each university have a location for the band visitors in their stadium that is fair.

Visiting bands & cheerleaders should be part of the Big Ten experience. And the Big Ten can afford it.

Ditto, people who don't want visiting bands in TCF stadium must not watch much college football. Check out the SEC big rivalries. It won't be as big of an advantage if we fill the stadium with Gopher fans.

Personally, I love visiting bands. They add to the college atmosphere. Actually, I think the Big Ten should step in and fund the travel costs for all visiting bands and cheerleaders as well as supervise their in-stadium activities so they can't become disruptive.

The Big Ten could limit the size of the traveling bands and cheerleader squads to make it equitable and demand that each university have a location for the band visitors in their stadium that is fair.

Visiting bands & cheerleaders should be part of the Big Ten experience. And the Big Ten can afford it.

Most Pac-10 schools send pep band-sized bands to road games. The legendary streak that the USC band claims to have is mostly from this. They occasionally send the whole crew, but it's the exception rather than the rule.

When I was living out west, a friend was a sax in the Husky Marching Band. Her senior year, she was part of the travel band that went to such places as Stanford, Arizona State, and Hawaii. Yes, they sent the band to the islands.

Nemo, you're painting everyone with a pretty broad brush. Most of the people who don't want visiting bands are thinking of Becky and the Pigeyes. After
years of having virtually no home field advantage due to the large numbers of visiting fans, having the visitors band at the dome would have destroyed what
little advantage we had there. I'd be in favor of allowing visiting bands once we establish at least a semblance of solid fan support. Then bring 'em in.
Agreed, they do add a lot to the college game.

Boy, sure are a lot of very short memories here on this board.

A few years ago, the band wanted to go to Madison to play, Wis refused, and to top it off. cut the Big Ten required amount of available visitor tickets. They should be banned forever from TCF, if they want to come, say sure, then tell them to set up on Northrup Mall. It was good enough for the Replacements, Husker Du, and many others, it is way too good for them, but we will allow them to play there once, during the game, then ban them from there too. Michigan has denied the band access as well, even though they make room for N.D., MSU, and Ohio States bands. So the same goes for them. There will be atmosphere a plenty without them. As for anybody else? say sure as long as we get to play their stadiums as well.

A few years ago, the band wanted to go to Madison to play, Wis refused, and to top it off. cut the Big Ten required amount of available visitor tickets. They should be banned forever from TCF, if they want to come, say sure, then tell them to set up on Northrup Mall. It was good enough for the Replacements, Husker Du, and many others, it is way too good for them, but we will allow them to play there once, during the game, then ban them from there too. Michigan has denied the band access as well, even though they make room for N.D., MSU, and Ohio States bands. So the same goes for them. There will be atmosphere a plenty without them. As for anybody else? say sure as long as we get to play their stadiums as well.

In the case of Wisconsin, it wasn't that they told out band "no" but that visiting bands have to buy tickets for each member of the band at face value and the cost is extremely high, not many bands visit WI for this reason.

As for Michigan, I believe that year was 2004 or 05 and the MN band was planning to go to Michigan, but Michigan declared our game homecoming so obviously no visiting band is going to be invited on HC. Plus with their Alumni band/cheer there isn't any room on the sidelines for a visiting band on homecoming.

In the case of Wisconsin, it wasn't that they told out band "no" but that visiting bands have to buy tickets for each member of the band at face value and the cost is extremely high, not many bands visit WI for this reason.

This is the case for going to Iowa as well. Visiting bands have to take tickets out of the visitor's allotment.

As for Michigan, I believe that year was 2004 or 05 and the MN band was planning to go to Michigan, but Michigan declared our game homecoming so obviously no visiting band is going to be invited on HC. Plus with their Alumni band/cheer there isn't any room on the sidelines for a visiting band on homecoming.

Bands are not allowed to visit another school if it is their Homecoming.

Bands are not allowed to visit another school if it is their Homecoming.

Didn't this happen to us back in 2000 or so? I remember during spat camp that year Dave Whitaker telling us that there may have been a trip to Purdue or Northwestern, I can't remember which.

I'm just glad I got to drive the van to Iowa and not have to be in the bus with everyone else on our last "official" trip.

No

Didn't this happen to us back in 2000 or so?

No, it was just Jerry changing his mind as far as I remember. He wasn't very interested in traveling with the band after the Iowa incident in '97. I believe that was the last time the band traveled.

No, it was just Jerry changing his mind as far as I remember. He wasn't very interested in traveling with the band after the Iowa incident in '97. I believe that was the last time the band traveled.

Just as bad an idea as the "Copeland" show when Iowa was here that one year. I can still remember hearing conversations in the stands while I played.

Visiting Bands

I totally agree, that except for Homecoming any visiting band should be allowed. That being said, our band doesn't travel and to the best of my knowledge were're the only Big 10 band not to do so. Very disappointing, and as a band alumn, I wish they would change this. There always seems to be a plethora of excuses as to why they can't, just like all the stuff we're hearing about why they can't march down University Ave. My proposal was they should march up to Dinkytown from the stadium and march back down Univ. Ave. OR they should do something in Williams Arena simliar to the Skull Session at OSU, but I'm sure neither will happen.

Michigan wasn't having us for HC the year I was referring to. NW was homecoming for them that year, they claimed they were honoring somebody at halftime and did not have time, which turned out to be a lie. Nothing special was done at halftime. As for Wisconsin, the ticket dodge was the last in a string of excuses. As I said before, anybody but those two. I have also heard some b.s. excuses about not marching down University Ave, I hope I have heard wrong. I understand the extreme time commitment being in the Marching band is, but it is also why you do it. One of my biggest reasons I was looking forward to the new stadium was the return of the game day atmosphere to the campus, which especially meant the band coming down University Ave, the crowd spilling out of the bars near by to follow them to TCF.

Top Bottom