Video: Fleck "just because you win a lot of games, doesn't mean the culture is right"

No disagreement here

8-5, 8-5, 6-7, 9-4 says it takes more than winning at an above average level

You have to win and you have to have people believing there will be even more winning at higher levels in the future.
I feel pretty strongly that if Fleck has those records in his first four years, attendance will be better than it was at the end of this year.

It's not just about the wins and losses, it's about how you're getting them. Are you winning games you should? Are you getting the most out of your recruiting? Are you bringing in high-character players? Is your program viewed positively on and off the field in the public's eye? Those are things the Kill/Claeys regime struggled with. Will Fleck be better? Time will tell, but I'm optimistic.

So Fleck was brought in here to change the culture - because Mark Coyle told him it needed to be changed. That does not fill me with optimism.

Fleck had better hope he never does anything to get on the wrong side of Coyle - because Coyle will stab him in the back just as quickly as he stabbed Claeys in the back. .

Claeys buried himself, Coyle just helped him to the door.

It's abundantly clear at this point that Claeys led a team that may have very well liked him but without question had no respect for him. Team discipline was down, penalties increased, along with the events of 9/2; this group of players had little respect for their head coach and they did as much as anyone to get Claeys fired.

Things do need to change, and it starts at the top. We'll see if Fleck can get it done. Personally, I'm optimistic that he will.

It is interesting to read the comments as there is a big generation gap. Nothing has really changed in the world of Gopher football since the 1960's. Someone comes in and says they can change the stale atmosphere at the bank and the general apathy toward Gopher football. I am one of those who stays to the end of every game. You need to win over a new generation of fans that were lost in the Metrodome years. Sure we have seen salesmen come and go in here but there is no reason why we cannot win. You have to believe change can happen. It happens all around us and it is about time that it happens to us.

Go Gophers !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

It's abundantly clear at this point that Claeys led a team that may have very well liked him but without question had no respect for him. Team discipline was down, penalties increased, along with the events of 9/2; this group of players had little respect for their head coach and they did as much as anyone to get Claeys fired.

Things do need to change, and it starts at the top. We'll see if Fleck can get it done. Personally, I'm optimistic that he will.
Couldn't agree more!

Agree Ogee . I don't think he liked a lot of aspects about being a head coach. I know Sawvel gave all the pre-game speeches. And at any function he looked like fish out of water.i know when Kill was coach he did very little recruiting. He would stay back and run the ship.

I've been a manager for a long time. I've taken over some really dysfunctional situations. The best way to be successful is not to disparage the former culture. There is zero value in spending time discussing what happened when I wasn't around, because I don't know.

PJ's got a lot to learn, but one thing he has learned, if he's going to be successful under Mark Coyle, don't every say anything that Mark Coyle hasn't said himself. A very disappointing interview. He framed this to suggest things that simply aren't true.

My advice for PJ? Don't answer questions about the past. Focus on your vision and your future vision

changing the culture does not always mean the previous culture was bad. PJ said his players will wear collared shirts to class. That is a culture change, but cant say if it is better or worse than before. Maybe now they run to all drills or hop to the drills, whatever it is, there will be some changes. One thing I did notice with Clayes, his team taunted more than Kills, did a lot more trash talking, both of which I am not a fan of. Am looking forward to some of the changes

Exactly. This move is about off the football field, while all people can say about the previous regime's culture is on the field.

Guess Gary Tinsley doesn't mean anything to you? There are many more examples.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Agree.
The culture was such that despite the record, maybe 5k people were in the stadium at the end of a big northwestern win. That is culture that needs to be changed.

Totally agree. So you think PHJ can pull the big stick out of the average Minnesotans ass and stop the "beat the traffic" mentality out of fans.

I sure hope so. And if he's going to get the twin cities sports media to actually pay attention and look at the positive and the negative side that would be awesome.

The culture outside of the U towards sports needs a major overhaul. I look forward to any progress PJ can make on that front, but that is a lot to expect.

I feel pretty strongly that if Fleck has those records in his first four years, attendance will be better than it was at the end of this year.

It's not just about the wins and losses, it's about how you're getting them. Are you winning games you should? Are you getting the most out of your recruiting? Are you bringing in high-character players? Is your program viewed positively on and off the field in the public's eye? Those are things the Kill/Claeys regime struggled with. Will Fleck be better? Time will tell, but I'm optimistic.

At the end of the day, it will definitely be about wins and losses. More wins = good. Less wins = bad.

At the end of the day, it will definitely be about wins and losses. More wins = good. Less wins = bad.

So culture is bs if you win 13 games. Perhaps to Coyle, but not to me.

Really? The fan base doesn't see it that way. We just had our second-best season in 100 years, but the attendance numbers say otherwise. To me, that's unacceptable and why a change was necessary.

But since all that matters is a W or L, I guess you think a 30-point win next year against Wisconsin would hold the same weight as a three-point win against Middle Tennessee State? After all, it's only about the wins and losses at the end of the day according to you. They were both wins, so that's all that matters, right?

Really? The fan base doesn't see it that way. We just had our second-best season in 100 years, but the attendance numbers say otherwise. To me, that's unacceptable and why a change was necessary.

But since all that matters is a W or L, I guess you think a 30-point win next year against Wisconsin would hold the same weight as a three-point win against Middle Tennessee State? After all, it's only about the wins and losses at the end of the day according to you. They were both wins, so that's all that matters, right?

If your culture does not lead to wins, it will not matter what your culture is. Culture is not an end. It is a means to an end -- which is wins.

If your culture does not lead to wins, it will not matter what your culture is. Culture is not an end. It is a means to an end -- which is wins.
The wins will be there, I'm not worried about that. But wins alone won't fill TCF Bank Stadium, as we saw last season.

The wins will be there, I'm not worried about that. But wins alone won't fill TCF Bank Stadium, as we saw last season.

True. Perceived momentum and idiotic ticket pricing structures factor into it. Even Gopher Football isn't immune from price elasticity.

Top Bottom