Video: Fleck "just because you win a lot of games, doesn't mean the culture is right"

BleedGopher

Reaction score
Video: Fleck "just because you win a lot of games, doesn't mean the culture is right"

<iframe scrolling="no" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen webkitallowfullscreen mozallowfullscreen src="http://up.anv.bz/latest/anvload.html?key=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" width ="640" height="360"></iframe>

Go Gophers!!

I watched this last night and almost thought Max was getting confrontational in the questioning.

I agree you can win games and still have a poor culture.

Will be interesting with Max this morning.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

He's right. Wins don't equate to a great, or even good culture. IMO, Claeys was more of an Xs and Os coach than a leader of the culture. Fleck is digging down deep into what the program and each of the players, coaches, and staff must become.

I watched this last night and almost thought Max was getting confrontational in the questioning.

I agree you can win games and still have a poor culture.

Will be interesting with Max this morning.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I agree. It seemed like Max wasn't buying it. More like, he just doesn't get it.

When is Mike's 'negative information preventing Fleck from being hired' going to come out?

I've been a manager for a long time. I've taken over some really dysfunctional situations. The best way to be successful is not to disparage the former culture. There is zero value in spending time discussing what happened when I wasn't around, because I don't know.

PJ's got a lot to learn, but one thing he has learned, if he's going to be successful under Mark Coyle, don't every say anything that Mark Coyle hasn't said himself. A very disappointing interview. He framed this to suggest things that simply aren't true.

My advice for PJ? Don't answer questions about the past. Focus on your vision and your future vision - regardless of how it meshes, or differs from what happened before. You will be more successful. At this point, taking pot shots at people you have zero idea on what was going on does not help.

Old marble mouth has it in for Fleck, which is surprising considering Max almost always skews positive. Maybe he's jealous of Fleck's modern fitting and non patterned suits and sport coats.

The media is questioning him like he's a Brewster like dunce but he's thus far he always has a substantive answer.

I agree. It seemed like Max wasn't buying it. More like, he just doesn't get it.

Mike Max is, has been, and will continue to be a total jackass. he is twin cities media lite - all bitterness, all negativity, but he actually believes the bulls!t he spews. Fleck can't fix everything.......

I've been a manager for a long time. I've taken over some really dysfunctional situations. The best way to be successful is not to disparage the former culture. There is zero value in spending time discussing what happened when I wasn't around, because I don't know.

PJ's got a lot to learn, but one thing he has learned, if he's going to be successful under Mark Coyle, don't every say anything that Mark Coyle hasn't said himself. A very disappointing interview. He framed this to suggest things that simply aren't true.

My advice for PJ? Don't answer questions about the past. Focus on your vision and your future vision - regardless of how it meshes, or differs from what happened before. You will be more successful. At this point, taking pot shots at people you have zero idea on what was going on does not help.

Alert PJ worked with the previous staff, he quite literally knows the culture.

I mean, he did just that. He never said any specifics about the culture that needed changing or anything. All he said about it was that he was brought in to change it.... And he was, what else is he going to say? Your not just gonna lie, or ommit what your boss told you he was hiring you for.

The only other thing he said remotely related was that he needs to build trust. Everything else was talking about what his culture is about. He never gave specifics about the old culture that he did or didn't like. He never said "Well the previous coach did this, but I don't like that so I'm changing it to this" or anything of the sort. So I don't understand what your problem is.

Alert PJ worked with the previous staff, he quite literally knows the culture.

True. 10 years ago, right? At the University of Minnesota? No. Working for Eric Kaler and Mark Coyle? No. But you're right. Nothing ever changes. And while a different culture isn't a bad thing, it doesn't mean the last one was bad - unless your Mark Coyle and Eric Kaler who need it to be the worst cesspool culture that ever existed to save their asses from taking any responsibility for what happened. LEADERSHIP! With that kind of leadership, PJ will have to overcome them, just like every other coach that has been here in the past 50 years. I hope he's up to the challenge.

I mean, he did just that. He never said any specifics about the culture that needed changing or anything. All he said about it was that he was brought in to change it.... And he was, what else is he going to say? Your not just gonna lie, or ommit what your boss told you he was hiring you for.

The only other thing he said remotely related was that he needs to build trust. Everything else was talking about what his culture is about. He never gave specifics about the old culture that he did or didn't like. He never said "Well the previous coach did this, but I don't like that so I'm changing it to this" or anything of the sort. So I don't understand what your problem is.

Just because you win a lot of games, doesn't mean the culture is right...

Some of what he said was fine, but there were digs in there. I just heard it differently.

The part on trust, that was good. The part where he got baited by Max to comment on the "old culture" not so good. All I offered was a bit of advice for PJ to learn from. Don't worry, I know he's not checking here for my advice.

Seems like PJ learned his Practice Format from Kill?? Everyone said the same thing when Kill came here,- that their practices were truly unique and very up-tempo and efficient.

Seems like PJ learned his Practice Format from Kill?? Everyone said the same thing when Kill came here,- that their practices were truly unique and very up-tempo and efficient.

But they were not elite.

Just because you win a lot of games, doesn't mean the culture is right...

Some of what he said was fine, but there were digs in there. I just heard it differently.

The part on trust, that was good. The part where he got baited by Max to comment on the "old culture" not so good. All I offered was a bit of advice for PJ to learn from. Don't worry, I know he's not checking here for my advice.

Culture is the term Coyle loosely applied to discredit Tracy Claeys, and used an isolated incident to define it. Less than honest. PJ Fleck would do well to distance himself from this kind of talk. What will we all say when one of his speedy recruits shows some jungle love to a coed, and it hits the press:confused:

Mike Max is the type of media member that could only exist in minny. Love the joke about his "Face for radio and voice for print"

Culture with Fleck goes beyond his players. It also implies fan culture (their experience), media culture (called them out in presser), and community culture (PR of the kids doing positive things in the community by community leaders). Looked like he was about to expand on culture being beyond that of football players and it was edited IMO.

Culture with Fleck goes beyond his players. It also implies fan culture (their experience), media culture (called them out in presser), and community culture (PR of the kids doing positive things in the community by community leaders). Looked like he was about to expand on culture being beyond that of football players and it was edited IMO.
Exactly. This move is about off the football field, while all people can say about the previous regime's culture is on the field.

Culture is the term Coyle loosely applied to discredit Tracy Claeys, and used an isolated incident to define it. Less than honest. PJ Fleck would do well to distance himself from this kind of talk. What will we all say when one of his speedy recruits shows some jungle love to a coed, and it hits the press:confused:
Holy **** dude.....set yourself on fire.

Agree.
The culture was such that despite the record, maybe 5k people were in the stadium at the end of a big northwestern win. That is culture that needs to be changed.

Maybe the most intentional racist posts I've seen. Get a clue

The culture change has begun. This is the new poster in the locker room as of today:

Attachments

• IMG_0188.JPG
    IMG_0188.JPG
    14.9 KB · Views: 48

Maybe the most intentional racist posts I've seen. Get a clue

I feel like I'm well-clued thank you. My comment (however you feel about it) was not made in a vacuum. It was made in the context of the well-crafted narrative authored by Messrs Kaler and Coyle, which served to impugn the accomplishments and integrity of coach Claeys and his staff. And integral to that narrative was the term culture with all that it implies: behavior, ethics, morals, achievements and yes, race. If the terminology of culture was used so effectively to clobber Tracy Claeys and his legacy, my point is that it could easily be used again (in this same context!) to destroy PJ Fleck or anybody in disfavor.
End of sermon...

I've got some great stories about Max before he was married and out trolling in the Brainerd Lakes area. And yes, he is a total d-bag, and his face looks like someone hit him with pitching wedge..

I've got some great stories about Max before he was married and out trolling in the Brainerd Lakes area. And yes, he is a total d-bag, and his face looks like someone hit him with pitching wedge..
48, 50 or 52 degree pitching wedge?

Sent from my SM-G360V using Tapatalk

Wow

So Fleck was brought in here to change the culture - because Mark Coyle told him it needed to be changed. That does not fill me with optimism.

Fleck had better hope he never does anything to get on the wrong side of Coyle - because Coyle will stab him in the back just as quickly as he stabbed Claeys in the back.

As long as he wins, all will be well. Until or unless there's another incident. And with 110 guys from 18-22 years old, the odds of an incident are better than not over a 3-4 year period.

All the culture talk is fine - but it still comes down to winning FB games. Next year is a honeymoon year. with breaking in a new QB and new system, I guess a 6-6 record or better will be accepted. But, going forward, Fleck is going to have to produce. If he does not come up with a 9-win or better season by year 3, all the culture talk in the world won't stop people from grumbling.

Well, coach Fleck does talk a Good game, I agree. It could happen that way, and I would just hope that there is a measure of due process. I wouldn't want to see another player get Lynched.

Agree.
The culture was such that despite the record, maybe 5k people were in the stadium at the end of a big northwestern win. That is culture that needs to be changed.

If Fleck can go 9-4 with great culture, however defined, I see the momentum around the team amping dramatically. If he goes 4-9, ain't no culture going to keep fans in the stadium. Gotta have the wins or nothing will change.

If Fleck can go 9-4 with great culture, however defined, I see the momentum around the team amping dramatically. If he goes 4-9, ain't no culture going to keep fans in the stadium. Gotta have the wins or nothing will change.
No disagreement here

8-5, 8-5, 6-7, 9-4 says it takes more than winning at an above average level

You have to win and you have to have people believing there will be even more winning at higher levels in the future.

Top Bottom