Very In Depth Preseason Top 25 Rankings

sidefx182

Reaction score
Here is a nice in depth preseason top 25 for you all.

Couldn't put the Gophs on here but they have a chance there is no doubt.

Do you all agree with the 3 Big Ten teams in it?

Can anyone stop the team the Gophs beat last year in UNC? I think honestly UConn maybe the biggest challenger, Drummond is a pretty big pick up to go with Jeremy Lamb.

Let us know what you think of the list.

The Big Ten is not going to be that strong this year, Ohio State will be good but after that there just aren't any great teams. Wisconsin's front court isn't that experienced, I don't see how they will be 11th in the country. Michigan is going to be okay but 16th or whatever they are ranked, I don't see it. With a little luck Minnesota could be right up there in the Big Ten standings. There is no reason the Gophers can't be the equal of Illinois, Purdue, Michigan State, Indiana or anyone with the exception of Ohio State.

They could fail miserbly because of an inexperienced back court but I think there is going to be alot of parity in the conference this year which could really help.

I hear you.

This is just opinion on all of these so I allowed my own feelings really get into this.

I think Michigan is on their way up the Big Ten, if Darius Morris was still there they'd be even higher in our rankings.

I understand your thoughts on Wisconsin as well. I also think that for "pre-season" rankings I am probably a bit high on them. They will need to come together a bit prior to being this good, but Taylor is going to be fighting for Big 10 POY and with Ryan's coaching behind a player like that I see the Badgers getting better and better and being one of the best in the Big Ten.

The Gophers to me, are what they have been. I don't see a drop off from past years, hope to god an upswing from last year but in no way to heights we haven't already seen in the Tubby years.

I agree, Wisky is overrated. They were a Sweet 16 team last year, but lose two key cogs in Leuer and Nankivil. Nankivil was the anchor of what was (for a good team) a pretty shaky defense - without him there, and the lack of the 1-2 punch offensively like they had last year with both Leuer and Taylor, the Badgers could really struggle and be NIT-bound unless the freshmen step up to the challenge. Of course they are more likely to make the NCAA tourney than not, since Bo always seems to get them there. But like I said, the defense could have some major issues.

As far as OSU goes, I'm not at all worried about the guards. Buford shot 44% on 3s last year, and they have a host of other guards that could potentially contribute, probably the most depth Matta has ever had in the backcourt. I'm more concerned about the frontcourt because I'm not sure how the parts fit together. Deshaun Thomas had the body of a 3 with more of an undersized PF's game last year - one of the keys for this team reaching those lofty national goals is whether Thomas can play the 3 effectively, and not be forced to play a lot of 4 due to the team lacking quality depth at the 4 & 5 spots.

All might be overrated

To be honest, I think all 3 ranked B1G teams are a little overrated.

OSU - Are they still a top 10 team? Absolutely, but we haven't seen talent stay in NCAA hoops like this for awhile, and I don't think they are better than UCONN, Kentucky, and Syracuse. If this was a normal year where those top tier ACC and Big East schools were leaning on freshman, I'd put OSU at #2, but this year with those top programs having returning stars, it will be awesome to watch. I don't think OSU's players outside of Sullinger can play with guards/wings of other programs. FYI I pray I get to see Sullinger vs. Drummond.

Sconnie at #11 is a stretch. Taylor is phenomenal, but who else? If Taylor doesn't average almost double digit assists, I don't see him single handily carrying the Badgers. I thought MINN didn't have enough scorers, but at least we have athletic guys to create 2nd chance points, I don't see that for Wisconsin. I'm not sold at all on Brueschawitz (spelling?)

Michigan - To me hardest team to judge. How much of the ranking is on the tournament run last year, and is that really who they are? Maybe, but I'm not quite sold on them either. Don't have many reasons to back it up, just a gut feeling.

The more and more I evaluate the B1G, the more excited I get for the Gophers chances to fight for a championship. We will suprise a lot of people!

In Trevor We Trust!

Ok I get your doubt of the Badgers, as I said before, but as the person who wrote these rankings I personally have been burned too many times doubting Bo and his squad. So maybe it's that past experience for me that has me overrating them. But I do think having, and I think this maybe true, the most mature and possibly best player in the conference on your team is a huge plus, then add to that he is the PG and will have the ball in his hands most of the time I really think that gives the Badgers a huge advantage. Look at all past title winners and almost all of them have great PG's. (Rah Ruh...did I just tell us why the Gophers will struggle this year...I think I did)

Also just because you can't name Badgers who will contribute to them being good right now doesn't mean anything, it's rare anyone can, Badgers get known after the season is over and we say "Wow can't believe "insert name" played so well."

Top Bottom