USC Now Next ???

mnboiler

Resident Purdue Expert
Reaction score
A few quick thoughts about the USC series.

It's a very bold move by Brewster and Maturi. I might be reading to much into this but does this mean the Gophers will try and have a bigger recuiting presence in Southern California? There is more high D-1 talent there than USC and ULCA can take. Just a thought.

Now with the series finalized I would almost expect that it would be an tradition to play a "Name" team, like USC. Am I crazy to think that there might be a series with Texas in the works also, say 2012 and 2013. I know the Gophers try and have a huge recuiting haul from there so I would think they would be on the list too. And if not UT maybe a trip to Aggieland would be in order.

Or am I just reading to much into this?

I would guess you're reading too much into it. I do think they may try to take advantage of the exposure in SoCal by recruiting there more heavily around these games.

However, they already have home and homes with Colorado and Oregon St in the years following the USC matchups. I don't see them adding a top-tier team to the schedule to go along with a mid-tier BCS game.

I'd be more than happy if the BCS team they played each year was a "marquee" opponent every 3rd or 4th series.

We have Colorado in 2012 and 2013, which if Hawkins continues recruiting well, should be a very high-profile matchup for us.

I think that may be the idea, you have to have at least one NC power on the schedule if you yourself want to be included in that same category. It's good for a program even if you lose most times. I like it.

Maturi has said that he wants to play a BCS team every year in our non-conference schedule.

I think that's pretty good rule even if we don't schedule a current BCS "power" each year. The reason I'm Ok with that is because of how far in advance scheduling is done (in most cases. Exception of USC which was done this year for next year).

When we played TT at the insight bowl, they were a middle of the pack team. Now 2 yrs later they were one of the top teams in the country.

As WriterGoph stated, Colorado should be pretty good when we play them. But when we scheduled them, I thought they weren't doing too good.

Oregon state looks like a good oponent right now, but in 5 yrs when we play, they could be a top 10 team or bottom of the barrel.

Brewster has said that he wants to set up a home/home with Texas. You may be accurate or you may be reading too much into it; nobody really knows right now.

Personally, I would love to see Texas, Texas Tech or Texas A&M on the schedule and if those aren't a possibility I'd settle for TCU.

Brewster has said that he wants to set up a home/home with Texas. You may be accurate or you may be reading too much into it; nobody really knows right now.

Personally, I would love to see Texas, Texas Tech or Texas A&M on the schedule and if those aren't a possibility I'd settle for TCU.

I would love to see this happen. Austin is the most fun town to visit in the list, Texas A&M has the best gametime experience I think and TCU is in a nice area of fort worth but the stadium is small so there wouldn't be many gopher fans able to go. Lubbock, TX is a hole.

Our NC schedule for the next few years consists of mostly small local schools and some from the west coast. There are a few open spots open right now, and I think filling those spots with some Texas schools would be a good idea. We already have quite a few texas players on the squad, and we are continuing to open up the area in the recruiting race. It'd be a nice treat for our current players to play at least one game closer to home, and a chance for some potential recruits to see us play as well. I'm sure that about every other team in the country has these same goals, but with Brewster's connections to the state maybe we could pull something off. If not with UT, then maybe another school

What about Nebraska?

Our NC schedule for the next few years consists of mostly small local schools and some from the west coast. There are a few open spots open right now, and I think filling those spots with some Texas schools would be a good idea. We already have quite a few texas players on the squad, and we are continuing to open up the area in the recruiting race. It'd be a nice treat for our current players to play at least one game closer to home, and a chance for some potential recruits to see us play as well. I'm sure that about every other team in the country has these same goals, but with Brewster's connections to the state maybe we could pull something off. If not with UT, then maybe another school

If I remember right, Minnesota and Nebraska have more games than any other out-of-conference rivalry than any other teams in the country.....and I'd love to have a chance for some pay back too!!!!!

A few quick thoughts about the USC series.

It's a very bold move by Brewster and Maturi. I might be reading to much into this but does this mean the Gophers will try and have a bigger recuiting presence in Southern California? There is more high D-1 talent there than USC and ULCA can take. Just a thought.

Now with the series finalized I would almost expect that it would be an tradition to play a "Name" team, like USC. Am I crazy to think that there might be a series with Texas in the works also, say 2012 and 2013. I know the Gophers try and have a huge recuiting haul from there so I would think they would be on the list too. And if not UT maybe a trip to Aggieland would be in order.

Or am I just reading to much into this?

This is a major move. Cannot think of a bigger profile opponant. We've been trying to get a foothold in Socal for the past 3 years and this might just be that claw in the door. The talent in LA is as rich or richer than Dallas and Houston combined.

I would love to see this happen. Austin is the most fun town to visit in the list, Texas A&M has the best gametime experience I think and TCU is in a nice area of fort worth but the stadium is small so there wouldn't be many gopher fans able to go. Lubbock, TX is a hole.

Let's be honest, West Texas is a hole.

This is an interesting development to be sure.....

I'm not sure how I feel about it. I understand the need to play some high profile programs in the future and needless to say, USC certainly qualifies. I'm not sure if we're going to be ready for this kind of opponent in either year, but, it will be nice to be able to go into the game and just let loose and play football.

I guess Brewster wasn't kidding when he said he wanted to schedule some top flight opponents. Well, mission accomplished with this one. And to borrow a quote "the hall is rented, the orchestra engaged, it's now time to see if you can dance..."

It all good

Players, recruits, fans. They all want to play the best. They want the spotlight. They want to beat the best. Believe it or not recruits know who you have on the schedule. Coaches use that on the couch in your living room. You want to play a Big 10 Schedule and play say USC, Texas, Colorado in the non conference season. We have the schedule, the TV exposure, a great school, and as Coach Brewster likes to say why would you want to go anywhere else?

Top Bottom