USC National Champs?

FreakyDeke

picked a dumb moniker
Reaction score
Where is all this talk about USC being #1 coming from? They will have the same number of losses as the winner of Florida/Oklahoma at the end of the year and they come from a weaker conference, will have beaten a weaker bowl opponent, and didn't have to play a conference championship game. I just find it odd that all the talk leading up to the bowls was how Texas should have gone instead of OK, now out of no where its USC.

I have thought all season that USC is the best team in the land. I think the Pac-10 was a really underrated conference this year. No where as bad as people thought they would be. You have to remember the are 6-0 in bowl games. I don't think that they will be National Champs but they are the best team in my opinion.

I understand why people would vote for Utah but I think if they would pay USC, OU, UF, Texas, or even Bama again they get beat at a neutral site.

Yeah, I think I'm with you on Utah. Why not? They may not be the most talented team, or even best team, but they did what they needed to. No loss at home to Ole Miss, no loss to Oregon State. What they did do, is beat Oregon State, Michigan, TCU, BYU, and Alabama. Not a bad resume at all.

USC has always seemed to be a team that has NC talent every year but has one or two games where they don't play well at all. Ex: Oregon State this year, UCLA and Stanford last year, Oregon State two years ago. It is just amazing that as good as they always look in the Rose Bowl that they don't play like that all the time.

>>USC has always seemed to be a team that has NC talent every year...<<

USC gets away with more cheating than anyone. Recall the payoffs to the parents of Reggie Bush. They should have taken his postseason awards away and also the national championship.

I think USC is the best team in the country, but thats not the point of a national championship. It's to reward the team that played the best. Why not Utah, they did everything they needed to do, including beating Alabama and terrorizing Wilson in that game. They aren't the best team, but they did the best this season.

Where is all this talk about USC being #1 coming from? ... they come from a weaker conference, will have beaten a weaker bowl opponent, and didn't have to play a conference championship game.

Oklahoma State lost. Texas Tech lost. Oklahoma State lost. Alabama lost. Missouri struggled with Northwestern and had to rely on a missed PAT to get to OT. These were the teams that launched Florida and Oklahoma into the NC game?!?

Obviously The SEC and Big 12 South were not nearly as tough as the pollsters gave them credit for. Obviously the Pac Ten was vastly under-rated.

At this point, Texas is going to have to kill Ohio State for the NC game to be legitimate at all.

I think USC is the best team in the country, but thats not the point of a national championship. It's to reward the team that played the best. Why not Utah, they did everything they needed to do, including beating Alabama and terrorizing Wilson in that game. They aren't the best team, but they did the best this season.

Utah tried to schedule 2 quality non-conference opponents, and the MWC was better than expected ... so you have to respect what they did this year. However, more than anything else, I think their win over Alabama suggests that the SEC West was not as good as the AP voters all gave them credit for. Utah will need to go to USC, win, and be undefeated to ever be considered for the NC game.

Top Bottom