USC game, 2:30 kickoff, ESPN

The more the middle of the day games the better chance for weather to be warm!

That is an awesome kick off time. When was the last time a gopher home game kicked off at 2:30p? Not that it happened that long ago, it's just I don't remember off hand.

Frankly, I would have preferred a night game but 2:30 will be hyped for sure.

The more the middle of the day games the better chance for weather to be warm!

I hope in September it isn't THAT cool yet lol. That Cal game last year it was like 80° by like halftime with the 11am kickoff. I was burning up, as the sun was strong, but I loved it and wouldn't have had it any other way haha.

I just checked the usc website and I read that it is 2:30pm PT start time. That means 4:30pm start time in Minny. That doesn't make sense

This was the one game I was hoping for an 11:00 a.m. start. Maybe it's stupid, but I was hoping the early kick would make for a tough adjustment for SC.

Whatever. Now it's more time to drink.

I just checked the usc website and I read that it is 2:30pm PT start time. That means 4:30pm start time in Minny. That doesn't make sense

Not sure which SC site you looked at.
The game will be carried NATIONALLY on ESPN. 2:30pm CST is the time slot. ASU/Wisconsin has the regional ABC/ESPN2 feed.

great start time, great exposure for the gophs.

on a side note, i've got two extra iowa tix for 2 sc tickets should anyone want to trade. much family coming into town from LA and need all the extras i can find.

thanks

I've been following sports for almost 30 years. I've been a fan of a lot of different teams at all levels of competition. This board is the only, and I mean the only place where I've ever seen anyone actually care about what time the games start. Not only care about it, but discuss it, dissect it, and lobby for certain time preferences over others.

I guess the point is, what the hell is the difference? The games are scheduled when they are scheduled. Show up, don't show up, but who cares? Does anyone truly think 11 vs. 2:30 vs. 7 vs. whenever makes that big of a difference? USC/Ohio St./Florida/Texas/etc. didn't get good because they were scheduled in the "prime" TV slots. They got scheduled in the prime TV slots because they were good.

This board is the only, and I mean the only place where I've ever seen anyone actually care about what time the games start. Not only care about it, but discuss it, dissect it, and lobby for certain time preferences over others.

I guess the point is, what the hell is the difference?

Then you need to get out and visit more boards...virtually speaking of course. lots of chatter on start times on SC, Cal, ND sites that I frequent. Mostly because of the tailgating implications and what to cook of course.

I HATE 11am starts. they suck. period. 2:30 is just about perfect if you ask me. late afternoon sun moving across the field...plenty of tailgate time before in the sunshine, and after in the dusk.

I LOVE COLLEGE FOOTBALL!!!

This is great! Mid-afternoon and everyone will be out of bed to watch the drubbing of the Trojans on national tv! Maintain the hope, Gopher faithful. We will come back.

I've been following sports for almost 30 years. I've been a fan of a lot of different teams at all levels of competition. This board is the only, and I mean the only place where I've ever seen anyone actually care about what time the games start. Not only care about it, but discuss it, dissect it, and lobby for certain time preferences over others.

Guess we're just special here @ GH. However, this assumes your internet message board experiences are truly universal of course and not, ya know, the experiences of a single poster with his own likes, dislikes, and board preferences. And while we're here...are you aware of all internet traditions as well? ;).

Not trying to be too snarky, but even if this were true who cares? It obviously matters to folks here or there wouldn't be threads all about it.

Then you need to get out and visit more boards...virtually speaking of course. lots of chatter on start times on SC, Cal, ND sites that I frequent. Mostly because of the tailgating implications and what to cook of course.

I LOVE COLLEGE FOOTBALL!!!

Terrible excuse. Tailgating is a simple science:

1. arrive when parking lots open
2. start grill
2a. drink beverage of choice
3. grill brats - preferably cheddarwurst
4. add stadium sauce
5. eat food
5a. drink more root beer floats
6. go to game, put on game face, watch gophers beat the crap out of the other team, go home, go sleep, be happy
7. repeat next week

See, simple. Nothing changes. But only accept the challenge if you are worthy.

Note: this could also include another round of tailgating before leaving the parking lot, thus you spend the whole day on campus.

I guess the point is, what the hell is the difference? The games are scheduled when they are scheduled. Show up, don't show up, but who cares? Does anyone truly think 11 vs. 2:30 vs. 7 vs. whenever makes that big of a difference? USC/Ohio St./Florida/Texas/etc. didn't get good because they were scheduled in the "prime" TV slots. They got scheduled in the prime TV slots because they were good.

128906795587695068.jpg

2. start grill
4. add stadium sauce
5. eat food
6. go to game, put on game face, watch gophers beat the crap out of the other team, go home, go sleep, be happy
7. repeat next week

Note: this could also include another round of tailgating before leaving the parking lot, thus you spend the whole day on campus.

Some folks opt for a more elaborate setup. Part of that is what food to cook (there are plenty of other acceptable foods besides brats, trust me) and part the answer to "What food?" is based on time of day (at least for those who enjoy elaborate tailgates). Since such folks put hour after hour preparing their menus I'm not sure why it qualifies as a weak excuse.

And there are tailgating implications. Like the lots being open longer for a night game. That's an implication I like. Its not a trivial one either. I'll show up when they open regardless. But I like it when I can be there longer and have to plan for the occasion so as not to run out of food or beer.

Not necessarily

>>>I'm not so sure. It would be a change from prior policy for ESPN and ABC to air two Big 10 games directly oposite each other. ESPN does not follow the same time slots as ABC and it's entirely possible they're airing the game at 4:30 CST with another game at 8:00....<<<

It happens every once in a while when the B10 is in non-conference mode and the opponents are draws from other conferences and regions.

I believe that Illinois' game with Missouri has been a frequent doubled up late afternoon timeslot in recent seasons. With the "reverse mirror" still in effect, it still means that both B10 games are seen nationally. Arizona State/Wisconsin will get the reverse mirror on ESPN2 outside the B10 footprint (where it will air on local ABC affiliates.

2. start grill
4. add stadium sauce
5. eat food
7. repeat next week

Although I can appreciate your sence of conviction, the blandness of this plan is indefencable.

Although I can appreciate your sence of conviction, the blandness of this plan is indefencable.

The blandness would be blamed on the mostly German heritage. Brats are my weakness. And sometimes tailgating is more about being with fellow fans. Plus, simple is a little easier on the wallet.

The blandness would be blamed on the mostly German heritage. Brats are my weakness. And sometimes tailgating is more about being with fellow fans. Plus, simple is a little easier on the wallet.

and you call yourself a fan...you should be ashamed.

each week's menu should reflect something about the opponent you are about to devour.
texas = chili
maryland = crab cakes
arizona = southwest cuisine
stanford = brie and chardonnay
wisconsin = *&^!#*&^!#*&^!#*&^!# cakes

you get the idea.

I love brats. And the bold is a wonderful sentiment that I support. And I like saving money. You sound like a fine tailgater.

I think what I (and everyone else) was trying to point out was that none of that makes the designs of those who do more planning to be a "terrible excuse".

What do you care if others care about the start time? I hate 11:00 a.m. starts. Hate them, hate them, hate them... 2:30 then is pretty cool to me. More time to sleep, more time to drink, if you are into that, more time to eat, more time to apply body paint, if you are into that.

What do you care if others care about the start time? I hate 11:00 a.m. starts. Hate them, hate them, hate them... 2:30 then is pretty cool to me. More time to sleep, more time to drink, if you are into that, more time to eat, more time to apply body paint, if you are into that.

More time to recover from the, "What to do?" thread options?

More time to sleep, more time to drink, if you are into that, more time to eat, more time to apply body paint, if you are into that.

How do you figure? There are 24 hours in a day, regardless. That's the crux of my utter boredom with the topic - nothing changes due to the kickoff time, other than one's ability to tailgate at noon instead of 9 am. Big deal. If you have to get up early, so what? That's what late afternoons are for - catching up on the previous night's sleep.

Top Bottom