USC and NDSU

Great Plains Gopher

Reaction score
Looks like we lost to two very good teams - and why didn't we recruit that Bison punter?

We lost to one very good team in USC. One can not put NDSU at the same level as USC! l would guess that USC would put up 40-50 against the bison by halftime!

we will win this week? said:
We lost to one very good team in USC. One can not put NDSU at the same level as USC! l would guess that USC would put up 40-50 against the bison by halftime!

Great point.

Was never a fan of the Gophs' gold jerseys, but I kind of like the look on NDSU.

Anyway, I'd take the Bison to inexplicably stun USC by 4.

Well, the Gophs got pasted by a putrid Purdue team and lost to NMSU too. No moral victories there.

The USC game is a head-scratcher. We held them to their season low scoring. To be fair, they had no tape on us and probably were just sleepwalking.

Because he was recruited as a Running Back and just last year was converted to punter after he was passed on the depth chart at running back

While that may be true, it still points out one of the great mysteries about the Gophers. Why can't we find an effective punter among the 85 players on the roster? Or among the 40,000+ student body? Teams like NDSU have much less to pick from, yet they have a very effective punter. The "converted RB" averaged 41yds/punt on the season. Makes us look even worse that we are handing a scholarship to guys that cannot perform, yet other schools can find the hidden gem.

While that may be true, it still points out one of the great mysteries about the Gophers. Why can't we find an effective punter among the 85 players on the roster? Or among the 40,000+ student body? Teams like NDSU have much less to pick from, yet they have a very effective punter. The "converted RB" averaged 41yds/punt on the season. Makes us look even worse that we are handing a scholarship to guys that cannot perform, yet other schools can find the hidden gem.

NorDak had one punt vs. the Gophers this year and it was 31 yards. The Gophers had one punt also, and it was 48 yards.

Do you think that the overall season average might have something to do with the quality of the athlete pressuring the punter?

this is a pretty strange and pointless thread. carry on. :confused:

Just from being at a game or two, I'm pretty sure SDSU's punter was even better than NDSU's.

Edit: He is indeed. Jason Schlautman aveaged 42.2 yards/punt and had 14 punts over 50 yards.

The fact that a 10th place big ten team played terrible and had a crazy touchdown go against them on the last play of the first half in a game in which the starting qb for Minnesota was hurt yet the FCS national champion only won in a close game tells you the divide between the top of Fbs and the top of FCS.

The fact that a 10th place big ten team played terrible and had a crazy touchdown go against them on the last play of the first half in a game in which the starting qb for Minnesota was hurt yet the FCS national champion only won in a close game tells you the divide between the top of Fbs and the top of FCS.
To be fair our starting qb was hurt in the USC game so that negates your whole point.

Georgia Southern the team ndsu beat in the playoffs 35-7, lost at Alabama 45-21. Obviously alabama would kill ndsu but it might not be the beating you think.

The top tier of fcs, in my opinion, can probably compete with the fbs teams ranked from around 35 to however many teams there are now.

If FCS played an FBS schedule every week, getting teeth kicked in and injured? I think not. This whole thread is absurd. It's like a Badger thread talking about UW-Whitewater. WHO CARES!

Ndsu would have probably gone 1-10-1 against Minnesota's schedule (would have tied themselves).

Who cares! Bottom line is NDSU kicked our asses up and down the field. I don't care about coaching changes and player transition. NDSU should never beat the Gophers.

NDSU was obviously a better team on the day we played. Since they are runner up that speaks volumes as to their quality. Other speculation about the potential of that team to win or lose to the FCS champions -- Alabama -- is just speculation one way or the other. They didn't play each other so there is no way of knowing how the outcome would have gone.

USC was over rated by the Gopher community and NDSU was under rated by the Gopher community. I think that is a fair statement.

I don't think USC was overrated. They finished #6 in the final polls. I don't think anyone (realistically) had them as a Top 5 team at the beginning of the year. They had a ton of (very talented) freshmen in their 2-deeps, and they played like it at the beginning of the year. When they got some experience behind them, they were very good, as evidenced by beating Oregon (who might've been the #3 team in the country) at home. If I had a vote in either poll, I would vote USC #1 in the first poll next year.

If polls were as good as games, there would be no need for games.

The next poll

Wish I could post a poll right here on how quickly Dpo will reply with a quick retort.

It's obvious we snuck up on USC, had we won we would have embarrassed them.
It's obvious NDSU snuck up on us, they're beating us was an embarrassment.
FCS national championships are cute and cool, kinda like duluth winning the D2 championship. it's nice but it really doesn't compare to D1 football.
Our losses to NDSU remain the greatest thing to happen to that program in their history.
USC will be back to strength soon, Kiffin will need to show he can coach under pressure now.

Wish I could post a poll right here on how quickly Dpo will reply with a quick retort.

Just give me a signal so that I know when I have your permission to post again.

The stats for the NDSU game are pretty even. The one stat that stands out is sacks. NDSU had 5, the Gophers had 0. I look a closer look at the stats for last season, through the first 5 games, The Gophers had 2 sacks, our opponents had 14 sacks. But in the last 7 games, the Gophers had 17 sacks, while our opponents had 8.

Also, in the first six games, the Gophers had 41 penalties and the last six games, the Gophers had 30 penalties.

This. I stopped reading here because this is exactly the question to ask. I seriously find it hard to believe that if I were to enroll in the U instead of St. Cloud that I could potentially be pressing Orseske for the starting punting job.

Speak! Retort. Whatever you want. With over 5,000 posts, doesn't look like you have anything else to do but post.

The day the Gophers played USC, USC was not playing like they ever deserved the #5 spot at the end of the season. It gives the ranking system a black eye. Even you have to admit that SC didn't look the part of giant killer in the first few weeks of their season. So, when does the #5 get a bye for having a mediocre first half to get ranked as high as #5 in the final. Seems to me they were over-rated. Just because a panel of experts liked how they finished does not give me that good feeling that they knew what they were basing their judgement on other than "expert opinion". 80 million people vote for President and do they always get it right? I don't think so. Frankly, to deserve the #5 spot, they should have spanked Minnesota by several TDs. They didn't. I would have them around 20 - 25.

Speak! Retort. Whatever you want. With over 5,000 posts, doesn't look like you have anything else to do but post.

The day the Gophers played USC, USC was not playing like they ever deserved the #5 spot at the end of the season. It gives the ranking system a black eye. Even you have to admit that SC didn't look the part of giant killer in the first few weeks of their season. So, when does the #5 get a bye for having a mediocre first half to get ranked as high as #5 in the final. Seems to me they were over-rated. Just because a panel of experts liked how they finished does not give me that good feeling that they knew what they were basing their judgement on other than "expert opinion". 80 million people vote for President and do they always get it right? I don't think so. Frankly, to deserve the #5 spot, they should have spanked Minnesota by several TDs. They didn't. I would have them around 20 - 25.

If these so-called experts can't get it right, why should we think that you got it right? The lowest-ranked 2-loss BCS team in the AP Poll is Michigan at #12. Putting USC at #25 would be pretty unusual, just because they struggled in one early game that they won. If they Gophers had beaten them, USC would have plummeted, but they won.

BCS

If these so-called experts can't get it right, why should we think that you got it right? The lowest-ranked 2-loss BCS team in the AP Poll is Michigan at #12. Putting USC at #25 would be pretty unusual, just because they struggled in one early game that they won. If they Gophers had beaten them, USC would have plummeted, but they won.[/QUOT

USC was the worst of the 10 - 2 teams IMO. We don't know if USC would have been 11-2 or 10-3 since they did not play in a bowl game. Since the cutoff for a 13 - 1 team was somewhere between the ranking of 14 - 18, a 10 - 2 team like USC certainly could fall between 20 - 25. I have seen stranger results over the years.

That stranger things have happened doesn't mean that putting USC at #25 wouldn't be a very strange thing.

[/QUOTE]
USC was the worst of the 10 - 2 teams IMO. We don't know if USC would have been 11-2 or 10-3 since they did not play in a bowl game. Since the cutoff for a 13 - 1 team was somewhere between the ranking of 14 - 18, a 10 - 2 team like USC certainly could fall between 20 - 25. I have seen stranger results over the years.[/QUOTE]

huh? the cutoff for a 13-1 team was between 14-18?
14. TCU 11-2
15. K State 10-3
16. Oklahoma 10-3
17. West Virginia 10-3
18. Houston 13-1

SC beat Oregon at Oregon, they lost to Stanford in triple OT. They got hammered by ASU early in the season. After the mid-point, from the back to back Cal/Notre Dame games on, they were awesome, finishing with the Oregon and 50-0 UCLA drubbings. the defense had come together, and Barkley and the WR corp were unstoppable, and the running game emerged. they all return. you are clearly a hater.

Top Bottom