USA Today: Would selection committee give unbeaten Houston fair shot at Playoff?

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per USA Today:

USA TODAY Sports surveyed 15 FBS athletics directors about whether they thought Houston would get a fair shake in the committee room, with the understanding that their colleagues represent five of the committee’s 12 votes (each Power Five league nominates one athletics director to be on the committee).

Those who responded were granted anonymity in exchange for their candor about the process.

Of the 15 who weighed in, only one — an athletics director outside the Power Five — believed strongly that the process would be stacked against Houston due to pure bias over conference affiliation.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sport...ff-committee-give-houston-fair-shot/90838386/

Go Gophers!!

They go undefeated with a win over Louisville, they are in no matter what in my opinion.

They go undefeated with a win over Louisville, they are in no matter what in my opinion.

What if:
Clemson
1 of Michigan/MSU/Nebraska/OSU
1 of Stanford/Washington
Alabama. ...

all finish unbeaten?

Not likely, but possible. Everything still has to go just right for the Cougars, most notably Oklahoma (9-3?) and Louisville (10-2?) both having strong seasons rest of the way.

What if:
Clemson
1 of Stanford/Washington
Alabama. ...

all finish unbeaten?

Not likely, but possible.

The committee picks four I guess. I agree with Gophers In Iowa though. Louisville is very good. If Houston runs the table even if the above happens they will get in. As they should.

The committee picks four I guess. I agree with Gophers In Iowa though. Louisville is very good. If Houston runs the table even if the above happens they will get in. As they should.

Would love to see this happen, 5 worthy unbeatens going into Selection Day knowing 1 won't make it. Committee would be in an absolutely can't-win situation.

Houston undefeated (given OU doesn't lose like 5 games and Louisville keeps winning) will:

1. Be better than anyone in the B12, even if Baylor or WVU is undefeated courtesy of their win over Louisville
2. Be better than the ACC outside of Clemson courtesy of that win over Louisville

This leave the SEC, PAC12, B10, and Clemson to POSSIBLY be ahead of them.

SEC undefeated and B10 undefeated is a lock to get in ahead of them. If the P12 is undefeated, I really can't see them getting left out.
Clemson to me is a debate on the relative strength of the wins. Houston over Oklahoma and Clemson over FSU and a ton of that would depend on how those 2 teams finish. If Oklahoma wins the B12, it's a slam dunk no brainer. Otherwise it gets muddy and is up for interpretation.

What if:
Clemson
1 of Stanford/Washington
Alabama. ...

all finish unbeaten?

Not likely, but possible. Everything still has to go just right for the Cougars, most notably Oklahoma (9-3?) and Louisville (10-2?) both having strong seasons rest of the way.

You're right, this happens they probably get left out. That's probably it though unless Oklahoma loses a few more and Louisville loses a few unexpectedly. Then a 1 loss team is maybe taken ahead of them.

Cough go undefeated and they are in! Those other scenarios are just too far fetched.

The way Louisville manhandled Florida State makes them look like a stronger candidate to go undefeated.

It works like this:
1. P5 undefeated
2. G5 undefeated
3. P5 1 loss
etc

It works like this:
1. P5 undefeated
2. G5 undefeated
3. P5 1 loss
etc

Teams like Army, Air Force, C Michigan, and Toledo have virtually no shot of making it to the playoffs if they go undefeated.

What if:
Clemson
1 of Stanford/Washington
Alabama. ...

all finish unbeaten?

Houston is outside looking in...reality is that in the end, SOS will be Houston's issue if this scenario plays out.

Houston is outside looking in...reality is that in the end, SOS will be Houston's issue if this scenario plays out.

I agree. So many scenarios that would be really juicy for the Selection Committee. ...

Perhaps most intriguing would be if (for argument's sake) we're left with:

(1) An undefeated Houston (with 2 strong non-conference wins ((Oklahome, Louisville)) that hold up well at end of the year);

(2) An undefeated Baylor (with its usual horse-crap non-conference schedule, not to mention its current public perception);

(3) A 1-loss Louisville (whose only loss is to Houston);

(4) A 1-loss B1G East & overall champion (especially if it's OSU or MSU);

(5) A 1-loss Stanford or UCLA (Bruins would have rattled off 12 straight);

(6) A 1-loss Alabama that loses in SEC title game to weaker East team (the only way I see a 1-loss 'Bama not getting in)..

Teams like Army, Air Force, C Michigan, and Toledo have virtually no shot of making it to the playoffs if they go undefeated.

This year they don't due to strength of schedule. The OP question was whether Houston would get a fair shot. Of course the would. They would be evaluated in the same manner as every other team. If Army went undefeated, they'd get the same business. The truth is, which we all know, is if you are G5, you better play some ranked P5 teams if you want a chance at the final four. Houston has done that, so they'll get good consideration. Much easier to be in final four then final 2 in years past.

I agree. So many scenarios that would be really juicy for the Selection Committee. ...

Perhaps most intriguing would be if (for argument's sake) we're left with:

(1) An undefeated Houston (with 2 strong non-conference wins ((Oklahome, Louisville)) that hold up well at end of the year);

(2) An undefeated Baylor (with its usual horse-crap non-conference schedule, not to mention its current public perception);

(3) A 1-loss Louisville (whose only loss is to Houston);

(4) A 1-loss B1G East & overall champion (especially if it's OSU or MSU);

(5) A 1-loss Stanford or UCLA (Bruins would have rattled off 12 straight);

(6) A 1-loss Alabama that loses in SEC title game to weaker East team (the only way I see a 1-loss 'Bama not getting in)..

Hard to say that the Oklahoma win looks great if they've now got 3 losses (extra loss to Baylor). You can't put Louisville in ahead of Houston in that situation though regardless.

So in would be, in my opinion, using your teams listed

OSU/MSU
Houston
Alabama (still think they get in because it's Bama; any other SEC team and I'd likely lean the other way)
That leaves Baylor, 'Ville, Stanford/UCLA. Ville is out b/c of loss to Houston. I can't see them leaving out a major conf champ with a conference title game win and think they go Stanford/UCLA as the punishment to Baylor for weak schedule and lack of title game and the weakness that it the B12 right now. Just take a look at their overall OOC stats. It's bleak in terms of the eye test.

Hard to say that the Oklahoma win looks great if they've now got 3 losses (extra loss to Baylor). You can't put Louisville in ahead of Houston in that situation though regardless.

So in would be, in my opinion, using your teams listed

OSU/MSU
Houston
Alabama (still think they get in because it's Bama; any other SEC team and I'd likely lean the other way)
That leaves Baylor, 'Ville, Stanford/UCLA. Ville is out b/c of loss to Houston. I can't see them leaving out a major conf champ with a conference title game win and think they go Stanford/UCLA as the punishment to Baylor for weak schedule and lack of title game and the weakness that it the B12 right now. Just take a look at their overall OOC stats. It's bleak in terms of the eye test.

As it stands now, Baylor has 2 ranked teams on their schedule: Texas (21) and Oklahoma (25). I think they get in if they go undefeated but that is it.

This thread made a bit nostalgic for the 2009 TCU and Boise State squads. In addition to prolific offenses with great players they could play defense and had a ton of players drafted into the NFL off those squads. Houston plays great offense, but it will be interesting to see if their defense can maintain an elite level.

If the playoff were around in 2009 there would have been absolute chaos. five undefeated teams in the top 6 and one 1-loss team (Florida). As it was, the BCS took the cowardly route of playing them vs each other. Boise 17 TCU 10.

Top Bottom