USA Today: What NCAA schools spend on athletics

I just had a bit of time to compare our budget with others in this presentation, but look at the contributions portion of the athletics budget for MN. 6 mil vs almost any BCS school far above that.
Epic fail # too high to count for Maturi, also found it interesting that national champ Auburn has only 1 mil more in coaching salaries than us.
I get that this is probably a fun with numbers type study, but there are some things that stick out when you compare our budget to others, and they're not real good IMO.

Do the "Contributions" include money for TCF? It didn't appear that it did. I'd assume the TCF money has taken a huge bite out of contributions from maybe a less then generous fan base. Thrown in the performance on the field and it might take a gun and a whip to get money from Gopher "fans".

I just had a bit of time to compare our budget with others in this presentation, but look at the contributions portion of the athletics budget for MN. 6 mil vs almost any BCS school far above that.
Epic fail # too high to count for Maturi, also found it interesting that national champ Auburn has only 1 mil more in coaching salaries than us.
I get that this is probably a fun with numbers type study, but there are some things that stick out when you compare our budget to others, and they're not real good IMO.

Is this all sports? Auburn participates in far fewer sports than we do...so that 1 mil may be with 25-30 fewer coaches...so it can be deceiving.

Is this all sports? Auburn participates in far fewer sports than we do...so that 1 mil may be with 25-30 fewer coaches...so it can be deceiving.

Yep, hard to make any conclusions from this when we don't have all the facts.

Top Bottom