USA Today Ranks All 130 Teams

NoelarBear

Reaction score
Minnesota comes in at #62

Here are the rankings for the 2021 Opponents.
Ohio State 4
Miami-OH 105
Colorado 94
Bowling Green 127
Purdue 101
Nebraska 40
Maryland 95
Northwestern 61
Illinois 108
Iowa 16
Indiana 39
Wisconsin 14

My opinion: No idea how they have Nebraska at #40 and Northwestern ahead of us at #60. That Nebraska number is just absurd.

Link to the article below.
USA Ranks ALL 130 Teams

Nebraska at 40; Indiana at 39. Yeah, I’d expect about equal results from those two teams. 🤨 I won’t complain about our ranking. We have to play ourselves into the top 25 to convince the most superficial of researchers … and that’s how it should be.

Are the Gophers the Rodney Dangerfield of college football?

Warning: Rodney's full of foul language.

Last edited:

62 ffs? There's only 65 P5 schools. Louisiana-Lafayette and Coastal Carolina clocking in 40 spots ahead of the Gophers, but would you lay points on those teams against the U this season?

Gamblers make the realest rankings and if the Gophers and Coastal Carolina met on a neutral field tomorrow I bet the Gophers are a small favorite.

This is why Fleck has a "crack" on his shoulder...this is why he is the King of "too's"...

The Athletic has us at #50. OSU is at #4, Indiana #13, Iowa #14, Wisconsin #15, Penn St. #24, Northwestern #32, Michigan #38 and Nebraska #70.

It looks like the team comes in with a lot to prove!!

I don't get it. We lost to Wisconsin in OT yet they enter the season with almost 50 teams between us and them?

The National Nebraska love just makes no sense.

Nebraska - 4 straight sub .500 seasons = #40
Minnesota - goes 11-2 in 2019 and returns a ton of experience = #62
Northwestern - 7-2 in 2020 = #61

Makes zero sense. I can understand being ranked behind teams like Wisconsin, Iowa, heck even Indiana but being 22 spots below Nebraska makes no sense. I really don't get the love Nebraska gets in spite of having done nothing under Frost to justify it.

I mean this is all just worthless filler to kill time leading up to the season but I just don't get what it is about Nebraska that makes these writers just assume they are going to be better than they actually are.

I don't get it. We lost to Wisconsin in OT yet they enter the season with almost 50 teams between us and them?

Indiana and Northwestern both beat them outright and dumped down into the 30s and 60s of these rankings, while Wisconsin gets the huge bump to top 15.

What happened last year doesn't seem to matter for some teams, but it sticks to the Gophers like glue. The Gophers haven't finished in the 50s-60s nationally without a first year coach in a long time.

People forget Wisconsin came within an OT of finishing last in the West. That wasn't just Covid stuff. In my opinion, they have real questions at QB.

Last edited:

The USA Today rankings are far too generous to G5 teams. Does anyone really think Purdue is the 101st best team in the nation? Colorado's 94th and Maryland's 95th?

Would anyone bet 2-4 Eastern Michigan over Purdue? 3-3 Central Michigan over Colorado? 3-3 Rice over Maryland?

UDA Today - United Dinks of America Today rankings...............

Good grief, get a grip.
Who with any sense cares about predictions made before one game has been played ?

If we had beaten Wisconsin, they’d come in only 35 to 40 teams ahead of us ….

Indiana and Northwestern both beat them outright and dumped down into the 30s and 60s of these rankings, while Wisconsin gets the huge bump to top 15.

What happened last year doesn't seem to matter for some teams, but it sticks to the Gophers like glue. The Gophers haven't finished in the 50s-60s nationally without a first year coach in a long time.

People forget Wisconsin came within an OT of finishing last in the West. That wasn't just Covid stuff. In my opinion, they have real questions at QB.
So true. Then again none of this matters. With some luck we will get to play the entire season and find out how good we are. Go Gophers!

They underestimate, besides Minnesota: Indiana, Northwestern, Maryland, Bowling Green.

I had a really good feeling about the Gophers in 2019. It seemed like they really grew in 2018 and by the end of that year there were a lot of signs that 2019 would be special. But, when predictions and lists like this were published 2019 preseason, Gophers were predicted to be 5th or 6th in the B1G West, all over the place.

most lists like this are put together by people that don’t look at anything other than their own assumptions based on the past. There is no penalty for being grossly wrong on multiple teams. They just need clicks and looks and they get that.

Top Bottom