USA Today: Johnny Manziel’s parents worried for Heisman son

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per USA Today:

Manziel and his father were playing golf throughout most of the in-the-life-of story.

Paul Manziel on why he doesn’t like playing golf with Johnny, who’s got a temper: “…he still needs love. He still needs guidance. He still needs to see he’s wrong — and how to control his temper. And if I give up on him, who’s gonna take over? The school sure the hell isn’t gonna do it.”

Another revealing tid-bit from the story came with Paul’s reaction to his son’s arrest.

After Johnny got arrested, Paul, never a heavy drinker, quit drinking altogether, to set an example. He feels the time slipping away.

“He’ll grow up,” Paul says. “He’ll fight the same thing with his son. And his son will think he knows it all. It’s a cycle. Right? I think that’s the toughest relationship in the world, fathers and sons.”

Michelle Manziel chronicled the bad side of being a famous athlete.

His mother remembers the moment she first understood that the change was affecting her son. After the shocking Alabama win, the one that earned Johnny the Heisman, a crowd gathered near the Texas A&M bus, pushing forward, crushed together, trying to see the star emerging from the locker room. Michelle watched as state troopers battled their way through the crowd with him. She saw the look in his eyes, one she’d never seen on a football field: panic and fear.

http://ftw.usatoday.com/2013/07/johnny-manziels-father-takes-subtle-jab-at-heisman-son/

Go Gophers!!

Aggie, is it possible that Johnny has had too much success too early, and is unable to handle the pressure of it all?

I'm not qualified to judge the mental and emotional health of a college student, but who doesn't have some sort of minor crisis sometime as a young adult? It's as much about being a young man as it is being a football star if he did blow off some steam somehow.

F this guy. He's not exactly fighting in Afghanistan (no need for faux military academy jokes).

per USA Today:

Manziel and his father were playing golf throughout most of the in-the-life-of story.

Paul Manziel on why he doesn’t like playing golf with Johnny, who’s got a temper: “…he still needs love. He still needs guidance. He still needs to see he’s wrong — and how to control his temper. And if I give up on him, who’s gonna take over? The school sure the hell isn’t gonna do it.”

Another revealing tid-bit from the story came with Paul’s reaction to his son’s arrest.

After Johnny got arrested, Paul, never a heavy drinker, quit drinking altogether, to set an example. He feels the time slipping away.

“He’ll grow up,” Paul says. “He’ll fight the same thing with his son. And his son will think he knows it all. It’s a cycle. Right? I think that’s the toughest relationship in the world, fathers and sons.”

Michelle Manziel chronicled the bad side of being a famous athlete.

His mother remembers the moment she first understood that the change was affecting her son. After the shocking Alabama win, the one that earned Johnny the Heisman, a crowd gathered near the Texas A&M bus, pushing forward, crushed together, trying to see the star emerging from the locker room. Michelle watched as state troopers battled their way through the crowd with him. She saw the look in his eyes, one she’d never seen on a football field: panic and fear.

http://ftw.usatoday.com/2013/07/johnny-manziels-father-takes-subtle-jab-at-heisman-son/

Go Gophers!!

Then why keep drawing attention to yourself? Doesn't make sense.

If parents are really concerned they don't agree to be in the story.

I think they all know exactly what they are doing in regards to the media.

I think they all know exactly what they are doing in regards to the media.

I do think they know what they are doing. I don't think it is good for Johnny Manziel. They are grabbing their own 15 minutes of fame,

Parents should be neither seen or heard. Marion Barber Sr. is a good example,

The drama, drama, drama surrounding this guy seems endless. What, now he's got a drinking problem? I'm somewhat seeing the second coming of Todd Marinovich all over again, and if this boy ever plays significant minutes in the NFL, I'll about eat my hat.

Beyond that, why doesn't he do himself a huge personal favor, and swear off the social media forever? Really, all it does is cause him problems, as his immature emotional outbursts get broadcast out for all the world to see, as if anyone wanted or needed to see them, but they become omnipresent, simply due to who he is.

Sorry, but I am simply tired of 'Johnny Football'.

The drama, drama, drama surrounding this guy seems endless. What, now he's got a drinking problem? I'm somewhat seeing the second coming of Todd Marinovich all over again, and if this boy ever plays significant minutes in the NFL, I'll about eat my hat.

Beyond that, why doesn't he do himself a huge personal favor, and swear off the social media forever? Really, all it does is cause him problems, as his immature emotional outbursts get broadcast out for all the world to see, as if anyone wanted or needed to see them, but they become omnipresent, simply due to who he is.

Sorry, but I am simply tired of 'Johnny Football'.

Are you tired of Tim Tebow yet?

Are you tired of Tim Tebow yet?

Not really, as he's pretty irrelevant at this point, even living up here in Patriots country.

This 'Johnny Football' character on the other hand though, aye yi yi, it seems you cannot get away from reading about him, and all I wonder about him is, what's with all the fricken angst? Here's a kid with every reason to be on top of the world itself, but instead you find him wallowing in drama after drama, and really, if it's as bad as his parents are portraying it, then maybe he'd be better off to simply quit football altogether. ***shrug*** Honestly, if it's creating this amount of angst and misery, then why even bother with it, but of course all these questions are entirely facetious, as this is an entire family full of drama queens, and it is the drama that they play.

Anyway, yeah, I'm tired of him, and tired of how he's all over everything, and how one can no longer escape hearing about him and all his teenybopper angst. And I compared him to Marinovich, but hell, at least Marinovich was fun. He wasn't at all about the drama as compared to Manziel, Marinovich just loved to party.

Top Bottom