US Open Golf Returns to NBC as Fox Exits Contract with USGA

Ignatius L Hoops

Reaction score

A suitable end to an awkward and sometimes unintentionally humorous broadcast partnership.

The U.S. Open is returning to NBC starting this year at Winged Foot after Fox Sports has asked to end its 12-year contract with the USGA, multiple people told The Associated Press on Sunday night.

Three people with direct knowledge of the change say it came together in the last two weeks. They spoke on condition of anonymity because the deal has not been announced.

An announcement was expected Monday.

The U.S. Open, originally scheduled to be played last week, was postponed to Sept. 17-20 at Winged Foot in New York when the COVID-19 pandemic shut down golf for three months.

NBC televised the U.S. Open from 1995 through 2014. That ended when the USGA signed a 12-year deal with Fox Sports worth about $1 billion that began in 2015.

Fox broadcast its first U.S. Open from Chambers Bay south of Seattle, with Greg Norman as the lead analyst. He was replaced by former PGA champion and Ryder Cup captain Paul Azinger.

One person said NBC would pay for just under half of the rights fee through the rest of the contract.

Two other people said the deal began to take shape this month, especially with the U.S. Open being moved to September during the opening month of the NFL.

One person said Fox was contemplating moving the U.S. Open to FS1, an idea that was rebuffed by Mike Davis, the CEO of the USGA. That led to deeper conversations about the contract and how it could be resolved.

This is good news. Fox was just awful at golf, starting with Joe Buck.

Just never made sense, cover 1 golf event a year which just happens to be one of the 2 biggest Tournaments in the country.

Hopefully, this is not a 1-year hiatus due to FOX Sports' busy fall schedule.

Hopefully, this is not a 1-year hiatus due to FOX Sports' busy fall schedule.

The agreement runs until 2026. Although financial details weren't announced, the general assumption is that Fox paid a good chunk of change to exit.

As a result, NBC Universal now has USGA championships rights until 2026. In its statement, the USGA says its “financial remuneration for the USGA will remain the same for the duration of the agreement.” FOX and the USGA originally signed a 12-year, $1.1 billion deal in 2013, the deal going into effect in 2015.

I wish NBC could coax Johnny Miller out of retirement for this. Azinger...blah, blah, blah.

What a middle class safari for BLM to visit. Conservative hockey played by men dressed in polyester. The toxins needed to kill the ground off so there can be a golf course. All the potato that could have grown there instead.

What a middle class safari for BLM to visit. Conservative hockey played by men dressed in polyester. The toxins needed to kill the ground off so there can be a golf course. All the potato that could have grown there instead.

Henrik Stenson would like to have a word with you.

Henrik Stenson would like to have a word with you.
Ah my brother always wants to have a word with me. Told him to shove it where the sun don't shine.

I used go to a golf tournament of sorts as a kid with dad here in Sweden cause we always followed his old famous friend round the course for a few years. Loads of swedish celebs from movies and music and more and I got loads of autographs.

I even got to meet Ingemar Johansson the boxer cause dad knew him from when they trained together for a club in Gothenburg though my dad was a cyclist. They hadn't met in ages but sat down and talked like they had met yesterday.

I was a good golf ball spotter as a kid and got them as memories from the players. Tiger Woods' 12th hole is always in Sweden one way or the other.

The summer night when most swedes stayed up all night to listen to it on radio and they even made a movie inspired by it.

Top Bottom