Updated Big Ten Power Rankings (through NBA declare deadline)

SelectionSunday

Reaction score
The Big Ten still hasn't released team schedules (for obvious reasons), but here's how I see the conference shaking down at this point. The assumption I'm making on Gophers immediate eligibility waiver requests is Both Gach gets one, Liam Robbins doesn't. Let's cross our fingers on Robbins.

Will update these rankings periodically as NCAA announces decisions on Big Ten transfer immediate eligibility requests.

1 Iowa (NCAA)
2 Illinois (NCAA)
3 Wisconsin (NCAA)
4 Michigan State (NCAA)
5 Rutgers (NCAA)
6 Ohio State (NCAA)
7 Michigan (NCAA)
8 Indiana (NCAA)
9 Purdue (bubble)
10 Maryland (bubble)
11 Minnesota
12 Penn State
13 Nebraska
14 Northwestern

Last edited:

Although not a certainty, seems more likely than not that Robbins gets a waiver and I would factor him into any power rankings.

Also I would say if Gach is eligible and Liam is not, I would have us as a bubble team. I think a starting frontcourt of Ihnen and Brandon Johnson would be just good enough to keep us in the conversation.

Really hope there’s a season to find out :/

I'd be surprised if Gach and Robbins aren't both playing for the Gophers this year. I'd go:
1. Illinois
2. Iowa
3. Wisconsin
4. Minnesota
5. Michigan State
6. Michigan
7. Indiana
8. Rutgers
9. Purdue
10. Ohio State
11. Maryland
12. Northwestern
13. Penn State
14. Nebraska

I'd be surprised if Gach and Robbins aren't both playing for the Gophers this year. I'd go:
1. Illinois
2. Iowa
3. Wisconsin
4. Minnesota
5. Michigan State
6. Michigan
7. Indiana
8. Rutgers
9. Purdue
10. Ohio State
11. Maryland
12. Northwestern
13. Penn State
14. Nebraska

The Jim Jones rankings.

Assuming Robbins does not get a waiver:

Illinois - Dosunmu would be my pick for POY, Cockburn makes the sophomore jump and they have good depth.

Wisconsin - because Wisconsin.

Michigan State - Hauser, Henry, Watts is a good trio plus the Spartans always have guys ready to step up.

Iowa - Preseason darlings still don't play defense. But Garza is a hoss. Wieskamp should be solid as a junior and there's good depth.

Ohio State - Big fan of Holtmann. Seth Towns and Justice Sueing are good pickups plus Washington, Walker and Kyle Young are solid returnees.

Purdue - Trevion Williams is a load. Hunter is a solid PG. Most people had Aaron Wheeler as a breakout guy last year and he stunk. I bet he breaks out this year.

Michigan - Michigan should've been way higher but lost two 5 stars most thought they had in the hopper. Still have Franz Wagner, Eli Brooks and Isaiah Livers on the wings and a new 5 star big plus the Columbia GT who put up points on a bad team.

Rutgers - if home court advantage isn't as much of a thing, Rutgers isn't quite as good. But most of their rotation is back, so they should be tough as nails.

Indiana - Jackson-Davis is excellent inside. Relying on a reclass PG feels like a recipe for failure but the Hoosiers do return Durham and Phinisee in the backcourt too.

Maryland - Loses its two best players but does bring back three good perimeter options with Wiggins, Ayala and Morsell. Size will be an issue - at least on paper.

Minnesota - guard trio of Carr, Gach and Kalscheur should give MN a chance night to night. If Ihnen takes a big step, they could be better. Frontcourt needs a lot to go right.

Penn State - Loses their frontcourt but the backcourt of Dread, Jones and Brockington should give them a shot against a lot of people.

Nebraska - Hoiberg is too good of a coach for Nebraska to suck for long. Think they start taking a step next year.

Northwestern - was very young last year. Can't be a whole lot worse. But doesn't have the juice compared to the above outfits.

Looks like a bloodbath conference to play in again.

Need Liam "Tree" Robbins in the middle to solidify the defense to really have a shot at the top 5 of the conference unless we can shoot lights out all season. LMFAO!!!

Yeah, we are going to need Robbins!

If Robbins available, there's a shot at pulling a 2019 Wisconsin type finish. Unlikely, with RP at the helm, but I'm telling you there's a chance.

1. Illinois
2. Iowa
3. Wisconsin
4. Minnesota
5. Michigan State
6. Michigan
7. Indiana
8. Rutgers
9. Purdue
10. Ohio State
11. Maryland
12. Northwestern
13. Penn State
14. Nebraska
Take off the golden glasses.

2012-2013 / Tied for 7th at 8-10 in coference
2013-2014 / 7th at 8-10 in conference
2014-2015 / Tied for 10th at 6-12 in conference
2015-2016 / 13th at 2-16 in conference
2016-2017 / 4th at 11-7 in conference
2017-2018 / 11th at 4-14 in conference
2018-2019 / 7th at 9-11 in conference
2019-2020 / 12th at 8-12 in conference

To think they will finish in 4th place above teams like Ohio state, Purdue, Michigan state, and Michigan is interesting. They never finish above those teams. If everything works out perfectly maybe they finish .500 in conference and in like 8th place.

Take off the golden glasses.

2012-2013 / Tied for 7th at 8-10 in coference
2013-2014 / 7th at 8-10 in conference
2014-2015 / Tied for 10th at 6-12 in conference
2015-2016 / 13th at 2-16 in conference
2016-2017 / 4th at 11-7 in conference
2017-2018 / 11th at 4-14 in conference
2018-2019 / 7th at 9-11 in conference
2019-2020 / 12th at 8-12 in conference

To think they will finish in 4th place above teams like Ohio state, Purdue, Michigan state, and Michigan is interesting. They never finish above those teams. If everything works out perfectly maybe they finish .500 in conference and in like 8th place.
I know the rosters of each team and think the Gophers have a better roster than those teams you listed if Robbins and Gach are available which I think they will be. Got nothing to do with golden glasses. Those historic finishes you listed have very little to do with the results this year squad will put up.

I know the rosters of each team and think the Gophers have a better roster than those teams you listed if Robbins and Gach are available which I think they will be. Got nothing to do with golden glasses. Those historic finishes you listed have very little to do with the results this year squad will put up.
That maybe true about the rosters and the gophers may have a top 4 team in the big ten for 2020-2021. It still comes down to coaching and I would argue that some of the teams you have behind the gophers simply have better coaches. They finished in the top half of the big 10 once in the last 8 years. While each team may be an individual team, you are who you are. They are a middle to bottom middle team in the big ten historically.

To not even put us as a bubble team is crazy. If Robbins and Gach both get waivers and we don't make the tournament would be even crazier. I don't see that happening though. Mark me down for a tournament believer with potential to do some damage if the chemistry clicks.

If Robbins doesn't get a waiver, I think a lot of things gotta go right for this collection to be in the bubble mix. Unless Curry comes close to what he was supposed to be before injuries, you are relying on Sam Freeman, Jarvis Omersa and Brandon Johnson to log a big chunk of minutes at center. I've seen nothing that indicate that those guys can hold down that fort.

You are hoping Kalscheur shoots better from 3 than he did as a soph. You are hoping Gach's production matches his athletic profile. You hope Mashburn plays better than the previous top-100 point guards we've recruited. You are hoping Williams takes a step forward. You are banking on Ihnen taking a huge step.

Agree but the job is not to be better than those rosters, the job is to be better than the opponents and that will come down to how well we defend. The lack of confidence from forecasters is that they would rate our coach no better than 10th.

Another ranking, this one from Rutgers beat writer Jerry Carino of the Asbury Park Press. Gophers come in at #11.

I find the opinions of professional ncaa basketball handicappers way more valid and accurate than the mainstream sports beat writers

With Robbins, there isn't a doubt in my mind that this team will be on the bubble at a very minimum. Gach and especially Johnson bring athleticism and experience. It's not a stretch to say that our 1-4 starters could all be better than last year's 1-4, and our 5 is a rising center with NBA potential (though not on Oturu's level)....

Carr - Doesn't have to carry the load as much. Efficiency goes up. All-Big Ten.
Gabe - Nowhere to go but up, shooting-wise.
Gach - Upgrade over Willis. Difficult match-up for opposing teams.
Johnson - Likely upgrade over Demir. Better rebounder and defender.
Robbins - Not on Oturu's level, but provides solid play. Reggie Lynch shot-blocking effect?
Ihnen (6th man) - Breaks out. Hopefully no injuries to slow his progression.

That lineup can absolutely make some noise, even in a tough Big Ten. Now let's hope we have a season.

I think if Liam isn’t eligible, Brandon Johnson would be ok as our starting 5. Not ideal but certainly better than having someone like Konate as your starting 5. Freeman or Onersa would be a disaster as staters though IMO but I think Curry and Mitchell would both be ahead of them.

Top Bottom