Updated Big 10 Tournament Bracket (through Sunday)

SelectionSunday

Reaction score
Gophers hanging in with a bye despite two losses this week. This would be a good time for the Gophers to pick up two wins in the same week.

Thursday, March 12 (First Round)
11 a.m. -- #8 Michigan (5-6) vs. #9 Northwestern (4-6)
1:30 p.m. -- #7 Wisconsin (5-6) vs. #10 Iowa (3-8)
4 p.m. -- #6 Penn State (6-5) vs. #11 Indiana (1-9)

Friday, March 13 (Quarterfinals)
11 a.m. -- #1 Michigan State (9-2) vs. Michigan/Northwestern winner
1:30 p.m. -- #4 Purdue (6-4) vs. #5 GOPHERS (6-5)
5:30 p.m. -- #2 Illinois (7-4) vs. Wisconsin/Iowa winner
8 p.m. -- #3 Ohio State (7-4) vs. Penn State/Indiana winner

Tough draw with this scenario. One and done. This tournament is a home tournament for the Boilers. Hopefully, this changes before the tourney.

Outside of playing Indiana, I think anything is a tough draw in actuality. I will say this, Tubby is an excellent tournament coach. When it comes to the post-season, we have one of the best in the country on the sidelines.

Playing Purdue again

Purdue is playing their butts off without Hummel, but I thought today's game vs. the Illini showed that the Boilers are finally wearing down. It's gotta' be tough mentally not knowing if or when he'll play again. Ohio State kind of went through the same thing with Lighty, but it looks like the Buckeyes have finally moved on. If Purdue is without Hummel in Indianapolis, I'm not convinced it's that bad of a matchup for the Gophers anymore. Losing Hummel is a lot more signficiant blow for Purdue than Ohio State losing Lighty is.

Speaking of wearing down, how about Talor Battle. He's been averaging around 38 minutes a game. That's a tough chore for someone with a 5'11" 165 lb frame. He really looked like he was physically struggling today.

I do not like the way things are looking right now.

Any scenario that ends with the Gophers getting a first-round bye (top 5), I'm all for it. Wouldn't care who we play in the quarterfinals.

Tough draw with this scenario. One and done. This tournament is a home tournament for the Boilers. Hopefully, this changes before the tourney.

Boilers w/o Robbie Hummel are a different team. He may be healthier by next month.

Top Bottom