UofM marketing

Torres9

Reaction score
Have we talked about how bad Minnys marketing is?
University of Minnesota commercial featuring this guy talking about Alzheimer’s

I can almost hear 17 yo football fans scrambling to re-prioritize their college preferences

I suppose it’s better than the usual focus on tractors and corn dna

87B39D3A-FDD6-466C-B47F-A8A1BA9C58A8.jpeg

Unless you are one of the 6 million Americans with this horrible disease but your point is well made. This topic is not going to excite any recruit.

If we want to talk bad about the U, let’s talk about how absolutely horses__t the online ticket app/system is. What a F’ing joke.l

Yeah I am sure lots of recruits are thinking "man that looks like a fun place to play...but the commercials suck so I AM OUT!"

This is a joke right?

I can almost hear 17 yo football fans scrambling to re-prioritize their college preferences

View attachment 20301
Hate to break it to you, but those ads are not just focused at getting Athletes to come to the U.

Hate to break it to you, but those ads are not just focused at getting Athletes to come to the U.
Hate to break it to you but that’s not what I said. Those ads are focused on promoting the U to an audience of college football fans

I think the U should use tapes of Brock Vereen for ads. Dude loves the M&G

View attachment 20301
It could be the there is overlap between college football fans and donors to the U of M's research mission. It could be that the goal of the ad has nothing to do with enticing a high schooler to go to college at the U.

Those ads are focused on promoting the U to an audience of college football fans
Nearly 100% of the U's marketing is targeted toward fundraising for research. Hence "Driven to Discover". Undergraduate education is not the first priority at the U and I don't think it ever has been.

Nearly 100% of the U's marketing is targeted toward fundraising for research. Hence "Driven to Discover". Undergraduate education is not the first priority at the U and I don't think it ever has been.
Good point (by you and others)

Hate to break it to you but that’s not what I said. Those ads are focused on promoting the U to an audience of college football fans
Fair, but the point still stands that the U is advertising to more than folks who are just football fans.

Plus, if a single commercial gets someone to decide to not go to the U, they probably weren't really invested in going anyway.

Fair, but the point still stands that the U is advertising to more than folks who are just football fans.

Plus, if a single commercial gets someone to decide to not go to the U, they probably weren't really invested in going anyway.

I 👀 what you did there
🤣🤣🤣

Yeah, I meant it’s just not driving people to get interested but as you and others have pointed out - it’s a research institution first and foremost.

I brought it up initially because we just took some family friends from Chicago to minny bc their son is thinking about the U. They were blown away by the campus and the city.

The perception of minny, even in areas as close as Chicago, is as an afterthought. Kids around here go to Iowa and wisconsin and I think the U has a ton of opportunity to appeal to kids outside of the state in ways that highlight just how “cool” of a place it is.

For what it’s worth, it’s slowly changing in Chicago. I see a lot more gopher gear than five years ago.

If we want to talk bad about the U, let’s talk about how absolutely horses__t the online ticket app/system is. What a F’ing joke.l
You realize it's not the U's app, right? I haven't had an issue. Download my tickets at home in the morning to Google wallet. Easy.

Is that advertising even about recruiting?

There’s lots of different advertisements….

Top Bottom