UNLV's "penalty" for leading scorer

SelectionSunday

Reaction score
Generally speaking, I don't like to pass judgment on how schools hand out discipline because on-court & off-court issues can happen to any school at any time. No school is immune, as the University of Minnesota basketball program found out last season, and each case is unique.

However, I must chuckle at UNLV's brand of justice, and it should be noted that I like Lon Kruger. (now read this link)

http://www.sportingnews.com/ncaa-ba...ard-willis-suspended-for-at-least-three-games

Quite interestingly, if Willis' 3-game suspension started at the beginning of the regular season instead of with the two meaningless exhibition games, the final game of his suspension would be the Rebels' home game vs. Wisconsin. Hmmmmmmm. I'm guessing UNLV figures it'll be able to handle UC-Riverside (picked to finish near the bottom of the Big West) in its season opener without Willis, but Wisconsin maybe not so much.

Generally speaking, I don't like to pass judgment on how schools hand out discipline because on-court & off-court issues can happen to any school at any time. No school is immune, as the University of Minnesota basketball program found out last season, and each case is unique.

However, I must chuckle at UNLV's brand of justice, and it should be noted that I like Lon Kruger. (now read this link)

http://www.sportingnews.com/ncaa-ba...ard-willis-suspended-for-at-least-three-games

Quite interestingly, if Willis' 3-game suspension started at the beginning of the regular season instead of with the two meaningless exhibition games, the final game of his suspension would be the Rebels' home game vs. Wisconsin. Hmmmmmmm. I'm guessing UNLV figures it'll be able to handle UC-Riverside (picked to finish near the bottom of the Big West) in its season opener without Willis, but Wisconsin maybe not so much.

Happens more often than you might think. UConn star guard Ben Gordon had similar events occur prior to 2004 season (I think it was). Calhoun slapped him on the wrist and he played. UConn won NCAA title that season as a result.

Thanks oh wise one, I wasn't aware "it happens more than I might think."

Jobs are at stake...

This is a tricky area. Typically, it is best if the decisions are not in the hands of the coaches. Former UVa coach, Jeff Jones (now head coach at American U.) was fired because of a poor record. He lost two quality frosh players when they were kicked out of school for shoplifting. Then he kicked Courtney Alexander off the team (transferred to Fresno State and Jerry Tarkanian) for that same domestic violence issue. Just three seasons after reaching the Elite 8, Jones UVa team was in shambles and he was out of a job. I can understand how coaches are unwilling to mete out sanctions that affect their teams.

Top Bottom