UNLV vs Northern Arizona

Reaction score
Arizona beat Northern Arizona 59-7. UNLV travels to Flagstaff next week. It might give us some indication how good, or bad UNLV is.
Of note. Vandenberg of Iowa had a horrible game and the Hawks were lucky they beat Kills former team. Looking at Western Michigan I think they're more beatable then I first thought. Not bad defense, but the offense is putrid.
Syracuse can pass the football ( 65 attempts ) they've 3 very good WR's and a QB that I wish was wearing maroon and gold. Northwestern won with a game ending drive behind a reserve QB. Neither team can stop anybody. 83 combined points.
Becky and UNI. There coach said they would still be playing if the Becky DT hadn't blocked the pass. They had a receiver wide open on a seam route.
Becky has a weak secondary and the don't put much pressure on the QB.
Summary: we beat Western Michigan. Syracuse is a push. If we beat them, it will be a shootout. After watching Iowa, I'm liking our chances. I think Vandenberg is skittish and at times hears footsteps. Iowa has I good WR and the RB's are average compared to Coker. If Gray is on and we can control Ball, we'll give them a game.
Didn't see Purdue play against Eastern Kentucky, but I guess they put up 49 points
on them. Bottom line. 3 winnable games in Iowa, Northwestern, and I'll say Purdue without seeing them.

It was actually ASU that beat NAU but yes your point still stands.

Not a shocker. I thought it would be really close. UNLV is terrible. Northern Arizona isn't a great team, but they aren't Savannah State. Probably in the North Dakota range.

I do. I'd like to see our non-conference opponents do well to make Gopher victories more meaningful. I'd love to see UNLV as a top 25 team so we can say we beat them on their field. It won't happen, of course, but it'd be nice.

2-0 is great but the caliber of opponent has been bad to date. Next two weeks will show just how much if any progress has been made.

2-0 is great but the caliber of opponent has been bad to date. Next two weeks will show just how much if any progress has been made.

Don't be a Debbie Downer. We needed to route somebody...it's been a long time since thats happened. It was a solid victory.

Don't be a Debbie Downer. We needed to route somebody...it's been a long time since thats happened. It was a solid victory.

Come on Parski, MNVCGUY makes a great point. Take last year as an example. They faced one of the best teams in the country and came a couple of plays away from beating them. We knew after the USC game that the Gophers would have one of the best defenses in the country. Why if Gray stayed healthy they had a chance to make a New Year's Day Bowl. Even if he got hurt again Max was ready to play at a very high level. Then after the NMSU game we knew that Brewster had left them no talent. Nearly 60% of the team would flunk out of school and Kill wouldn't be healthy enough to finish the season, let alone be able to coach them into another year.

Uh, wait a minute.

Yeah Parski, I see your point. :eek:

The Gophers were 3-9 last year. A win is a win no matter how they can get it. The fact is the Gophers lost to teams worse than UNLV last year. Let's face it the Gophers still are not a good team but it appears they are improving. Until they are there a win is all that matters. Not how pretty or ugly it is. The fact that the Gophers showed the testicular fortitude to beat UNLV despite committing numerous mistakes is an improvement in itself.

The Gophers were 3-9 last year. A win is a win no matter how they can get it. The fact is the Gophers lost to teams worse than UNLV last year. Let's face it the Gophers still are not a good team but it appears they are improving. Until they are there a win is all that matters. Not how pretty or ugly it is. The fact that the Gophers showed the testicular fortitude to beat UNLV despite committing numerous mistakes is an improvement in itself.
Don't get me wrong. I am thrilled we are sitting at 2-0, winning is great no matter who the opponent is. I am also cautiously optimistic that things are heading in the right direction. That being said it will be interesting to see how the team stacks up against a good opponent because to date we have had a nail biter with a bad FBS team and have blown out a very average FCS team. But yeah after 3-9 and the struggles in seasons prior to this 2-0 is still a great way to start the season. If we are 4-0 when the BIG season starts then it will get really fun around here.

We're better than we were last year at this point.

But we're not very good.

If for some reason we don't win the Big Ten, we better hope UNLV wins some games...could be the difference between a BCS at large bid or stuck in the Cap One or Outback bowl.

Progress has been made. We would have struggled with UNH the first part of last year, never mind beating them by 37 points. This thread is borderline ridiculous, who can't be happy with how we've played and the fact that we are 2-0 for the first time in a while.

Don't look now but we are 4-1 in our last 5 home games.

Top Bottom