UNLV opener tidbits

Ogee Ogilthorpe

Tattooed Millionaire
Reaction score
Thought it was worth firing up a thread to periodically add a few things as they come up regarding the opening opponent.

>> An article in the LV-Review Journal the other day says that no team in the COUNTRY returns more starters than UNLV. Not one. They may not be talented, but they will at least be experienced.

>> I didn't go through the entire thread regarding TV coverage for the game os apologies if this has been mentioned but the LVRJ is reporting today that the game WILL in fact be aired on the BT Network.

>> Other than that, mostly a lot of comments and columns saying that Hauck is obviously on the hottest of seats, after winning just TWO games in each of his 3 seasons so far, on his way to going 6-32. Hauck has also never won a road game in his time at UNLV. Their consecutive road loss string goes back WELL beyond Hauck's tenure (I forget the number, but it's a LOOOONG time).

>> One last thing; Apparently UNLV didn't start fall camp until today, well after the Gophers have gotten in a number of practices.

UNLV's last road win: 10/24/2009, 34-17 W @ New Mexico (22-game losing streak)
UNLV's last win over an AQ opponent: 9/20/2008, 34-31 vs. Iowa St. (7-game losing streak)

UNLV's last win over an AQ opponent: 9/20/2008, 34-31 vs. Iowa St. (7-game losing streak)

Hauck's seat is definitely hot. The rumor was that the president (Neil Smatresk) wanted to fire him at the end of last season, but the AD (Jim Livengood) refused. Livengood then resigned unexpectedly a short while later after apparently again clashing with Smatresk. They brought in an interim AD (Tina Kunzer Murphy) who has slashed Athletic Department salaries and appears to have been given the power to fire support staffers, supposedly to give the new AD (when hired) a clean slate. It would not surprise me to see her fire coaches too, and Hauck would be the first to go.

Do I detect a little dissension at UNLV?

Hauck's seat is definitely hot. The rumor was that the president (Neil Smatresk) wanted to fire him at the end of last season, but the AD (Jim Livengood) refused. Livengood then resigned unexpectedly a short while later after apparently again clashing with Smatresk. They brought in an interim AD (Tina Kunzer Murphy) who has slashed Athletic Department salaries and appears to have been given the power to fire support staffers, supposedly to give the new AD (when hired) a clean slate. It would not surprise me to see her fire coaches too, and Hauck would be the first to go.

Do I detect a little dissension at UNLV?

Dengue would know a lot more about this than myself, but Livengood's departure was pretty sudden, to say the least. The only local radio I caught at the time was a day or so after when Livengood was already trying to do damage control, saying it was time, had a good run, etc. (if I'm not mistaken anyway). Since then, I hadn't followed the situation and didn't even know they had an interim AD in place (a female, no less!!) until I read it in the Rebel article about Hauck the other day.

It's really too bad about Hauck. I like him, he seems alright and he's been successful before. Other than being TOUGH to win in football at UNLV, his biggest failing seems to be exactly what Brewster was guilty of; too much changing of the schemes and coordinators. For someone to win at UNLV, they'll have to do it the hard way (but right way); take your lumps early and plan for the long haul by redshirting young players, evening out the classes, using JUCO's sparingly, etc. Sounds familiar....

No continuity = Bye-bye

Hauck signed 22 kids last Feb. Interesting that 9 of those are JC transfers. None of them over 2 stars and only one had muiltiple offers from MAC type schools and the Mountain West. He was on Fox 5 West with about a 5 minute interview and he was pretty mellow. Almost to the point that he knows he has to do a " Helen Keller " this year to save his job.

I'd hate to mess up those two streaks. I hope our boys hit the ground running, and don't let their foot off the gas.

Hauck signed 22 kids last Feb. Interesting that 9 of those are JC transfers. None of them over 2 stars and only one had muiltiple offers from MAC type schools and the Mountain West. He was on Fox 5 West with about a 5 minute interview and he was pretty mellow. Almost to the point that he knows he has to do a " Helen Keller " this year to save his job.

I will forever remember him for the profanity laced tirade he had, on camera, during the Gopher game last year. That was just phenomenal. It didn't take someone hearing impaired to be able to read those lips.

i handicapped that game for a weeks and nailed the score at 13-10 gophs.....then it went into overtime. quit most of my predictions for 2012 rt then.

Dengue would know a lot more about this than myself, but Livengood's departure was pretty sudden, to say the least. The only local radio I caught at the time was a day or so after when Livengood was already trying to do damage control, saying it was time, had a good run, etc. (if I'm not mistaken anyway). Since then, I hadn't followed the situation and didn't even know they had an interim AD in place (a female, no less!!) until I read it in the Rebel article about Hauck the other day.
Ogee, can't say that I know that much. Hauck's original coordinators (Paulson and Phenis (sp)) were carryovers from Montana. I understand that they were both in over their heads and he demoted them to position coaches after his 2nd year. I heard that the coordinators last year were OK, but were used as scapegoats for the poor season. I had 2 defensive players in class last spring and they were initially highly disappointed that Hauck had named his brother as d-coord. Then they went through spring practice with him and loved the guy. Said that he is a "teacher and not a yeller", which is apparently unlike his older brother (the head coach). I have not heard anything about Rosenbach as O-coord. So yes, there has been a lot of changing of coordinators. I have not heard or read much about the shake-ups that the new AD called for. I know that employees had until last Monday (Aug 5) to decide if they would take their pay-cuts or leave. I could call a couple of guys I know in athletics but do not know either of them all that well, and think that it would be poor form to ask them what's going on. I did bump into one associate AD last month in the student union (before the shake-up) and he asked if I was going home to Minn for the game, I told him I was. He then said that me and my family could attend the game as his "guest" and he would provide me with free tix. I think that he might be gone, and I'll be paying for my tickets, damn. Go Gophers! Go Rebs! http://www.reviewjournal.com/column...coordinator-brings-nfl-clout-family-ties-unlv

Does anyone have UNLV's current depth chart? I went searching on rebel-net.com to see what I could find but not much information there.

Top Bottom