Unlimited transfer rule is made permanent

short ornery norwegian

Reaction score
the Unlimited transfer rule is here to stay. from The Athletic:

The U.S. Department of Justice reached a settlement with the NCAA that will permanently bar the organization from restricting athletes’ transfer eligibility, it was announced Thursday.

The settlement resolves a federal antitrust lawsuit filed by a coalition of states last December challenging the NCAA’s requirement that athletes who transfer more than once must sit out a year of competition. U.S. District Court Judge John Preston Bailey in West Virginia issued a preliminary injunction at the time that banned the NCAA from enforcing its Transfer Eligibility Rule. The DOJ joined the suit in January.

A consent decree announced Thursday makes that policy change permanent, allowing athletes to transfer an unlimited number of times without penalty. It also requires the NCAA to restore a year of eligibility for current athletes who missed a year of competition since 2019-20 due to the old policy.
As required by the Tunney Act, a 60-day public comment period will begin, after which the court may enter the settlement as final judgment.

I guess nobody expected anything different but now that the continuing policy is official at least any ambiguity is removed for the future.

So I think a fair response to this rule is to ensure all scholarships are annual. You are never guaranteed a spot on next year's team. That way both the athlete and the school can sever the relationship at any time.
I agree, definitely what we need is more chaos right now. Sign me up. Let's also fire and rehire the coach every year so no schools are stuck with huge buyouts.

I think this was inevitable as the NCAA is now trying to drastically reduce the amount of time they are spending in court. Plus with the class action lawsuit settlement they really don't have the money to spend. This I think also goes to efforts to show Congress they aren't fighting the process anymore as they push for Antitrust status which is going to be critical if they are going to survive in this environment.

Can someone smarter than me explain how pro leagues can have rules limiting team salaries and limiting free agency but it seems the NCAA can't? Is it because they usually have agreements with the player unions?

Can someone smarter than me explain how pro leagues can have rules limiting team salaries and limiting free agency but it seems the NCAA can't? Is it because they usually have agreements with the player unions?
Collectively bargained contracts. Which I don't think technically you need a union for, but obviously at that point it just makes sense to make a union.

So I think a fair response to this rule is to ensure all scholarships are annual. You are never guaranteed a spot on next year's team. That way both the athlete and the school can sever the relationship at any time.

This.

These are 18-22 year old dudes, many of whom that don't have a great support system to guide them. There will be a number of guys who transfer all around, with credits that don't transfer from school to school who will end up going to college for 4+ years and no degree to show for it.

The ones will all the money (the conferences/schools/coaches) are now at a disadvantage for the first time. While at first blush, the bigger schools probably liked the free transfer rule, as they could go and use the "lesser" teams as farm teams. However, even they have to put in so much effort to maintain a roster and keep their own guys that I would imagine the vast majority of coaches/schools want change. Those that have power don't like to give it up, and I would expect contracts and/or other means to hold on to players longer term coming down the road. Maybe that means separating CBB/CFB from the NCAA and the players forming a collective bargaining contract.

In general, non-compete clauses are pretty much over in the US. This isn't a surprise.

It's weird to me that the DOJ/FTC are treating playing time exactly like they would a job. No one is saying a player who transfers cannot be on scholarship, they are saying that have to sit out a year of playing time. Players can still collect massive NIL opportunities while not playing much. Almost every blue-chip FR QC gets massive NIL opportunities.

There is a massive danger in treating playing time like it's employment. What happens 3 years from now if player A gets benched for a reason they don't think is fair? Could they sue the coach? The school?

In general, non-compete clauses are pretty much over in the US. This isn't a surprise.

It's weird to me that the DOJ/FTC are treating playing time exactly like they would a job. No one is saying a player who transfers cannot be on scholarship, they are saying that have to sit out a year of playing time. Players can still collect massive NIL opportunities while not playing much. Almost every blue-chip FR QC gets massive NIL opportunities.

There is a massive danger in treating playing time like it's employment. What happens 3 years from now if player A gets benched for a reason they don't think is fair? Could they sue the coach? The school?
I'm assuming the thought is that by having to sit out they can't showcase their skills which then could open the door for more NIL opportunities. This would come into play more with the NIL as it is intended to be (actual endorsement opportunities).

So basically at this point it is foolish to get attached to any player on your roster or look to the future at all. Just see what the roster looks like at the start of the season and assume it is going to look quite a bit different the following year.

Already getting ridiculous where there are players on their 3rd or 4th school. Looks like that will just become more common.

Given (my understanding) this all stems from an antitrust lawsuit concerning transfer restrictions affecting a player’s ability to earn NIL how then can portal windows be enforced? Players can transfer within the season, enroll for spring semester?

I’m just trying to find the logic behind this ruling. Maybe too much to ask?

Given (my understanding) this all stems from an antitrust lawsuit concerning transfer restrictions affecting a player’s ability to earn NIL how then can portal windows be enforced? Players can transfer within the season, enroll for spring semester?

I’m just trying to find the logic behind this ruling. Maybe too much to ask?
In season transfers with immediate eligibility will probably be one of the next court battles that happens.

At this point it feels as likely to happen as anything. We now have unrestricted free agency for every player every season. May as well have them start moving around in season as well.

In season transfers with immediate eligibility will probably be one of the next court battles that happens.

Aren't scholarships guaranteed for a year? I assume most coaches fill all scholarships (including those given to walk-ons for the year). If that's the case, giving a scholarship to a player in midseason would require taking one away from someone else. I don't think this would be workable.

Aren't scholarships guaranteed for a year? I assume most coaches fill all scholarships (including those given to walk-ons for the year). If that's the case, giving a scholarship to a player in midseason would require taking one away from someone else. I don't think this would be workable.
Yeah, that portion of the system would also adjust. Essentially, scholarships and eligibility will be treated like "at will" employment. If a player becomes available and you want that player, just cut a player from your team.

Hell, you could argue scholarship limits are a restraint on trade.

On the plus side...Gopher fans will no longer have to worry about whether the NCAA will grant or deny a waiver to players wanting to transfer to Minnesota.

So basically at this point it is foolish to get attached to any player on your roster or look to the future at all. Just see what the roster looks like at the start of the season and assume it is going to look quite a bit different the following year.

Already getting ridiculous where there are players on their 3rd or 4th school. Looks like that will just become more common.
I echo this. I used to follow recruiting with excitement; now I hardly care, knowing the majority of top players just chase the NIL bucks and rarely stay at the same school for the entirety of their college years.

Sorry but right now my feelings for Gopher athletics is similar to my feelings for the Twins or Vikings, really don’t give a sxxx what happens. But then maybe I have had one to many Busch Lites.

I thought the student received a full 4 year college education guaranteed you can't take away. Some coaches would try to run players off. Maybe that can change.

Now a school can also just yank the NIL and they will probably leave for something elsewhere.

These are 18-22 year old dudes, many of whom that don't have a great support system to guide them. There will be a number of guys who transfer all around, with credits that don't transfer from school to school who will end up going to college for 4+ years and no degree to show for it.

The ones will all the money (the conferences/schools/coaches) are now at a disadvantage for the first time. While at first blush, the bigger schools probably liked the free transfer rule, as they could go and use the "lesser" teams as farm teams. However, even they have to put in so much effort to maintain a roster and keep their own guys that I would imagine the vast majority of coaches/schools want change. Those that have power don't like to give it up, and I would expect contracts and/or other means to hold on to players longer term coming down the road. Maybe that means separating CBB/CFB from the NCAA and the players forming a collective bargaining contract.
PJ Fleck is aggressively recruiting in-state student-athletes who will stay for four years with the program. That is smart for Gopher Football to provide some stability.

IMHO, there will be more losers than winners. They wanted NIL which is a double-edged sword.

I echo this. I used to follow recruiting with excitement; now I hardly care, knowing the majority of top players just chase the NIL bucks and rarely stay at the same school for the entirety of their college years.
It’s truly more about the name on the back of the journey than the front 🥲

The NFL and others are no different than other large corporations. The players, coaches and others are employees, some of who are unionized. The draft is really a hiring event and to maintain parity and consistent competition, they have salary caps.
In the end, players involved with the NCAA are first students.....for now and then participants. Won't be long, it seems, that the student piece could go away.

Four thoughts from an economics viewpoint.

1. Economic forces cannot be avoided. They can be embraced, suppressed or ignored.

An enormous amount of money is involved. Billions. The economic forces are real and big.

2. What is the best way to approach the economics of that enormous amount of money? Embrace, suppress or ignore?

Maybe the players need some of the money. What happens if that is suppressed? Under the table? Is that what people want, under the table?

3. The traditional student school experience. That is real too. These are colleges. This is an NCAA collegiate athletic sport like gymnastics and wrestling.

What does this mean for NCAA and students? What should be done or not done?

4. Finally, legislation can intervene. Courts are taking these actions because legislation does not exist.

Be careful about getting politicians involved. Maybe courts are the best way to resolve that.

Or maybe Congress is.

Why would a scholarship matter? Since it's basically pay to play, a team could literally pay a guy a couple hundred grand to join a team for the playoffs.

And this will happen, barring any changes, in football or hoops.

as far as I know, the individual schools still have the right to determine eligibility. as long as the players are still considered student-athletes, then the players have to meet academic criteria to become eligible and remain eligible.

ergo, it would be very difficult if not impossible for a player to transfer midway through a season and immediately become academically eligible at the new school.

I get it. all the changes are difficult to cope with, and it seems like anarchy. but there are still some rules and some structure in major college sports. it's not total chaos, yet.

times change. rules change. when I was in High School, Freshmen were ineligible to play Varsity sports in college. Lew Alcindor (later Kareen Abdul-Jabbar) had to sit out his FR year at UCLA. Oh - dunking was also illegal in college hoops at the time. those rules changed. life went on.

here are some quotes from 1972 when FR were allowed to play college football and basketball:

When asked about the rule change, Rutgers football coach John Bateman told the media, “If freshmen can play, you don't have a very good program.” Chuck Neinas, commissioner of the Big Eight Conference (which eventually became the Big 12 Conference), said, “Our football coaches are unanimously against freshman on varsity teams."

Missouri athletic director Sparky Stalcup told the Kansas City Star that freshmen eligibility in basketball and football would be "a whole new ballgame."

"If the other major conferences do it, we'll have to." he said. "It's a recruiting gimmick."

as far as I know, the individual schools still have the right to determine eligibility. as long as the players are still considered student-athletes, then the players have to meet academic criteria to become eligible and remain eligible.

ergo, it would be very difficult if not impossible for a player to transfer midway through a season and immediately become academically eligible at the new school.

I get it. all the changes are difficult to cope with, and it seems like anarchy. but there are still some rules and some structure in major college sports. it's not total chaos, yet.

times change. rules change. when I was in High School, Freshmen were ineligible to play Varsity sports in college. Lew Alcindor (later Kareen Abdul-Jabbar) had to sit out his FR year at UCLA. Oh - dunking was also illegal in college hoops at the time. those rules changed. life went on.

here are some quotes from 1972 when FR were allowed to play college football and basketball:

When asked about the rule change, Rutgers football coach John Bateman told the media, “If freshmen can play, you don't have a very good program.” Chuck Neinas, commissioner of the Big Eight Conference (which eventually became the Big 12 Conference), said, “Our football coaches are unanimously against freshman on varsity teams."

Missouri athletic director Sparky Stalcup told the Kansas City Star that freshmen eligibility in basketball and football would be "a whole new ballgame."

"If the other major conferences do it, we'll have to." he said. "It's a recruiting gimmick."

I believe what some are envisioning is transfer players might enroll for spring semester. As far as I know there is no rule against any student utilizing dual enrollment, ie enrollment at two universities simultaneously. So, hypothetically sometime in late fall, December might a student athlete at school A technically enroll, walk-on at School B while quitting the team, finishing up final exams at School A (or just dropping classes because hey, dolla billz). Someone more skilled in college admissions and enrollment will need to comment if that’s even feasible given enrollment calendars, accelerated admittance etc. I think things can be made to happen if someone important needs to make them happen (at sports schools).

Given the restraint of trade arguments I don’t believe there would be justification for barring a team in dire need of a RB or QB for their CFP run from raiding another roster throwing out feelers and “trade bait” NIL bribes late in the season or during bowl season..

Regarding the freshmen not being ready for playing yeah that is a wierd one to object to. The NFL and the NFLPA somehow get away with blatant restraint of trade due to peculiarities of the law, waved into existence by the courts or rarely, legislators

For the sports like hockey and basketball, that straddle the two semesters, does this mean that a star player on a team that as a disappointing start to the season transfer to a contender at the semester break?

Gosh, watching MIAC college football games is an attractive alternative for less money and parking headaches. Oh, wait. D III schools can offer NIL payments too.

Sorry but right now my feelings for Gopher athletics is similar to my feelings for the Twins or Vikings, really don’t give a sxxx what happens. But then maybe I have had one to many Busch Lites.
Well it helps if you actually are a Gopher Fan ;)

Top Bottom