Unknown Talent out of the Metro?

wolvesfan23

Reaction score
There is the Mississippi 8 conference which is Princeton,Buffalo,Zimmerman,Monticello,Becker,Rogers and Saint Michael.

These are some hidden gems in that conference.

Kwaku Amoah-RB-Saint Michael: He may be undersized but he is quick and has legs like tree trunks he could be a very explosive kick returner. He earned all-conference and all section honors while leading his team to state semi finals losing to Mankato.

Johnny Benson-QB-Becker: He has been starting since he has been a freshmen for a football team lead by Shane Potter won state two years in a row before he stepped in. He is grandson of the winning est football coach in college history John Galiardi who coached at Saint Johns in Collegville,MN. Johnny will be going into his JR year next year

Daniel Reil-OL/DL-Buffalo: He is a big kid measuring up at 6'5" 280lbs. He will definitely be moving the chains next year. He has been seen down at Gophers practices and participated in Tim Brewsters camp. His team Buffalo with their great senior leadership won the conference and finished with a final record of 9-2. He plays opposite Ben Henson who is another great tackle for Buffalo look for the Bison to wear down opponents with there line.

There are many others too. Former M8 Conference players continuing to there college football careers
Theo Giple-Saint Cloud State
Phillip Klaphakke-Saint Cloud State
Bruce Manz-University South Dakota
Brooks Beilke-Western Michigan (Baseball)
Brandon Puffer-Minnesota Southwest State
-Look into this conference!

-Should Brew try to sign any of these guys?

The furthest west they recruit is 494. Beau Allen at Minnetonka would be an excellent addition. We need at least one stout DT each year. If you are outside of the metro, good luck. The Wright County Conference is going to be one tough conference with Hutchinson joining the mix. Waconia is the second comming of Eden Praire, they are a couple years aways but look out. The Power is Glencoe-Silver Lake and they are talking of annexing McLeod West. Willie was a late scholarship, Hoese walked on. Litchfield has division 1 talent, remember John Carlson. Delano, the home Nate Triplett.

Ouside the Wright I like the Northfield Football. And I would keep an eye on Lakeville South. This is Larry's third year down there. If Lakeville had not split, Cretin and Eden Praire would have had all they could handle. Its spring but I will have my nose to the turf out west, and if there is another Flying Dutchman, you will here it here.

As a state we need to do a better job at identifying these out state guys. A great walk on program is a huge benefit. Most of these out state kids aren't really being given the opportunity, by that I mean some adult person of consequence sitting down with them and really explaining what being a walk on at D1 can mean compared to a lower level.

I would argue most of these kids never really are given the info to make the choice, to really consider it. Most are shuffled off to one of the Daks or state colleges automatically. Even two years at a D1 school, working with top coaches in a top program, can be huge for a kid in his life, even if he ultimately transfers, or quits to focus on academics.

Good work Husker and wolvesfan23

Tyson Swaggert played for the U and he was from Buffalo,MN. Trey Potter from Becker played for the U. Kyle Dykstra is walking on and he is from Princeton. I think really none of the schools out in the boondocks get recognition unless they look like the next Adam Weber, Willie VanDesteeg or Eric Decker. These kids get over looked. That is why they have to take recruiting into there own hands and send out film, call coaches, attend camp and show up to practices those only increase your chance of a spot as a Gopher. Minnesota should try to win a championship with Minnesota boys worry about Florida later. Lineman are bred in this great state. We have great talent we just have to turn over the rock and see whats under it

The furthest west they recruit is 494. Beau Allen at Minnetonka would be an excellent addition. We need at least one stout DT each year. If you are outside of the metro, good luck. The Wright County Conference is going to be one tough conference with Hutchinson joining the mix. Waconia is the second comming of Eden Praire, they are a couple years aways but look out. The Power is Glencoe-Silver Lake and they are talking of annexing McLeod West. Willie was a late scholarship, Hoese walked on. Litchfield has division 1 talent, remember John Carlson. Delano, the home Nate Triplett.

Ouside the Wright I like the Northfield Football. And I would keep an eye on Lakeville South. This is Larry's third year down there. If Lakeville had not split, Cretin and Eden Praire would have had all they could handle. Its spring but I will have my nose to the turf out west, and if there is another Flying Dutchman, you will here it here.

There is great talent in Wright County. Who the Gophers missed out on was big Lyndon Murtha out of Hutchinson,MN (McLeod) who played for the Huskers and got drafted by the Lions recently. He shut VanDesteeg down in the HS game I watched.

Certainly, a lot of talent is produced outside of the Metro area. I am not an expert on talent evaluation, but I think it would be rather difficult to determine whether or not someone has D1 potential if the level of competition around them is much weaker than other areas of the state. Camps are a great way to get these kids into the fold. Although, I disagree with the "use Minnesota kids" philosophy. I want the best football players we can get, period. I do not care about their geographic origin.

I think the system is in place for kids who make the decision to check it out. But it's the ones out there that just don't know, and their coaches are programmed to push them elsewhere that I think we miss out on. they are more likely to send them east and west rather than to the metro to check out the next step.

That may be true. I do not necessarily agree that it is better for a player to walk-on at the U than go elsewhere with their talents. It is hard to argue with a free ride or the possibility of going to an elite academic institution. Outside of those circumstances, though, the U may be the best option.

Nate Swift, Hutchinson, was not recruited by the U. He only ended up Nebraska's second leading career receiver. Brewster and company made a visit to all MN high schools the first year but it sounds as if they lost their road maps for outstate. A friend from Nebraska said when Callahan was coach there he had more interest in Rivals or Scout stars than developing talent. Look where it got him. It's true that most MN kids are not as far along as say Texas or Florida but they can and will catch up with proper coaching and training. It all depends on if a coaching staff has the patience to develop them.
________
Yamaha wr426

Husker, in your opinion did Brewster just pay lip service to outstate coaches with his "if there's a kid out there in MN we'll find them?"
________
JAGUAR XK

I cannot remember if Josh Campion committed during Mason's tenure, but he truly wanted to be a Gopher no matter who the coach was. That's outstate recruiting. I think Brewster has done more than any coach in my memory to close the borders and make every recruit welcome at Minnesota. Its a culture change that may take 10 years of concerted Coach Brewster to change the perceptiion that if you are not in a zip code 55 miles from campus we cann't believe you can make it. And by the same token, you will know it will change when every kid in the state wants to play for The U.

My argument is that all the inner city kids get the looks and outside of the metro kids aren't evaluated as well. Josh Campion wasn't looked at because he was at the Gophers football camp and raised some eye brows. Same with Nick Rengel from Sartell. Most of the schools are 4A-5A so it is competition not just 9 man football. You have Saint Cloud Tech. they have players up there too. As i went into the Gophers football office it said recruit 24/7 365. If they are doing that much they should be looking at the talent we have here. Thats not my Philosophy that is Brews "Win Championships with Minnesota players" he said that at camp.

No offense to anyone here, and I know there have been some good players that came from outstate schoools, but there is a reason coaches recruit more kids from big schools. They have better players and more players too. If an outstate kid is good enough they will usually get the chance to play college football. I know you don't like it but Brewster has to spend most of his time recruiting with bigger schools and better players. I don't think anyone can question the effort Brewster puts into recruiting.
________
Ford airport (dearborn)

No offense to anyone here, and I know there have been some good players that came from outstate schoools, but there is a reason coaches recruit more kids from big schools. They have better players and more players too. If an outstate kid is good enough they will usually get the chance to play college football. I know you don't like it but Brewster has to spend most of his time recruiting with bigger schools and better players. I don't think anyone can question the effort Brewster puts into recruiting.

thats how the hidden gems slip away. Look at Nate Swift and Lydon Murtha (Hutchinson) going to Nebraska. They would have been a great addition.

While I agree that there are hidden gems that come from outstate schools and those would be great additions, I could name plenty of guys from bigger schools who are great players and we could miss out on if we don't recruit the big schools enough. Some guys are going to slip away and turn into great players, it happens, but there is no arguing that big schools produce better players.

By the way, didn't we go after Murtha pretty hard? If I remember correctly he was committed to us and later backed out of it and went to Nebraska.
________
Full Melt Hash

thats how the hidden gems slip away. Look at Nate Swift and Lydon Murtha (Hutchinson) going to Nebraska. They would have been a great addition.

Not quite sure what the point is but Murtha was recruited by Mason. You forget the Deja Vu incident? In 2008, there were four kids from Minnesota that committed to Minnesota. One was outside the metro area. In 2009, there were six Minnesota commits. Two were from out state. Is your point that we don't recruit enough in Minnesota or just out state? Who were the obvious kids we missed in '08 and '09?

If your suggestion is that the coaching staff spent the bulk of their time combing out state Minnesota and ignoring Texas (or where ever), I don't think they will be around too long.

Didn't the NCAA toughen up on in school visits, with relation to when they could visit. Seems it really affected Brews in-state strategy.

And I don't thing every kid should walk on, but every talented kid should be exposed in a serious way to the possibility. The crime, and I think the original point if I have it right, is that the out state kids are being overlooked, not even recognized in many situation. There is a huge potential of a great walk on program, if we can change the culture outstate to see the U as the pinnacle and the first goal of one's high school career. It needs to be the place every kid aspires to play at.

I don't have a problem if a kid makes another choice, I do have a problem if a kid never gets the chance.

Murtha was heavily recruited by Minnesota. He got an early offer from Mason. Murtha was a 4 star recruit according to rivals so its not like nobody knew about him. Unfortunately, he chose Nebraska over Minnesota but oh well.

Swift and Murtha were hardly hidden gems that were overlooked. Murtha was an Army All-American that had committed to Minnesota before switching his decision. And for Swift, while he didn't have a Gopher offer when he committed to Nebraska, but he committed just before he was scheduled to attend the Gopher camp, likely would have been offered by Minnesota if he'd kept recruiting open, and was the #4 player in the state.

I'd bet the staff is aware of the players who have a chance to play at the next level, but the fact is it's unlikely there's that many players from this conference that are high D-1 prospects. Thankfully the coaches don't overrate the small conference talent like a lot of fans do, that's how you wind up with small conference hidden gems who aren't D-1A caliber players. Look at Shane Potter and Jimmy Thompson.

It's been said for kids to get to camp. There is a difference between skills camp and a one day evaluation camp. How many outstate kids get an invite for the one day evaluation camp?
________
Babi mac break away

i talked to Coach Ellis who use to be the vikings strength and conditioning coordinator and he said 300 people get invited to the 3 day $300 dollar camps and sometimes college coaches aren't even there just high school coaches babysitting you. The one day $40-50 Dollar camp invite or junior day is where they bring all the horses in and evaluate you with other college coaches. 2 different types. Money makers and Talent eval. I think for kids in smaller schools and stuff need to market there selves by filling out online questionnaires, emailing coaches and send film you have to expose your self if you want any chance. Something has to separate you from the other 300 to get a look

But if a kid dominates in Class A, AA or AAA how does a he get a chance to show what he can do against a AAAA or AAAAA kid if he doesn't get an invite to the one day evaluation camp? Skills camps are just that, skills camps, not much one on one and doesn't have the intensity of a evaluation camp I would guess.
________

When considering talent, we treat the lower classes as if they are minor leagues,like it they were any good they would have progressed to a higher class. A kid lives where he lives.

It's legit to argue it's more likely to find top talent in a bigger school as they are drawing from a bigger population, and they face better talent. It's also legit to argue that it's easier to evaluate talent from a higher class as they face stronger conpetition. But all that says is that a kid from a higher class is more proven, perhaps more refined. All too often I think we claim that a kid from a higher class is better. The truth is we don't know how good the outstate kid is.

The effort should be on finding out more about the kid and opening the door, not shutting him out because of the class he plays in, and where he lives. We have a role in that as gopher fans.

I wonder what can be done to close this info gap. I know the opp is there for a kid who reaches out for it, but I think we are underestimating the subtle power of the messages these kids are recieving. They will pretty much do what they think they should. And what they think they should, is the culmination of all these subtle messages. Advice will always be to protect the student and the integrity of the advice giver. Never to fascilitate a dream, never to explore the top end of an athletes potential, in other words one or two steps short of the top potential of the athlete. Which by def excludes the pinnacle: D1.

But if a kid dominates in Class A, AA or AAA how does a he get a chance to show what he can do against a AAAA or AAAAA kid if he doesn't get an invite to the one day evaluation camp? Skills camps are just that, skills camps, not much one on one and doesn't have the intensity of a evaluation camp I would guess.

The kid would have to make some phone calls and emails. Talk to coaches tell them his stats then ask if he can come out to camp then when they say yes which 100% of the time they will. If your good the Gophers will find you that is why they have the recruiting staff. If your overlooked because your at a small school. Then make some phone calls and set your self up to succeed, you can't just sit on the couch and wait for a invite to come to you

I cannot remember if Josh Campion committed during Mason's tenure, but he truly wanted to be a Gopher no matter who the coach was. That's outstate recruiting. I think Brewster has done more than any coach in my memory to close the borders and make every recruit welcome at Minnesota. Its a culture change that may take 10 years of concerted Coach Brewster to change the perceptiion that if you are not in a zip code 55 miles from campus we cann't believe you can make it. And by the same token, you will know it will change when every kid in the state wants to play for The U.

Brewster was the coach when Campion committed.

Not only do we have to build the outstate relationship up but we have to build the inner city relationships because many of these recruits were ignored for years too.

The kid would have to make some phone calls and emails. Talk to coaches tell them his stats then ask if he can come out to camp then when they say yes which 100% of the time they will. If your good the Gophers will find you that is why they have the recruiting staff. If your overlooked because your at a small school. Then make some phone calls and set your self up to succeed, you can't just sit on the couch and wait for a invite to come to you
I would guess not all schools are patient enough to develop a kid. Go out and find the schools that will develop you and don't let the internet posters get you down when you choose a school they don't like.
________
YENKO CAMARO

Yeah you just want to let coaches know you like their program and want to play for them. Make it clear. Also when you send film out put you name number house and cell, email, jersey number and color. also most important Gpa. Also enclose a letter showing how interested you are and the first play better blow them out of there chair because they are getting hundreds a day with letters MAKE YOURS STAND OUT!!!!

Top Bottom