Understanding Building a Team

Lack of NIL is a fatal flaw we hold. Do not understand how few people understand that.

Lack of NIL is a fatal flaw we hold. Do not understand how few people understand that.
It was shocking to me how the U appeared to be taken by surprise by NIL. Oh whoops, now we have to catch up! They hire a new coach with no experience in the toughest league to coach a bottom half team and then they hamstring the rookie with a delayed and cautious approach to NIL in the age of free agency. Our administration is disgusting.

It was shocking to me how the U appeared to be taken by surprise by NIL. Oh whoops, now we have to catch up! They hire a new coach with no experience in the toughest league to coach a bottom half team and then they hamstring the rookie with a delayed and cautious approach to NIL in the age of free agency. Our administration is disgusting.
The way they talk about it in a strange way - I am not sure they even get it yet.

This. I'm not saying go Garcia only at 5 but for 10 minutes a game with a JOJ or Betts type at 4, we would have an offensive advantage. This is why big ten teams struggle vs quicker teams in the tournament. I don't understand why this is complicated to understand
I said this all last year. For Garcia to cook, thus the gophers to score, he needs to play the 5. This allows him to pull bigger (slower) guys out to the perimeter where he has an advantage. They will either sag off (thus he will shoot), or they will guard him and he will use his mobility to get to the rim.

The team will need to learn how to rotate the weak side offensive players when Dawson is driving on the offside for east dump-off dunks, or they will need to put a shoot in that offside corner so that defender can’t continually just sag in and attempt to take a charge (the shooter in the corner will punish him and keep that defender home).

I think you have hammered this one bloody. We all know schools that have a mega donor can buy players. The rest have to establish small funds via fans and corporate solicitation.

Fleck has the same circumstances but recruits pretty well. It can be done.

I think you have hammered this one bloody. We all know schools that have a mega donor can buy players. The rest have to establish small funds via fans and corporate solicitation.

Really? How many 5 Star recruits?If we are going by recruiting services they appear to be similar. Remember PJ’s first seasons?

Really? How many 5 Star recruits?If we are going by recruiting services they appear to be similar. Remember PJ’s first seasons?
What do 5-star recruits have to do with anything? We weren't getting 5-stars before NIL. If we are losing out on recruits that we would normally get because of NIL that's one thing, but NIL isn't the top reason why were aren't competing at a high level. You keep mentioning NIL like every college is running like USC, Miami, or SEC/Big 12 schools. That's just not the case. Even what you see posted about NIL isn't accurate because players & companies don't have to report deals to the public.

What do 5-star recruits have to do with anything? We weren't getting 5-stars before NIL. If we are losing out on recruits that we would normally get because of NIL that's one thing, but NIL isn't the top reason why were aren't competing at a high level. You keep mentioning NIL like every college is running like USC, Miami, or SEC/Big 12 schools. That's just not the case. Even what you see posted about NIL isn't accurate because players & companies don't have to report deals to the public.
Excuses. Poor excuses.

Battle kind of said he really didn't want to play college basketball anymore but with the money out there he was going to pursue that. You don't think Henley was following the money trail.

Michigan lost Dickenson, you don't believe that has to do with NIL. Michigans big man recruit decommited a few days ago and was rumored to be heading to St Johns. You don't think Pitino isn't pulling in a fair amount of money to that program.

Carr stayed in school two more years, you don't think that had anything to do with money.

Dollar amounts being reported might be skewed but to say that NIL isn't affecting Gopher basketball and every other college basketball program is naive. It impacts most players, not only 5* guys that are heading to the NBA.

Battle kind of said he really didn't want to play college basketball anymore but with the money out there he was going to pursue that. You don't think Henley was following the money trail.

Michigan lost Dickenson, you don't believe that has to do with NIL. Michigans big man recruit decommited a few days ago and was rumored to be heading to St Johns. You don't think Pitino isn't pulling in a fair amount of money to that program.

Carr stayed in school two more years, you don't think that had anything to do with money.

Dollar amounts being reported might be skewed but to say that NIL isn't affecting Gopher basketball and every other college basketball program is naive. It impacts most players, not only 5* guys that are heading to the NBA.
Don't you think Michigan can compete with other schools with NIL? Carr staying two more years is not just because of NIL. He was on a competitive team that was won and getting paid. Texas was just in the Elite 8 and wasn't getting drafted if he left early. Using Michigan as an example of a school losing kids because of NIL doesn't make sense when they just got a transfer from UNC. Battle leaving here wasn't solely a NIL-based decision. His Big Ten experience has been finishing at the bottom for two straight years. Even as poorly as OSU performed last year, I would trust that they figure it out and there is a chance I can get paid. Seems like an intelligent decision on his part.

I'd be willing to bet per kid the football squad is getting more $$... Why?? Because p.j. has on the best stretch in a loooooooong time.... CBJ has to do one thing.... Win consistently... And the $$ will come... MN isn't the place where loosing is just bought out... You dig out and are then rewarded

I'd be willing to bet per kid the football squad is getting more $$... Why?? Because p.j. has on the best stretch in a loooooooong time.... CBJ has to do one thing.... Win consistently... And the $$ will come... MN isn't the place where loosing is just bought out... You dig out and are then rewarded
Where has BJ won at college basketball? Where?

Don't you think Michigan can compete with other schools with NIL? Carr staying two more years is not just because of NIL. He was on a competitive team that was won and getting paid. Texas was just in the Elite 8 and wasn't getting drafted if he left early. Using Michigan as an example of a school losing kids because of NIL doesn't make sense when they just got a transfer from UNC. Battle leaving here wasn't solely a NIL-based decision. His Big Ten experience has been finishing at the bottom for two straight years. Even as poorly as OSU performed last year, I would trust that they figure it out and there is a chance I can get paid. Seems like an intelligent decision on his part.
Seems like selective reasoning. There isn’t even a rumor of this out there.

It might be what you would do, but given multiple confirmed reports of NIL. and school considerations, your’s seems like the least likely reason.

And he picked Ohio State…. They may have potential, but….

Seems like selective reasoning. There isn’t even a rumor of this out there.

It might be what you would do, but given multiple confirmed reports of NIL. and school considerations, your’s seems like the least likely reason.

And he picked Ohio State…. They may have potential, but….
He was leaving no matter what. He got recognized for senior night. The school that he chose may have offered a good NIL package but he was leaving here regardless.

I hope this stimulates thought and reasoned conversation.

Once your pieces/players are in place you build it around your most productive player. In our situation that is Garcia. It will still be Garcia when the portal closes. You put Dawson in the best position at all times. Both offense and defense. You rest him and keep him from being double teamed. You do everything to keep him injury free. You would NEVER play him at the 5. Keep him where he is the very most effective. The 4. The 4 only. 30 minutes a game.

Next would be Payne basically the same and have him so active he draws the double team instead of Garcia. Feed him dunks and lay ins. 30 minutes a game.

The rest of the team is built around them. A 4 with a sweet shot at the 3. One that can rebound and bang.

Guards. 2 points that play as combos. Mitchell is one. Carrington is ready to be one, but please portal 2 more.

Lots of quality depth ready to step in as needed. Injuries will happen. Everyone gets 10 minutes PT or more. Fouls, injuries, and player exhaustion need to be planned for and reduced in likelihood.

Run the court. Lots of transition. Killer Bee defense. Play 9 or more players.

Result? 20 win season. .500 or better conference record. Advance in the dance.
Sure. But if Garcia and Payne are your two best players I’m not sure you are a 20
Win team unless all your other guys are well above average players.

This.

Other schools in smaller metro areas are clobbering Minnesota at NIL. Schools like that are the big show in town. Nebraska, Iowa State, Penn State, Wisconsin.

And the blue blood schools.

Wrestling for Minnesota has been poached. Both basketball programs are up against NIL frenzies at other schools.

Wisconsin isn't clobbering anyone with NIL, including Minnesota. The Gophers are struggling because of BJ, not because of NIL.

Saturday April 22nd poll...is it more likely we add an exciting player to go with Jack Wilson or that somebody from the group already in the fold leaves?

Coyle is a GREAT ad.

My hunch is neither.

Feel pretty good the guys we have now aren’t going anywhere, but also resigned to the fact if Gophers add anyone else it’s likely to be scraps.

My hunch is neither.

Feel pretty good the guys we have now aren’t going anywhere, but also resigned to the fact if Gophers add anyone else it’s likely to be scraps.
Yeah they definitely don't have 2 guys on campus this weekend that aren't scraps.

Top Bottom