Underclassmen leaving B1G for NFL draft

short ornery norwegian

Reaction score
Came across this list of underclassmen who have declared for the NFL draft. A few B1G players of note - submitted for your consideration/comments.

A record 73 underclassmen, including six first-team All-Americans, have been approved for the NFL draft on Saturday. That overall number of early entries is eight more than last year.
The NFL draft will be April 25 to 27 in New York.
The alphabetical list of underclassmen granted eligibility is as follows: (Edited for B1G players only)
5 Dwayne Beckford LB Purdue
6 Le'Veon Bell RB Michigan State
10 Duron Carter WR Ohio State
19 Travis Frederick C Wisconsin
21 William Gholston DE Michigan State
22 Johnathan Hankins DT Ohio State
60 Dion Sims TE Michigan State
61 Akeem Spence DT Illinois

Thoughts - not that many B1G players coming out early -8 of 73. MSU probably takes the biggest hit.

I'm surprised Bell is going early. I would have thought that he would want one more year to do some damage. But, the kid is a solid back. Not sure how he'll do in the NFL (always thought Shonne Green would be a starter but alas..) but I wish him luck.

A high % of those players who announce for the draft stopped attending classes in Oct of 2012. Shonn green story and posters here opened my eyes to that fact.

Bell is a battering ram whose shelf life as a RB is limited. He is NFL ready and is smart to leave now and not cut into his income as a professional by wearing his body down further playing college ball.

Bell is a battering ram whose shelf life as a RB is limited. He is NFL ready and is smart to leave now and not cut into his income as a professional by wearing his body down further playing college ball.

I can guarantee that Bell's body will get totally worn down at the pro level.

Should help against MSU. Our defense has to be happy to see Bell leave.

I know it's an odd comparison.. but that's exactly why Adrian Peterson dropped to the 7th pick in the draft.

I'm surprised Bell is going early. I would have thought that he would want one more year to do some damage. But, the kid is a solid back. Not sure how he'll do in the NFL (always thought Shonne Green would be a starter but alas..) but I wish him luck.

My thoughts exactly. Curious as to if he will stay at the RB position in the NFL. Not really your standard RB body type, however, still a well put together kid who looks NFL ready. Excited to see what happens!

As the story posted above points out not sure you can consider Duran Carter a Big Ten player leaving early since he has not been in the conference for multiple years due to his inability to get his grades straightened out. Definitely seems like a kid who thinks his last name will open doors for him, which may end up being the case as I am sure he will get a shot somewhere as a free agent, at that point he will be on his own.

MSU clearly takes the biggest hit losing their top offensive and top defensive players. Wisconsin losing their center could also be a big loss however they probably have someone waiting in the wings as they don't seem to have a lot of trouble churning out good offensive linemen.

Top Bottom