Under the lights at the Bank is an absolutely...

Reaction score
dramatic and electric home field advantage venue for the Gs...and shows up that way on TV...

For next season...2010-11, which home games do GHers think should be "under the lights"?

Bank choices: SoD, USC, NoIL, NW, PSU, tOSU, Iowa

My favorites: PSU and Iowa...although Iowa may be too deep in the season re weather concerns.

Big Ten (dumb) rule: no November outdoor night games. So no Iowa under the lights.

Personally, because the USC game is Yom Kippur, I would like that one under the lights (I would probably miss the 1st half anyways).

Agreed - I love the night game atmosphere.

And props to the Gopher marketing department...I LOVED the fireworks going off during the Rouster during halftime. That was a great surprise and nice touch.

Go Gophers!!

New England Gold

Actually, I prefer the evening games, especially when the weather is nice
early in the year.

It's more of a party atmosphere and more fun than waking up and coming in
for an 11:00 am. You have a lot more time for food and beverages before
going into the game.

We are so at the mercy of the BTN though, they usually get to decide a lot of
the gametimes for TV.

It's his (and the BTN'S) call, but if it were up to me, I would go with more late games,too!

The Big Ten Conference and its television contracts decide the game times. Not sure when the current contract is up but I would like to see less 11am games. Either add another 2.30pm game or night game each week. As it is now I believe there can only be one 2.30pm game and one night game per week.

And I agree, night games at TCF Bank Stadium are awesome.

Next year on Halloween weekend (October 30), Ohio State comes to town.

I'm squarely in favor of more night games in general at the New Brickhouse. 11 AM starts are a drag, mostly because it's a hell of a lot harder to be on the freeway at 5:30 AM than getting home at 2 AM.

Urban campus

With the U being the "city" school in the Big 10, I think it makes sense to play more night games. The classic Saturday afternoon college atmosphere rests in "college towns" so let them have it. We are an urban campus and should embrace it. I know people want tradition, but ask LSU how playing almost all night games works for tradition. My $0.02

Keep in mind EVERYONE hates those 11:00 starts. For Michigan, Ohio State, ect. It is noon and they still hate it. It's all about TV and that is a shame.

Just as Dallas & Detroit have a Thanksgiving game I think Mn should start a Halloween tradition. I know Halloween isn't always on Saturday.

I agree. TCF is really set up great for night games with the great scoreboard, the lights, the skyline, etc. I am hoping we can have at least a couple good night games every year.

The 11 am starts suck, but I assume we will still have a lot of them until we convince the TV folks that we are a mid-afternoon or evening national TV draw.

What do you all think of Thursday night games? I can't remember us ever playing a Thursday night game. I think it might be fun.

I agree. TCF is really set up great for night games with the great scoreboard, the lights, the skyline, etc. I am hoping we can have at least a couple good night games every year.

The 11 am starts suck, but I assume we will still have a lot of them until we convince the TV folks that we are a mid-afternoon or evening national TV draw.

What do you all think of Thursday night games? I can't remember us ever playing a Thursday night game. I think it might be fun.

This was going to be my post! :) I'm not sure if it's contractual or what, but the B10 has never played a Thursday night game (to my knowledge). It probably has a lot to do with the B10 preferring to have the conference schedule finished before or around Thanksgiving. Teams that play Thus games need a bye week the weekend prior and it stretches the season out.

That said, I think the B10 should definitely look at getting some Thurs night games on the schedule. When the Thurs games started it was kind of a football wasteland. But now big time teams play there all the time. Va Tech plays on Thursday twice this season for instance.

Like others, I'm a big fan of night games and wish we played more of them.

Wasn't our 2003 debacle against Michigan a Thursday night game in the Dome? I thought we had at least one or two Thurs. night games because of Twins playoff games in the mid-2000s.

Wasn't our 2003 debacle against Michigan a Thursday night game in the Dome? I thought we had at least one or two Thurs. night games because of Twins playoff games in the mid-2000s.

That was a Friday night game. And like you note, it was only because of Twins conflicts not b/c the B10 wanted to do it (Michigan screamed bloody murder about having to move that game to a Friday).

Based on what I've seen and heard, I'd say here and Madison have the best campus setups for night games. Other than having to bring in the temporary lights from Musco, Columbus isn't bad either.

That said, I haven't been to any other Televen games that were at night east of Madison, so I might well be wrong...

Michigan was on a Friday night

We played Illinois on a Thursday night in probrly the most boring game I ever sat though at the Dome - that was also the year of our kicking woes - especially punting - gave up a safety that game when we snapped it over the kickers head - the next week end was the disaster versus Wisconsin - ah such good memories!

Based on what I've seen and heard, I'd say here and Madison have the best campus setups for night games. Other than having to bring in the temporary lights from Musco, Columbus isn't bad either.

That said, I haven't been to any other Televen games that were at night east of Madison, so I might well be wrong...

What do you mean by "campus set ups" for night games? Because Penn State has best night atmosphere in the Big Ten pretty well locked down right now.

I want 3pm start times for USC, and PSU and 7pm for OSU. Should be gorgeous early in the season afternoons and get a taste of the evening feel for the sweater vest!

What do you mean by "campus set ups" for night games? Because Penn State has best night atmosphere in the Big Ten pretty well locked down right now.

Penn State does indeed have the best in-stadium night atmosphere, but being in a holler 120 miles from Nothing makes logistics a pain in the neck for local authorities.

I guess what I meant was that on the more urban campuses (UM, UW, and tOSU), they don't need to do as much additional stuff to prepare for a night game than on other campuses, i.e. haul to State College every portable construction site light in central Pennsylvania.

Penn State does indeed have the best in-stadium night atmosphere, but being in a holler 120 miles from Nothing makes logistics a pain in the neck for local authorities.

I guess what I meant was that on the more urban campuses (UM, UW, and tOSU), they don't need to do as much additional stuff to prepare for a night game than on other campuses, i.e. haul to State College every portable construction site light in central Pennsylvania.

Got it. I thought that's what you might have been getting at but wasn't sure.

Seeing the red tail lights and green traffic lights looking up 4th Av/St from the stadium sure has a holiday flair.

Top Bottom