UNC Coach Roy Williams warns Washington Post reporter ‘better step carefully’

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per the Washington Post:

Asked about his health during an interview on “The Dan Patrick Show” on Wednesday, North Carolina men’s basketball coach Roy Williams responded with a full-throated defense of his health and sharp criticism of a recent Washington Post story about him that Patrick referenced. The story, written by Kent Babb, detailed the apparent physical and emotional toll the past year has taken on Williams, whose team will face Syracuse in the Final Four on Saturday night in Houston and whose program is being investigated by the NCAA following accusations of academic fraud.

After Williams told Patrick he couldn’t remember the last time he’d taken a sick day, Patrick referenced the story and asked whether the story “was a fair assessment of how you feel and what you’ve gone through.”

“You know, Dan, I’ll try to treat this lightly because I could deal with it much more strongly,” Williams said. “I haven’t read it. Two of my close friends were so mad that if they were to step in front of that guy in the street, it would be a very bad scene because they felt like the guy took — lied. I started to try to say it nicely.

“One of my guys said, ‘I never said anything like that.’ It’s upset all my friends. I haven’t read it, don’t care to read it, never will read it. He’d better step carefully around any of my friends. My high school coach is one of the finest gentlemen I’ve ever known in my life and one of my assistants that was with me for 21 years — and they are so mad at that guy.”

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...rter-better-step-carefully-around-my-friends/

Go Gophers!!

tumblr_lvnl7eGhZr1qk7yxto1_500.gif

Worth reading the Washington Post piece

My guess is after the tribute Paige gave his coach on senior night if he said anything close to the quote in the story it was in a whole different context. Overall, I thought the piece illustrated the reality I'm guessing Roy has dealt with pretty fairly. Very confident he cares for his players...that is not a smokescreen.

So he's pissed about it but hasn't read it...

He doesn't want to show up his players who also can't read.

haha

I've always wondered why so much animosity toward Duke and so little toward UNC. At least Duke players have better general character.

Top Bottom