UMN Announces “Stripe Out” for Homecoming

Ope3
Admittedly, Gopher fans are often demur, even staid, but I wouldn't confuse them with plastic seats. And beside, TV audiences don't know what our stadium looks like when empty, only we know what the stadium looks like empty.

Ope3
Admittedly, Gopher fans are often demur, even staid, but I wouldn't confuse them with plastic seats. And beside, TV audiences don't know what our stadium looks like when empty, only we know what the stadium looks like empty.
With all due respect, anyone who has watched Gopher football over the years has a pretty good idea what the stadium looks like empty. But it's getting better!

Should keep this near the top of the forum.

image_handler.aspx

Got an email telling me which color my season ticket section is. Fortunately I have plenty of gold gear, but I know that it's a tougher color to come by....and the casual fan might not have anything. Seems like they are doing a decent job of promoting it....but if they really wanted this to turn some heads....they would have gotten a sponsor to help with providing shirts. It's happened (not often) in the past.

At the very least....they should be selling cheap....mass produced shirts at the game for $5 to $10 just to try and make this semi successful. Really interested to see how it turns out. At least they did the smart thing by having the studen section gold. That should pop as the students should have pretty easy access to gold gear.

Actually feeling a little more optimistic. At least the Athletic Department is actually TRYING to reach and notify those fans who might care. That's a plus.

That offered, we have a lot of folks in 211-212 at least that show up for big games in everything imaginable except maroon and/or gold. I can only assume they were gifted the tix or just saw a big game and decided to attend. Fact is an off-colored-butt-in-a-seat is better than zero. Don't really understand it but...

1664421997152.png

So what do you all think?

Is this going to actually work?? Or are we going down in flames?

So what do you all think?

Is this going to actually work?? Or are we going down in flames?

I doubt it's going to be overwhelming. Really comes down to how the gold sections show out. We have maroon seats.....so those sections should look fine. Will there be enough gold in those designated sections to actually stand out? Student section should look good.

I tailgate with 12 people. During yesterday's group text, I asked if everyone had the right color for the stripe out.

Six replied, "Yes!"

Two replied, "I think I have a gold shirt."

Two replied, "I don't have a gold shirt."

My buddy and I are in a maroon section so we are set.

I will bring a couple of extra gold shirts for the lazy ones who won't put any effort into this.

I have a single, old, faded, short sleeved gold tee shirt. everything else is maroon. I've actually gone to a few stores looking for something new and totally struck out in my size so I'm stuck wearing that. Definitely not ideal but I'm doing my best.

I have a single, old, faded, short sleeved gold tee shirt. everything else is maroon. I've actually gone to a few stores looking for something new and totally struck out in my size so I'm stuck wearing that. Definitely not ideal but I'm doing my best.

If you want, you can try emailing Justin Gaard. He said he'd figure something out for ppl that needed help but no one has contacted him.you might get a free shirt out of it.

[email protected]

Last edited:

I recall picking up a tshirt at Dicks a few days prior to the start of the season. I distinctly remember noting to myself that they had a decent selection of maroon shirts, sweatshirts, etc. but only ONE style of gold shirt, off to the side. I literally thought to myself "If they every try another one of those ill-fated 'gold outs' - THIS is the reason they always fail."

If you want, you can try emailing Justin Gaard. He said he'd figure something out for ppl that needed help but no one has contacted him.you might get a free shirt out of it.

[email protected]

Might be worth a try.

It's obvious they don't want to go the path of giving out free shirts to everyone. I was thinking they should really have tables set up in the concourse on Saturday selling gold and maroon long sleeve tees at cost or only slightly above. You could probably get by with only haveing M and XL available. Tell people that any profits go directly to Dinkytown Athletes. I would definitely drop $20 for one of those. Any unsold ones could end up in the bookstore on a clearance rack or be put away until the next Stripe Out.

Might be worth a try.

It's obvious they don't want to go the path of giving out free shirts to everyone. I was thinking they should really have tables set up in the concourse on Saturday selling gold and maroon long sleeve tees at cost or only slightly above. You could probably get by with only haveing M and XL available. Tell people that any profits go directly to Dinkytown Athletes. I would definitely drop $20 for one of those. Any unsold ones could end up in the bookstore on a clearance rack or be put away until the next Stripe Out.
This model would be best done with the season ticket holders where you name the stripe-out game...assign the colors...and offer the shirts as part of the tix transaction. Doesn't help with the non-season tix purchases but covers what can be controlled ahead of time. I like the NIL part too but that would have the U choosing a side...

Top Bottom