UMD Football---Odd story

I am not sure what your question or concern is. If his suspension was for a year and he did everything he was supposed to do, then he should be reinstated. I expect we don't have the whole story since you are raising the question. I certainly wouldn't make any further judgement than I have with what I know.

The red flag for me is that he hasn't practiced with the team in a year. It means he's taking a roster spot from someone....and can you imagine the coach's conversation with the guy he would replace in the starting line-up?..."Ummm...yeah....I realize you sweated through those August practices and have been committed to us for the entire season, but we found out someone who hasn't practiced or played with us since last December is now eligible. And since he's better than you and could help us win a championship, we're going to have him start in your place."

The red flag for me is that he hasn't practiced with the team in a year. It means he's taking a roster spot from someone....and can you imagine the coach's conversation with the guy he would replace in the starting line-up?..."Ummm...yeah....I realize you sweated through those August practices and have been committed to us for the entire season, but we found out someone who hasn't practiced or played with us since last December is now eligible. And since he's better than you and could help us win a championship, we're going to have him start in your place."

You beat me to it.

I trust that Coach Nielsen was upfront with the team about Winfield's status and the pending situation upon his return. I would think that the staff is very confident that there are zero issues with the players by putting him out there.

I am pretty sure that the rules violation was a failed drug test. The NCAA administers random drug tests (for performing enhancing drugs) after playoff games. If my memory serves correctly he failed one of these tests along with a couple of other players.

GopherHole - the #1 source for all of your UMD Bulldogs updates!

It is better than having North Dakota updates though.

You beat me to it.

I trust that Coach Nielsen was upfront with the team about Winfield's status and the pending situation upon his return. I would think that the staff is very confident that there are zero issues with the players by putting him out there.

It was for a failed drug test last December. My brother is an O-lineman on UMD, and Coach Nielsen actually made DJ and the other players get up in front of the team last year and announce that he was suspended as part of the condition for DJ being able to return this year. He has been working the entire season by himself, and from what it sounds like, the players on the team are very excited to have him back. I wouldn't be surprised if they come out even a little more pumped up than usual on Saturday against Wayne State.

If he has served his suspension, and demonstrates that he is in football shape, knows all his routes and assignments, and shows in practice that he's better than the current starter, I don't see anything wrong here.

Top Bottom